Forums Latest Members
  1. sgtpry Sep 29, 2018

Just want to share this video,

Omega should sponsor him to visit :)

Have a nice weekend OF!

Samir, Njnjcfp88, Atin and 21 others like this.
  2. Sherbie Sep 29, 2018

Sweet man

You pays yourr money and you takes your choice, although Al may have something to say about the lack of finger ’doms

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 29, 2018

Very nice. Thanks for posting!

I would be happy to contribute to a crowd-funding effort to pay his way to Switzerland.

Njnjcfp88, sgtpry, haqq777 and 2 others like this.
  4. Geezer Sep 29, 2018

Wow, that's a great video! It's not exactly a modern workshop but it is probably very similar to how many watchmakers during previous generations operated in the western world. For example movement holders were much less common compared to now, and the movement was generally held in one hand as seen in the video.

Pun likes this.
  5. Pun Sep 29, 2018

Count me in any day Sir.

Edited Sep 29, 2018
  6. Pun Sep 29, 2018

7. sdre Sep 30, 2018

Wow, reminds me of my watchmaker in Chinatown!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 30, 2018

I have a lot of respect for people who can do this work in those sort of conditions. It's certainly not the way I work, but for the market he's in it clearly works for him.

It is amazing what people can do to adapt in less than ideal circumstances, and keep things operating. For anyone who has been to Cuba and seen the 50's era US cars still driving around, it's the same sort of thing. I have a lot of respect for the people who were able to keep those cars going for a lot of years, despite not having any parts. But I will say that doesn't mean I want them working on my BMW any time soon...;)

Cheers, Al

9. Guiguit Sep 30, 2018

Such a nice story and guy!
    That what make fall in love with watches!

10. S.H. Sep 30, 2018

Are you sure? Before brass holders, "viroles" (in French) were probably used; it is a set of circular movement holders in wood for the old ones, in plastic for the more modern. I still use a set of wooden ones regularly depending on the task, it is a traditional tool.

[​IMG]

11. Geezer Sep 30, 2018

I use the same ones also (old ones in bakelite). They are very convenient for casing and working on the movement side once the dial and hands have already been assembled.

I'm sure there were plenty of watchmakers using old movement holders or the "viroles", but practices were I'm sure much more varied than they are now. Apart from the Gentleman in the video, I haven't witnessed any watchmakers use their hands instead of a movement holders. However, going through old books I've encountered more than a few pictures and descriptions where only hands were used. Any I guess why not, although not as stable or clean as a movement holder, hands give you a lot of sensitivity.

Pun likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 1, 2018

I actually find more old watchmakers wearing old Omegas than just about any brand in Australia at least, either 5xx series automatics or things like Bond Seamaster Pros. I'm guessing just the fact that they know they can get parts and their generally non-troublesome nature is a part of that.

13. stefman Oct 2, 2018

Great story, very interesting. Thanks for sharing

14. stahlmotte Oct 3, 2018

Thanks for posting the story ;)

15. OWa Oct 3, 2018

I would join you. Nice idea!

16. MCC Oct 3, 2018

Thanks for posting nice story