Forums Latest Members

Old Time horological supply house that I miss

1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 18, 2016

One old school watch/jewelers supply house that was my go to supply house has been closed for many years. The supply house was around since the early part of the 1920's. That shop was great the service was better than fantastic.
    At one time it was the largest supply house in my area.

If you would go to the supply house when they opened at 8am they usually had at least ten or more locel watchmakers, jewelers, watch flippers, hobbyists, collectors waiting on watch or clock repairs.

When you wanted items like crystals, dials, hands, crowns etc. when you purchased the item. The counter guys at the desk would take your watch into the shop in the back. In that shop on staff were two or three retired high end watchmakers and clockmakers your watch went into the shop they would install items like hands, crowns, crystals, for free while you waited

If it was a complex job if I recall they most I ever paid was ten dollars for the service. When a part was not in stock they could get the parts within a couple days. The place did not price gouge on parts one price wholesale to all customers. Since the supply house was around since the early 1920's they had a parts stock that was one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Not long after watch collectors and flippers figured out that those old hard to get parts were worth their weight in gold the shops old stock soon began drying up. One of the counter guys mentioned when the so called his words shyster would walkin to buy a part.

If they had the parts the next question was how many do you have I will take them all.The original owner passed away the house was then owned by his wife. She had managers run the shop. I can only hope some day to find another supply house that could even come close to the service of that supply house

Edited Jun 18, 2016
    Vitezi likes this.