Forums Latest Members
  1. JWallace0985 Oct 13, 2013

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so forgive my lack of a proper introduction! I recently found a gold plated 1962 Seamaster in a box of junk at the jewelry store I work at. It is in fair condition and just needs a little TLC to be brought back. I am about to send it off to our watch guy for cleaning and replacing of worn out parts with OEM's. In the meantime I have been researching availability of genuine parts, more specifically, a period correct crown. The current crown on the watch is an unmarked aftermarket piece. The case number on this watch is 166.002 and I am having trouble finding the old style Omega logo crown. I've cruised Ofrei to see what is available and they only list the modern style logo crown as a replacement for this case number. Perhaps I'm being too anal, but I would REALLY like to keep this thing looking as original as is realistically possible. My question is, could one of the older style crowns be modified to fit the stem for this particular model?
    Old logo 2.jpg This one pictured above is basically the style I am really wanting. Is this do-able, or am I S.O.L?

New logo.jpg This style pictured above is listed as the replacement on Ofrei. Again, I'd really like to avoid this one.

**WHOOPS! Please ignore the picture below. I thought I deleted it from the post, but I guess I'm stuck with it!**

Old logo.jpg
  2. John R Smith Oct 13, 2013

JW

Welcome to the Forum and I hope that your restoration project goes well. I assume from the case ref and from your illustration that this is a front loading unishell case which has a split stem on the crown. Are you sure that the watch is gold plate and not gold capped? For the steel case version the Omega Vintage Database does illustrate a crown very like your first example, so the Ofrei one is a puzzle. There are a lot of people here who are expert on these 1960s Omegas and they will probably have the answers you seek.

Good luck with it!

3. Apa Oct 13, 2013

Something like this...... sorry bad picture
    This is 166.001

WP_20131013_002.jpg
  4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 13, 2013

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2013

If you can't find the correct split stem crown, (the length of the stem is critical) a standard crown of the appropriate style can easily be fitted with a female stem cut to length.

The crown noted by hoi is NOT going to fit your watch.

Here is what you need.

IMG_4224.JPG

6. JWallace0985 Oct 13, 2013

image.jpg
    Not sure if it's a unishell or not, so hopefully this pic will help! It also appears to me to be gold plated.

7. Apa Oct 13, 2013

picture from back helps more...

8. JWallace0985 Oct 13, 2013

Its just your general screw down caseback with the raised hippocampus :)

9. Apa Oct 13, 2013

Then its not unishell...

10. JWallace0985 Oct 13, 2013

Alrighty, I'll take your word on that one. I'll be honest in the fact that while I am an Omega fan, I haven't researched this watch intensely. Just more of a general overview.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2013

Still need this style crown, just not a split stem type.

29729-ea0528a12171670857b2dd34efa92630.jpg

12. JWallace0985 Oct 13, 2013

alright, I THINK I have an idea of what we need here. So my question is, based on what we've established by getting a crown that is not for a split stem, how do I choose the right one from Ofrei? What stock number are we looking at getting? Or is this something I should convey to our watch guy as best as I can? I don't know who he sources OEM Omega parts from!