Forums Latest Members

Old Seamaster with a honeycomb dial - your thoughts?

1. Y.S. Mar 18, 2014

Hi,

This is my newest purchase, photos are taken from ebay since I haven't received it yet.
    It went for 405$, and is supposedly in a good mechanical state. The crown is wrong, and the gold capping is not well attached as can be seen from the back photo. I assume this could be fixed, as the capping seems whole.
    I really love that dial. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Your thoughts?

2. John R Smith Mar 18, 2014

Where is the problem with the gold cap?

3. Y.S. Mar 18, 2014

Look carefully at the watch's left side (from the back). I am adding a second photo of the right side, where it is actually a little worse. It seems like the capping is about to peel off.
    Since it is a thin layer of a rather soft metal, it is probably at least prone to some cosmetic damage.
    [​IMG]

4. John R Smith Mar 18, 2014

If that is what's happening, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

5. Y.S. Apr 29, 2014

Hi,

Any idea if the script matches the date? Or if the dial matches the case? The mechanism is from 1956-7, it's a 491. The script seems unlike any other same period watches but I don't think the dial was ever refinished. I also couldn't find any later period automatic Seamasters with a subsecond hand that are not a "Seamaster 30", so I assume that this is not a franken but perhaps a rare model. Any thoughts?

I have Just received the watch a few days ago, I think it really looks nice with the patinated dial.
    It seems that the capping is OK, so I don't have to worry about that. The hands aren't synched properly though, so it is now at the watch shop. [​IMG][​IMG]