Forums Latest Members
  1. frasatriani Jul 25, 2022

Hi Guys,

how do you deal with finding in internet old omega references? sometimes i see posts of watches i'd like to buy but I find different ref on internet related to a specific watch. In the omega website are not posted old watches with their ref.

The goal is not being scammed and having a reputable source to check.

Can anyone please help me?

TIA

Francesco

2. ConElPueblo Jul 25, 2022

Ciao Francesco.

Could you post an example of what you have experienced?

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 26, 2022

What do you mean by ‘old’?
    After mid fifties the model reference was engraved inside the caseback. For earlier refrences I refer either to period catalogs /advertising or to Extracts of Archives.
    For catalogs I am not aware of any well documented online database, I have constituted my own library, over the years, it became a parallel collection…
    All catalogs don’t show factory refrences, some have specific (to retailer? country? who knows now…) refs, others even don’t have refs at all. Some show different refs with the axact same illustration… Like everything when talking about old Omega, it is a mess…

UncleBuck, Mark020 and OMTOM like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 26, 2022

Unless you have been collecting sales and technical catalogues for the last fifty years or more then you are out of luck.

Happily, there are members of this forum who have accumulated immense amounts of Omega data and they happily share their knowledge and resources for our members.

So, if you are after a "reputable source", then this is it.

UncleBuck, Vitezi and Mark020 like this.
  5. frasatriani Jul 26, 2022

Ciao Caro,

not at the moment, when i'll find an omega like the situation I said I'll be glad to show it to you. In general i'm referring to old references, in order to understand and check them. If I have an image of the correct ref, can easily spot a fake (or aftermarket) as a first analyses .

thanks

6. frasatriani Jul 26, 2022

Yes this is definitely the right place to look for. I was looking for a reputable website/guide in order to not bother anyone with posts; but I'll do it.

Thanks again!

7. frasatriani Jul 26, 2022

Just to point out, I'm a newbie under this pont of view. Always been fascinated by watches (I've an old Omega), but digging into the sector, loking for watches of some years ago, I'm not able to say whether or not all the components are original or not.
    Thanks
    Francesco

8. Dan S Jul 26, 2022

The OVD can be helpful, but it is certainly not complete or easy to navigate. Not every reference has a photo, and even when there is a photo, it is only one representative photo of that reference.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/vintage-watches

9. frasatriani Jul 26, 2022

Exactly Dan, that's the point.

thanks

10. Dan S Jul 26, 2022

What's the point? You already knew about the OVD? It does have a lot of photos and references, so it's sometimes useful. Aside from that, there's no shortcut, unfortunately. It takes time and effort to develop expertise.

11. frasatriani Jul 27, 2022

I was referring to this part of your quote: Not every reference has a photo, and even when there is a photo, it is only one representative photo of that reference.
    obv the expertise has to be built over time with patience and consistency|!

12. TexOmega Jul 27, 2022

Bothering collectors with posts is the WHOLE reason for this Forum.

With plenty of pictures, of course.

Welcome

Tire-comedon likes this.
  13. ConElPueblo Jul 27, 2022

The various Omega references usually have a number of different dial types, making a reference catalogue a difficult task. The reason I asked about what age of watch you meant was pre-war Omegad don't have the model reference on the caseback, making identification even harder.

Your worst enemy is not fakes, but redials and dial swaps. Knowing good from bad will take reading and practice, no easy way about it.

Dan S and OMTOM like this.
  14. Bourne1984 Jul 27, 2022

Do some research, post here, go with your gut. Triangulate the three and a bit of luck helps.

15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2022

Especially practice taking good pictures and asking here first!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the history, the science and the art of horology and Omega!

OMTOM likes this.
  16. frasatriani Jul 27, 2022

thanks man! appreciated