Forums Latest Members
  1. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 13, 2015

Hi gents, Im quite a fan of these older Omegas, am wondering if it is worth picking up, accepting that ill ikely need to get it serviced?

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 13, 2015

Depends on the price. I love these dial designs so I would say go for it. What is the size?

3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 13, 2015

yes, worth to pick it up. it will be small, but easy to service. if you need a watchmaker for that, send me a PM. kind regards from NSW. achim

Matty01 likes this.
  4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 14, 2015

The seller is a member of this forum. Size is 32.5mm according to the listing. 26.5 inside. Nice watch.

Matty01 likes this.
  5. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 14, 2015

Cool,thanks gents

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2015

Hmmmmm, I just noticed this thread, I think the advice given here should be heeded.

I don't want anybody, especially @Matty01 to get stung.

:coffee:

hoipolloi likes this.
  7. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 14, 2015

Hi,
    Interesting. First of all, I am not connected to the seller and have no interest in defending the auction.

For me, the hands are correct for a 26.5 dating from1932-33, when they were put on for example Euroos and Phoibos (see AJTT P120-121) until 1937 at least. The serial numbers date the watch from around 1935-36 so it could match. I think that the minute hands seeming to exceed the minute markers could be due to a parallax error. The only minus I would see is that I would have expected to see this type of modern hands with a modern style numbered dial.

Regarding the dial, it has for sure been washed. I find the logo quite convincing, but I can't be affirmative on it. The most disturbing detail is the hour markers with a triangle shape, which I've never seen on Omega from this period, it was a thiker line.

Regarding the dial and the hands matching together, well, once again there were so many different dial+hands combination at that time that it is mposible to say if one was original or not. The raised indexes seem to be gold color, which would lead to gold color hands, but with no certitude. If I hadn't seen the hands, I would have guessed a pair of leaf shaped gold hands, but this combination doesn't look impossible.

I can show some catalog extracts with those hands on 26.5 on this period. No picture of this dial (raised Breguet numbers) in my documentation so I don't have a reference to see if it was redone.

As a conclusion, remember that wor watches of that age, the only thing one can say is if the dial and hands are correct or not and, in some cases, if the dial was redone or not.For this particular watch I can only say that the hands are correct and seem to be of the right length, and, to be fair, I can't be affirmative on the dial being original or redone on those pictures, nor if this combination is original or not.

Of course that's only my opinion and with a little practice I've learnt to be very humble in expressing this kind of opinion, especially on pictures.

Take care

TNTwatch likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 14, 2015

To all here,

Firstly, I would never call on @Tire-comedon s comment on a vintage Omega, it would be akin to a layman questioning a cardinal.

It wasn't my intention to deliberately sabotage this watch, thus the use of :whistling: on the other thread.

I've already replied to Steve and he understands my post on the other thread.

The one failing of the internet is that it's not like a bar, or a cafe ,or a group of blokes around the barbie.

There you can say something outrageous and wink at the target, or nudge him in the ribs and all know it's just banter or a joke.

A screen full of text can't convey that, until we get 3D live sensor equipped reality, and I will not see that.

We come from many lands, we come from many cultures and we all have many ways of looking and understanding things.

The occasional fog of confusion will always creep in, and the best way to clear the fog is to blow away the doubt.

I hope I have done so.

Cheers

Jim

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 14, 2015

I have a question on this watch for the experts. I notice a pronounced "step" in the case.

image.jpg

By any chance, is the bezel missing?

I think more research is needed on this one before bidding.
    gatorcpa

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 14, 2015

case looks like the correct stepped case. I do not think, there ever was a bezel. and the markers and numerals look like tarnished silver to me. should clean up fine. just my 2 centavos......... kind regards. achim

11. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 14, 2015

Not a missing bezel but a stepped bezel. I have some from the same period, like the Naiad type 1 for example. I will post some pictures.

Take care

watchyouwant likes this.
  12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 14, 2015

Well Jim, in my opinion, you should never hesitate to call on any of my comments. There is only one thing I know about collecting watches from this period : I don't know much, and what I think I know today may prove wrong tomorrow. There is no definitive opinion and evrything I say is to be considered as opinion only, not worth more than anyone else's opinion.
    I always try to support what I write with some documentation, and I try to collect asmore information as we al do for our areas of interrest, but I'm afarid a lot of uncertainty will remain for watches of this age.

There was no sabotage of the auction, bidders should participate to an auction knowing what they do. In this sense, your post was certainly more helpful than mine because it led to the conclusion that one must be careful with this watch.

Take care,

Yann

13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jun 14, 2015

You're right, it's a stepped case, not a stepped bezel, I used the wrong word in my previous answer.

14. michael e Still learning. Jun 14, 2015

This one is mine.
    I think the comments about the dial and hands are wrong but am happy to be proved wrong.
    It looks like I need to pull this one for now.
    Thanks Michael
    EDIT.
    Found the same dial and the same hands on other watches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 14, 2015
    watchyouwant likes this.