Forums Latest Members

Old - New : How do they compare?

1. SynMike Jun 9, 2012

Omega experts,

Are new Omegas much better made than the old ones were? I've owned a couple of vintage ones and several very recent models. It really seems to me that vintage Omegas are generally a good value.

Is the quality of a modern Omega a notable improvement over the quality of a vintage one? I'm especially interested to know about movements. I can better judge the fit and finish of the case, hands, dial, crown and other visible components of any watch whether vintage or modern. But are modern movements notably better than vintage ones?

Here is a comparison, maybe not a great one. But these are 2 I have on hand.

This is my manual wind from the mid 70s (as far as I can tell) with 625 movement. I guess market value might be $175?
    [​IMG]

This is my Planet Ocean, maybe worth $2500 used?
    [​IMG]

2. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 9, 2012

Respectable Member SynMike

This is just my personal opinion, a lover of vintage-watches and not an expert, in any way.

To me all watches, whether old or new, are good. However, if one is after quality and beauty of the case and dial, there is nothing that can come close to vintage-watches. Raw materials were cheap and so was labor. As a result of this, watches of the last generation were built to last more than a life-time and reasonably priced, too.

Quality went in, before the name goes out. The Swiss craftsmen were proud of their creations and best of all, all parts were 100% Swiss-made, whether in-house or not. Today, many parts for a watch are made in third-world countries, subsequently assembled in Switzerland, rubber-stamped 'Swiss Made'. Moreover, many established brand-names are now owned by big corporations. Money-making comes first, while beauty, as well as, quality is only skin-deep, I reckon.

I know nothing about a watch movement, though many claim modern movements are better than the older ones. I do have my doubt, though this is arguable. Only the experts can give an opinion on this subject.

I can go sleepless, admiring and looking at vintage-watches. Put a modern watch in front of me, I fall asleep, the next moment. Anyway, I am still trying to learn the art of falling in love with modern watches of whatever brand-name. I have been not successful, trying to locate the where-about of the so-called beauty and quality of our modern watches. I do not think, I am alone, with this opinion.

Your Omega De Ville is indeed very attractive and thanks for sharing.

Thank-you.

Thank-you.

3. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2012

The quality of the case and bracelet is certainly better on modern watches. Dial finishes, especially before the early 60's, were not that great so the modern ones are probably better. We'll have to wait 40 years to tell for sure though.

Now when it comes to movements, I'd say the phrase "they don't make'm like they used to" applies. The 55x/56x/75x were some of the finest mass production movementsever from any manufacturer. It seems the latest generation from Omega (ie: 850x, 930x) are excellent and might be an exception.

Pizza! Pizza!

4. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 9, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

I agree with you, the verdict will come in 40 years' time. In my opinion, generally it will never be as good as our vintage-watches of today. I will not be around by then, unfortunately.

Hopefully not with watches too, as in a motor-car before the manufacturers even put it on the road, they are already talking about the recycling of parts.

The only regret for falling in love with vintage-watches is, we cannot bring them along with us, when we leave this beautiful world of ours.

Thank-you.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 9, 2012

I think that one testament to the quality of vintage watches, Omega or otherwise, is that so many are still around and being proudly worn a generation or more after they were created, although they were likely not necessarily made with an expectation of such longevity.

Thank you Mr. Brandt, Mr. Wilsdorf, et al.

Dollar for dollar you just can't beat vintage.