Forums Latest Members
  1. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 14, 2017

Mr Postman made my day yesterday, just in time before the extended Easter weekend.

IMG_7929.JPG

Very interesting, one of them is totally different inside - white silk instead of velvet - including a golden stamp from a reseller.

Didn't have time to make nice pictures yet, will update the thread asap.

Anybody else with a bias for this blue pattern?

2. pmontoyap Apr 14, 2017

Cant wait for the update...Be sure to include a short story on how you found 3 of them ::popcorn::

3. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 14, 2017

So you don't like the white based versions? ::confused2::
    :D

Very nice set. :thumbsup: Again, looking forward to more pictures and the story.

Only the catalogue/brochure and the rather large photo set box for me, so far.
    craters.jpg

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 14, 2017

I have learned about the catalogue earlier this week - had never seen it before. Need to find myself an example ::love::

The photo Box is huge, difficult to store, but a great piece of history. I absolutely love that set.

IMG_6838.JPG

:thumbsup:

5. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 15, 2017

As promised, some addiotional photos :

IMG_7965.JPG IMG_7966.JPG IMG_7969.JPG IMG_7968.JPG

And here is the interesting one. The retailer stickers make me think it this silk interior might be original however I have never seen that yet.

IMG_7970.JPG IMG_7971.JPG

Any comments on this one? Has anybody here already seen a similar silk interior?

Regarding how did I find them, well, it's been an online auction on a well known website. Only one was offered, I bought it and the seller asked me if I might want more. I have kindly accepted his offer :)

omegaman, ahartfie, Pogo83 and 5 others like this.
  6. chows99 Apr 15, 2017

Loved these old world boxes! It's full of nostslgia. Keep it in an environment with minimal moisture!

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 15, 2017

Where did you get that cool moon globe from ?

8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 15, 2017

Managed to pick it up on ebay.com.au (approx $35 from memory)

I've been looking for a couple of years at bringing one in from the States after reading an old thread on collectspace.com of something like "top 10 affordable items to get a space collection started".
    Mine is only six inches in diameter but I think it is really cool with the 'crater' base even though the base itself is really thin plastic.
    There are 12 inch versions out there made by Replogle and McNally some are from the Sixties but there are modern ones too. Some are tin, like mine, but some seem to be some kind of cardboard construction or overlay. There's traditional style 'spinning' globes like the old school world globes and several different styles of perspex bases.

Wow! That's some luck.

There's been some reasonably large catalogue collections (sold individually) up on eBay recently but I haven't seen another of these for a whiile. Think the last one was German language.

For anyone else interested the photo boxes seem to be turning up more frequently.
    Looks like this one in Belgium sold off eBay. Was asking US$1,350 BIN or Best Offer
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NASA-Omega-...GtrHUjtleqS8CfFzv6cWQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This one was a proper auction and sold at EUR 750.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original...HMgB24%2FKV4Z08rqRKJQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Mine came from France and was a bargain at around AUS $60. Didn't even get stung too much for postage.

As Kov says the box is huge. It's not going to fit through your letter box. You may even struggle to get it in your front door. :D

9. uwsearch Apr 16, 2017

I'm the lucky owner of one of these too. My father in law kept 2 or 3 sets for 45 years. Hundreds were produced and distributed to omega dealers around the world.... but very few remaining.
    [​IMG]

10. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 16, 2017

:thumbsup:

Do you also have the white folio with the plain text story and signatures?
    I heard there was also a small booklet included - the one I don't have :( - but I don't really know how does it look like.

Those sets still pop-up time to time for sale here and there but it's very hard to get one in a perfect conservation condition and complete.

11. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 16, 2017

12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 16, 2017

That makes my two sets the unknown sets and far more valuable. I actually have one with the original outer shipping box from the Norman Morris corporation. There is also a set on eBay being parted out.

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 16, 2017

There were hundreds of them. SMH used this as gifts / giveaways to customers, suppliers and retailers.

Another version did also exist - a white box instead of the crater pattern, with the same content.

14. omegaman Apr 21, 2017

...some more blue crater pattern :D

blue crater pattern.jpg

Emeister, ahartfie and kov like this.
  15. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 21, 2017

Now that's cool ! @omegaman Ready to part with one of those catalogs? ;)

I love the white/crater boxes - if anybody has one to trade for a black/crater box, please let me know :thumbsup:

omegaman likes this.
  16. omegaman Apr 21, 2017

Sure... if you sell me on of your crater boxes we have a deal. I would pay a little extra of course ;)

kov likes this.