Forums Latest Members

Old 60's EMES clock - working mechanism?

1. cjdcjdgus Sep 8, 2016

Hi Guys,

I purchased a 60's beautiful wall clock. It is made by EMES, Germany.
    Everything is going perfectly. Time keeps on accurately.
    Only thing I don't like is an annoying TIKing sound every 2-3 minutes.
    What I found is that a yellow toothed wheel (having spiral spring on it) in right lower corner in 2nd picture
    slowly rotates clockwise until some point on the wheel meets with long white vertical bar connected up to
    top red coils.
    Then, it suddenly rotate back counterclockwise about 60 degree.
    At this point, annoying TIK sound comes.
    Then, the wheel slowly rotates again to repeat this process.

This clock must work in this way????
    What is the role of this process?
    This clock is run by battery, which is not shown in 2nd picture. Battery is just located below movement.

You guys have any idea?
    This annoying sound can be fixed?

EMES clock.jpg movement.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 8, 2016

It's an old "kick" wind electric movement. Every now and again the solenoid kicks the lever which "winds" against the long spring which unwinds until the next kick.

You would be better off replacing the movement with a modern quartz silent running sweep movement.

Giff2577, cjdcjdgus and Vitezi like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 8, 2016

If you replace it, keep the old movement. They are now an oddity and a bit rare and should be kept just for that reason.

Giff2577, ahartfie, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  4. cjdcjdgus Sep 8, 2016

JimInOz, I really appreciate your comments.

Jwit likes this.
  5. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 9, 2016

yea but why would you do that!? then it would just be another crappy looking clock... would you switch out you 565 from your 66' 300 with an ETA 815.112 (crappiest swiss quartz i can think of on the fly) so you dont need to worry about winding it? NO you probably wouldnt...

also bulova with a transitional WAY too loud! and takes 5 minutes to get the balance in "full swing" after that sounds like a slow machine gun

s-l1600 (12).jpg s-l1600 (13).jpg s-l1600 (14).jpg
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 9, 2016

Why would you do that?

The OP seemed pissed off by the kick sound every three minutes or so. I suggested a modern silent sweep replacement so that there was no noise and an increase in accuracy and reliability.

The old movement could be kept and mounted on a stand so that one could witness the action of the movement, but not have it banging away all night.

The result would be an enjoyable functional clock and an interesting ornament and the whole thing could be restored to original condition if required.

As to your Bulova. It's beautiful, and I would be tempted to mount it face to the wall just to watch the action of the movement :D
    Unfortunately the flippy time complication precludes a modern upgrade, which is probably a good thing in this case.

FullyWound likes this.
  7. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 9, 2016

my point still stands tho and (assuming not too many people are reading this thread) would be tempted to open a secondary "rogue account"
    "NoobyWound" or "WoundFully(up)" maybe and firsly like all my own comments so i look witty and popular and witty before starting the thread

"I HAVE THIS OLD LIKE OMEGA 300mm YEA AND LIKE IF I DON'T WEAR IT FOR TWO OR THREE DAYS IT DON'T TELL THE RIGHT TIME AND IT TICKS WELL LOUD NEXT TO "MY FAIR LADIES" HEAD SHE SAYS SHE CAN'T SLEEP LIKE SOOO CAN I REPLACE THE MOVEMENT WITH A NEW BETTER QUARTZ ONE BECAUSE I LIKE IT OTHER THAN WHAT THE JEWELER CALLED "PATINA" ON THE HANDS BUT I PAINTED THAT WITH A FAIRE BIT OF TIPEX AND LOOKS "NOT BAD" NOW... I DONT JUST WANNA BIN IT IT WERE ME OLD MANS... SO IT HAS THAT SENTIMENTALIRTY LIKE..."

and see what reaction i get? poor clocks poor electrical mechanical movements... where is the love!