Forums Latest Members

Ok need help with Vintage HiFi Gear >>>>

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Hi everyone...

Been playing with Vintage Hi Fi gear for the better part of all my life...

I have saved a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10 from a dumpster.... no joke. I even found the original column stands for them to boot.... They were dustly, sheetrock and compound... on them ... The woofer sourounds were toast... I had them restored.. They play well... @TonyC has heard them many times over the years..

Now I am thinking of finding a subwoffer to match up with them... The original DQ-1W , hard to find . missed two over the last month...

Just wondering if anyone on the OF has any insight .....

I know home hi fi is on its way out... same as pocketwatches and soon wrist watches... as technology moves forward....

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

2. jzzmusician Jan 15, 2017

Had a pair of DQ-10s back in the early 80s. They were a fine speaker and ahead of their time. Had the subwoofer too!
    I would head over to audiogon dot com and ask some questions. Many fine and knowledgeable people over there.

Bob
    (Quad 2805s now)

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 15, 2017

Love the DQ-10s and also owned a pair back in the day (powered by a Bryston amp before few outside of Canada had heard of the company).

Edited by a mod Jan 15, 2017
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

dunno .... I don't really agree that home hi fi is on its way out with vinyl on the up swing and lots of new gear on the market. Personally any good sub will work if you get the cross over right. Many are produced as stand alone units which can work with any system.

wagudc, warrydog and Tbone like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

My personal fave manufacturer for value for money and musical / accurate speakers is B&W. CM Series.

blufinz52 likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

Who owns Dahlquist ?

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

Audiogon is a great site! So it seems this is a three piece system and you need the cross over and the sub. Seems that the cross over is the mission critical piece. Also seems that there is a passionate diy following for these.

8. Shibata Jan 15, 2017

HiFi......one of my other passions :)
    My nickname is a type of stylus used on turntable cartridges.
    Congrats on the DQ-10 find !

9. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Hi

Still have original cloth and stands all as found still see some of the Sheetrock compound on the walnut ! A close friend and a watchmaker hooked me up with a SX-850 receiver ! Near mint condition is runing them . Also notice the black box upper right side is a DQ MX-1 passive crossover just waiting .

Good hunting

Bill

IMG_4267.JPG IMG_4268.JPG IMG_4269.JPG

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

These guys:

http://www.regnar.com/

I had the chance to get a pair of DQM-9's. My uncle left them behind and my father hadn't used them in years. They were sitting in an outside storage bin in the humidity.

Frankly, they were just too far gone to ship out for service. Kind of like a nice watch that had been buried in the sand at the beach. Woofers and tweeters were both toast. Was going to cost over $200 just to ship out for service. So they went to the great Hi-Fi store in the sky.

Right now I use a pair of early 1970's KLH 6's in a surround sound system with a Polk Audio subwoofer that works well for a small set-up. JBL center channel and a couple of old Realistic (don't laugh, Radio Shack made some good stuff back in the day) Minimus 7's on stands as rear speakers. Nothing special, but it gets used every day with the TV sound.

Apparently, there is one model of Dahlquist subwoofer still made, the DQ-89w. There's no price on the website, so I don't know if they still available.

If the Dahlquist is no longer an option, I kind of like the Klipsch Reference Series. However, I don't know how well they would work with the DQ-MX1 crossover.

I would give the people at Regnar a call and see what they think.

Nice speakers.
    gatorcpa

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

It will come to tears if you don't move the CD player and memorabilia off the receiver. That old beast gets hot.

Tbone likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 15, 2017

I believe any good sub will work if you have the cross over. A few years back I got sick of nursing my old gear along and re-equippped. After much research and audio room auditions, I went with Rotel ( av reciever + 2 channel zone 2 amp) and B&W CM10 + CM5 + CM1 Center. Kept my Cambridge soundworks sub and surround speakers. Also sprang for a Project X Pression 2 Turntable, speed box, Cambridge pre amp and cartridge upgrade. Unlike my watch habit, my wife was all in favor of this investment. Keeps me sane.

13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Hi

Will see about putting a space to help let heat escape... good point...

But I am running out of space for my Chelsea Clocks....

My audio habit is all done on the cheap... if done at all... sad to say...

I gave away most of my grear.... revox a77 reel to reel to my watchmaker ... i dont think he used it either... pair of time windows..

I also have a set of DQ-20 and a set of Polk RTA 12b ( i think ) kids blew out the tweeters multiple times.... just scored 4 s1000 polk tweeters for 100$ plus shipping... so they are back on at the office...

thanks

Bill

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Me too. I go for function.

If it sounds good, do it.
    gatorcpa

15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 15, 2017

Matching up a sub woofer is probably going to be a trial and error type of experience. Several good audio forums on the net look around and ask questions someone may know the answer.

Good Luck

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 15, 2017

Last month I boxed up my old school audiophile gear and put in my storage room. The amps are nakamichi. Turntable and cassette deck nakamichi dragon. The speakers are set of Klipsch horns and a set of Klipsch belles. Sound great but take up a lot of room Plus a lot of other gear.

Now I am running Yamaha 7.1 receiver with couple definitive technology speaker systems, DVD player. I have a 7.1 system. Speaking for me the home audio setup works great. Everything works off a couple remote controls and nothing to fiddle around with works for me. The sound system is integrated to my home video system and all is well

17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 15, 2017

Nak Dragon was my grail growing up, but b the time I could afford one cassette recording was dying out. I still have a much more budget-level Nak deck, but it hasn't work right in many years.

18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jan 15, 2017

One of the perks on the military bases overseas was high end stereo gear. The PX's and exchanges had a lot of good (great) deals on stereo gear.

Edited Jan 15, 2017
    Larry S likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 16, 2017

But ... home audio is not dead. Just evolving. Stereo Review to Sound and Vision.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2017

Not dead I agree, but it's very different these days. The dealer I have been using for decades used to have 5 rooms dedicated for proper auditioning of audio gear - now all but one are filled with home theatre stuff. There used to be more variety over the spectrum of prices with the audio equipment they carried, but now it's mostly home theatre and higher end audio, and not much for the more budget minded consumer.

When I was younger all my friends were into audio gear, and if we weren't saving to buy a car (or something for a car), it was for a new tape deck, speakers, amp, etc. I don't see many people in high school doing the same kind of thing these days.

The way people listen to music has changed a lot. When we go over to friends they often have a wireless Bluetooth speaker the size of a baseball playing from some playlist on Spotify from an iPad. Not the way I prefer to experience music, but at that level it's basically just background noise. I listen to music through the day in the shop as I work, but we also set aside a night each week to sit down and actively listen to music - not while reading, or eating dinner, but just sitting and listening.

Fortunately my wife enjoys music as much as I do, so getting her buy in on audio gear hasn't been difficult. Having said that, she still hasn't come around to getting the new Linn Kilmax DSM just yet...but I'm working on it...:)

Cheers, Al

warrydog likes this.