Forums Latest Members
  1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 20, 2017

2. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

Nothing goes unnoticed on eBay anymore it seems. Opaque photos, bad titles or descriptions, etc.... People know what they're looking at now (and people know what they're selling!)

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 20, 2017

Patently false. There are regular examples of vintage watches that sell for less than they would if better presented.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 20, 2017

Idk I picked up 2 on eBay as they where listed oddly. One was a bit of a risk the other required buyer verification. Both where poorly or oddly listed. One Rarish Seiko at 50% of list with horrible pictures. The Sinn 903 I got for about 30% under market as it was listed incorrectly by what appeared to be a new seller, but was in fact an established Japanese Dealer.

I agree nothing is unnoticed. But research and critical thinking can Net some bargains.

Edited Apr 20, 2017
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. Delroyb Apr 20, 2017

Bugger. I nearly got that watch in a local auction last week. But was saving my funds for a lot with a Heuer Super Autavia in it. Which I won. I wasn't sure about the Omega. Was in with another load of bits. The whole lot went for just over £200!

6. Delroyb Apr 20, 2017

Can someone enlighten me on what makes this one particularly special?

7. Delroyb Apr 20, 2017

8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 20, 2017

I know very little of these watches but I thought "chronometre" would have the accent over the "e" (chronomètre). Then again the letters are capitalized, so it may not be the case. Thoughts?

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 20, 2017

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 20, 2017

Google 2254 18 jewels revisited.

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 20, 2017

so, wrong movement? 16 jewels? kind regards. achim

hoipolloi likes this.
  12. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

Well, I admit I only search for a few now quite popular models on eBay, so in my experience (qualified in my statement with "it seems," which your condescending tone suggests you either missed or ignored) people are watching alerts as closely as I am. A no-description, one-fuzzy-photo Speedmaster or Carrera or Autavia will still usually bring a market price.

I also think it depends on your competition, not to downplay Seikos or Sinns but I feel like there may be fewer people constantly trawling their eBay alerts for these models? I could be totally wrong about this. Again, I'm more of an enthusiast of the big names, as it were

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 20, 2017

"Opaque photos, bad titles or descriptions, etc.... People know what they're looking at now (and people know what they're selling!)"

Your "it seems" qualification was completely obscured by the tone of your unqualified assertion above.

And yes, it is obviously the case that the most popular models are less likely to slip through. Luckily, though, there are many excellent, desirable, and valuable watches that do not fall in that category.

14. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

Not at all in dispute!

That assertion being part of the same statement, I would think it would be understood in the same context as my saying "it seems" immediately before, not as a separate statement of fact. Now that I know you're paying such close attention I'll be more careful to qualify each and every statement!

downtownbobbyb likes this.
  15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 20, 2017

I think that readers understand well your reluctance to admit that you were wrong. No need to dig any further.

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 20, 2017

or even when they don't there's about a dozen people contacting them and tipping them off....

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 20, 2017

Extremely good point considering how many bad Speedmasters are going for above market.And the horrible frankstien Rolexes out there, that for some reason pull money on eBay.

Knowledge is power on eBay though. Search for Submariner Kermits and you will go insane raging against with what is being offered. Obvious clones that have papers abound. Even minimal knowledge of that reference shows about 80% of the claimed all original are bogus.

I think we are both right it just depends. The Seiko I got was an 8117 which is fairly sought after and reasonable priced ones go fast. 3 where on eBay when I got mine and mine was by far the cheapest to sell even though it was the best on offer. The other 2 went full auction and doubled the price of mine. The horrible small pictures I think turned people away but they where good enough to show the case, dial and bezel where in fact good, compared to the hi res poorer examples that sold for a lot more.

8117bay.JPG
    That was the best photo offered on the watch, the others were blurry rear case shots and side shots. His shots also hid the 24 hour hand and I requested a picture of the watch set to a different time. 3 people called dibs on it at the SoCal G2G last year.

Sculler22 likes this.
  18. Bumper Apr 20, 2017

19. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

I.... may or may not be guilty of being one of those dozen :oops:

20. abrod520 Apr 20, 2017

About half the time I've done something like that, it backfires though - the seller posts the better photos and we're all off to the races! Nice work though, it's a cool watch for sure.