Forums Latest Members

Oh my... Longines knew how to make awesome split seconds watches, too?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 3, 2014

2. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2014

Longines know how to make everything back in the day. They were the brand to own into the 1970's.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 3, 2014

Longines were no slackers in the chronograph category.

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 3, 2014

Before the 70s, that is.

5. orchidmansion Apr 3, 2014

Judging by the quality of mechanical movement, design aesthetics of the watch case and dials, I'm biased to think that Longines' golden age was between the 1930's to 1940's?

A 13ZN

[​IMG]

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2014

You could say that about nearly every chronograph manufacturer except a handful like Zenith.

I'd extend that into the 60's, but I'm biased. I happen to think their manual caliber 30L and 23Z, along with their automatic 290 series, were some of the best movements of the late 50's and early 60's.

7. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Longines owned the beautifully, hand finished, in house chrono category for quite some time. It's really a shame that Swatch decided to dump the brand squarely in their middle market category. If any Swatch executives are reading, I'm happy to help with the spin off, so long as I get to restore them to their properly deserved greatness.

DaveK likes this.
  8. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

The best part about Longines, in my book, is that as their movements evolved, frequently the impetus for a redesign was cost savings. But even as the movements got easier and less costly to produce, they managed to look (aesthetically) nicer than the predecessor.

In my mind this holds true up until their introduction of the automatics.

9. orchidmansion Apr 3, 2014

You're right, thanks for the reminder on the 30L s' and the automatics. What perplexes me is the design of dials during this period of time. Apart from the Flagships, I'm not sure why the Longines dials of this period seem to be lackluster.

I know the mid 50's to the late 60's are a period of Modernist-minimalism designs, but many of the 30Ls don't have minute markers: that to me isn't a design aesthetic, it seems to be cost-cutting. Not many other good Swiss brands ever did that. But please correct me if I am wrong.

[​IMG]

10. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

You really think they're saving lots of money leaving out a few specs of metal?

I agree with your general point that some of the mid century dials can seem a little plain or boring... but then when you put an example like that on the page. That is elegance in minimalism.

Hamilton was up to similar designs around the same period, btw.

11. orchidmansion Apr 3, 2014

I think they saved on each a worker spend an additional x number of hours placing/painting minute markers on each dial, yes.

12. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Okay, well I'll grant you that.

Everyone likes to save a buck, but I think design was the real driver. You're probably not a fan of Nomos, I'm guessing?

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 3, 2014

Yes, you are wrong, and – ahem – "markedly" so. Here are three pages from a single 1962 catalogue that show at least nine 30L models with applied (or embossed) markers and varied dial styles!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. orchidmansion Apr 3, 2014

I LOVE Nomos! Ludwig is my favourite.
    Ok here are some examples of tastefully done minimalism, 60's style (except the nomos, I think thats 40's style). Please try to imagine the difference minute markers make to the entire aesthetic of the dial:

Nomos Ludwig (railroad dial minute markers):
    [​IMG]
    Omega Seamaster 30 (painted minute markers):
    [​IMG]

IWC Calibre 89 (riveted minute markers):
    [​IMG]

15. orchidmansion Apr 3, 2014

Glad to be wrong, it means the 30L with proper minute markers is now part of my want list! Thanks Tony.

16. woodwkr2 Apr 3, 2014

Glad we settled that one. Thanks, Tony;) Now we can all go back to hunting for our new favorites.

17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 3, 2014

My pleasure – and I share your relative dislike of non-applied markers on higher end watches.

18. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2014

Would you consider JLC to be a higher end watch? How about Patek, VC, AP, IWC…. there are quite a few brands that didn't use applied markers and instead used that engraved style like the 30L you used as your example. It was a design fad for a decade or so then.

IMG_6403.JPG IMG_1857-1.jpg

19. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2014

And BTW, this dial is the antonym of "lackluster":

[​IMG]

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 3, 2014

Who said that high-end companies never used engraved markers? I simply agreed with the original poster in that they are inferior to applied markers. Also, when you say that those companies "didn't use applied markers", that could be misconstrued. Of course they used applied markers, and almost invariably on their best and most important models.