Forums Latest Members

oh boy.. is filing serial numbers on 321 as illegal as it is on handguns?

1. teenagediplomat Sep 27, 2014

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 27, 2014

:eek::eek: :eek:

It's never going to enhance its value or saleability. I wonder if the seller can provide proof of title.

3. mac_omega Sep 27, 2014

maybe obscured with photoshop?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2014

look drilled out to me.

ron n and teenagediplomat like this.
  5. Pasbru Sep 27, 2014

What about the "all original " he quotes...wrong dial, wrong bezel, wrong crown...just saying!

FabCo and teenagediplomat like this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Sep 27, 2014

Most people arent honest when it comes to describing the watch with the utmost detail to lure customers. replacement parts are often considered "original to the watch *rolling eyes* Well on eBay mostly that is.

Pasbru likes this.
  7. Dogmann Sep 28, 2014

Hi all,

What would Omega do if this came in for service? i mean would they consider it a stolen watch and ask for proof of ownership before releasing back to to who ever sent it in? or would they just service it without question? personally I think that something dodgy like this on the movement serial number is enough to put me off any watch as just can't think of any good reason for this to have been done.

Marc

teenagediplomat likes this.
  8. Davidt Sep 28, 2014

That would start alarm bells ringing with me and I couldn't in all honestly imagine pursuing such a watch.

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Sep 28, 2014

they would say thanks but no thanks for business

10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 28, 2014

+1. At Rolex you'd be lucky if they return it I assume.

11. Dogmann Sep 28, 2014

Mark020

Yeah your right to assume that as in fact Rolex will confiscate a watch sent in with the serial numbers removed and I know this as a fact as my now departed father worked as both a watches manager and general store manger for Mappin and Webb. As a long time ago someone I was working for once gave me a solid gold Rolex Datejust to ask him to get it serviced and that was what he told me would of happened had he sent it in as it had the serial numbers filed off. People who buy second hand Rolex watches with the serial numbers removed are buying and handling stolen property as far as Rolex are concerned and would never be able to get Rolex to work on the watch. I'm not 100% sure but I think they may well also inform the Police and as you may know receiving and handling stolen property is actually a greater crime them the theft itself.

Marc

12. Pvt-Public Sep 28, 2014

All the above plus filed serial number, and from South America, yet still starts bidding at $3850? Really gets the old BS meter going.

13. François Boucher Sep 28, 2014

…looks like Buzz Aldrin's Speedie to me…

14. initialjh Sep 28, 2014

ummm... keep away.

15. diggin5 Sep 29, 2014

That would be interesting if it's the stolen Buzz Aldrin watch. Does anyone know what the serial number ranges were for the NASA purchases? Does anyone have a contact at the Smithsonian who can investigate this lead?

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 29, 2014

It is not Buzz's watch.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2014

Oas mega's policy with regards to missing or obscured serial numbers states that if the serial number is missing on the movement and case (this would not have had the case marked) that service must be refused and the watch is returned to the owner.

If the serial is missing from the case and not the movement they will service it and inscribe the case with the number (only if the case should have it).

I some instances for a watch still in production that has had both numbers removed, you would be offered a replacement watch head at a reduced cost. If you decline they would return the watch up repaired, and if you accept you would get a new watch head, and the old one would be destroyed.

Cheers, Al

18. Waynepjr Sep 29, 2014

Guys, look at the seller. Got to be an ex N*** watchmaker on staff as this is not the first I have seen from this seller. They are a waste of time looking at their offerings. Even if a noted Hodinkee did get extremely lucky. BUYER BEWARE!!

Wayne