Forums Latest Members

Offering to buy anyone a drink who can help identify this movement

1. PHPHD Feb 26, 2016

I'm hoping the collective knowledge of the forum can help me out on this one. And to anyone who can help identify this I'm down to buy you a drink (if you're in Boston or New York). I've been spending a few days looking through almost all of the reference books I have on chronograph movements and it's stumping me. So if you've got a few minutes to kill, take a stab at it.

Here's a picture of the movement:

edited.jpg

So, initially I thought it was a landeron, but after looking through almost a hundred different pictures, I have come to the conclusion that it's not. There are many parts which look different, which I'm sure you would be able to spot. The photo below is an example of the Landeron 15.5 lignes movement.

U8_zpsje0vmr0p.jpg

One big difference, amongst others, are the set of 3 springs near the top left of the movement. In mine, they are broken up by a screw in the middle, while the landeron has them together. Here is a reference of a Landeron:

50_1398888093.jpg

It's also not a Landeron 2 - picture below:

50_1398888118.jpg

The only other movement that's similar-looking to mine that I could find is this:

eberhard.jpg

This, however, is a crown-pusher instead of having the pusher at 2 o'clock. But otherwise it matches the movement above exactly.

Love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Edited Feb 26, 2016
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 26, 2016

What's the make and a dial picture. Might help with the puzzle.

Someone might have the same watch and know exactly what movement.

3. 250scr Feb 26, 2016

It's a watch movement. Sorry, I know I was of zero help to you. Wish I knew though. Good luck, I'm sure someone will know.

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 26, 2016

Edited Feb 26, 2016
    Skrotis and Modest_Proposal like this.
  5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Feb 27, 2016

The OP's movement as well the ones posted by MMMD look like modified versions of the 15.5 lignes Landeron movements. They may have fiddled with the placement and shape of the springs, jumpers, sliding gear, etc., but the important architectural aspects are too similar for them not to be imo. The Eberhard movement is indeed identical except for the operating lever obviously (resulting in the difference in monopusher placement) and the minute recording jumper looks like a poor replacement. A dial pic of the OP's watch may or may not be illuminating.

Are these movements rare? I was surprised to see that Dr. Ranftt's site has no record of them.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 27, 2016

Invenitetfecit.com agrees with you.
    [​IMG]

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 27, 2016

It shares some similarities with a movement I found in a couple early 1930s Heuers which I was eyeing (but didn't buy).
    Trolling the internet I had somehow thought it could be a very early Valjoux (although I could also be totally wrong).
    One of the chronographs I was looking at is still visible on Ebay (the inside case back has been doctored):
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/181860670054?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

This has a different bridge and a couple of other different parts compared to yours.
    But I remember finding a photo on the web relating to a pre WWII Valjoux movement called "Valjoux FG" IIRC, but alas can no longer find the source.
    Both looked like they could be "ancestors" to the earliest Valjoux 22 (posted on another specialized forum, but not sure policies allow linking to it).
    Best regards,
    S

Edited Feb 27, 2016
  8. Georgieboy58 Feb 27, 2016

The policies here allow to link to other sites, especially watch sites:)

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 27, 2016

Okay, well then the "early Valjoux 22" is here:
    http://www.onthedash.com/movements.shtml

But i have no idea where i might have read about a certain Valjoux FG movement.... I can find no trace of it.
    So maybe the source is quite obscure, or maybe my memory is failing me... (which is possible after absorbing so much watch-related info in a short span of time).

Edited Feb 27, 2016
  10. PHPHD Feb 27, 2016

Good morning! Thanks for all the comments, they're much appreciated. :)

I've seen the inventit et fecit pictures previously and here's the thing: it does looks very much like a modified landeron or Breitling (or montbrilliant), but this is the only (or of two or three) example I've seen of this particular modification. I've seen many single-pusher Eberhard Cal. 15 (which is the movement shown by MMMD above), but none in the same form as this one, except that crown-pusher eberhard (the picture of the case-back is below).

wat_back.jpg

Here's one (also a "crown-pusher") of another exactly-the-same-looking movement. (mine is reposted for ease of comparison). Notice the distinctive spring - screw - spring - spring configuration on the upper-left side of the movement.

wat.jpg
    edited.jpg

I'm currently waiting for the watch to be shipped from France - will keep the folks here updated.