Forums Latest Members
  1. Unwound Mar 12, 2014

Geez, I can't keep my small collection in good order all at the same time. I seem to run about 50-60% of my collection at any time that is in proper order, needing no work. Seems that as soon as one is serviced and off the list of repairs another falls victim to an accident or malfunction of some sort.

So how does it go for the rest of you? Are all your timepieces in good order or are they in a constant rotation to the watchmaker as well?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2014

I have 2 that need work right now - don't have time to do them though as I'm too busy doing other people's watches!

3. ulackfocus Mar 12, 2014

Of the usual 50-ish watches in my collection, 25 to 30 are vintage that are ready to wear. They've been serviced within the last few years and all the parts I want are already installed. 15 to 20 are vintage waiting to be serviced, some on hold for parts (aka project watches). The other 5-ish are modern watches that don't need servicing or new parts yet.

4. Noisy Nova Mar 12, 2014

I have two in the hospital right now.
    The others are fine.

5. Hijak Mar 12, 2014

Is one of those a Sinn?;)

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2014

Yes it is!

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 12, 2014

I have two being serviced. Two have had service in the last few years and are good for now. Two have unknown service histories and one came from service a week ago, all three run well (although the two unknowns would benefit from cleaning). One needs service but runs within a minute a day.

Thus I would say: constant rotation with the watchmaker.

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 12, 2014

Just got one back last week, and sent off another one.

Two in the queue, and the rest are good for another year or three.

Wait times are incredibly long at the watchmakers I would consider using.

On the plus side, by the time you get your watch back, it almost feels like a new addition... Almost.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Mar 12, 2014

Probably about half could benefit from a service. I tend to buy watches that need a little work.

10. SeanO Mar 12, 2014

of 100ish perhaps 15 are parts watches and another 15 need to be serviced/repaired otherwise everything is serviceable.

11. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2014

Only 2, one is waiting for a crystal, the other is getting evaluated, might need a service. All the other 100 plus vintages are running well.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 12, 2014

I service all mine as I get them, I'm not the type that puts them in a box and leaves them, all my watches get worn though some more sparingly than others. I have a good local watchmaker who's an older gentleman that spends 95% of his time changing batteries and straps, then sees me come in with an 18K gold Omega Cal 320, or a Seamaster Piepan or a 321 Speedmaster and its like his eyes light up because he's actually working on a watch that deserves fixing, he's incredibly talented when it comes to manufacturing parts that are out of production too which is excellent.

lando, rhetoric and citizenrich like this.
  13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 12, 2014

of about 20 pieces three need work.... grandad's 1905 Longines needs its cannon pinion adjusted, the recently serviced '44 Elgin stops every now and then.(and that ain't right) and a friend gave me an 1884 Rockford that's just dried up to the point where it doesn't run (the watch hasn't been run in about 80 years, damned old whale oil....) although it could use a nicer case as well.

14. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Mar 12, 2014

my moonwatch and railmaster were serviced last year. Actually there is one at a local warchmaker, another one gets revision and dial restauration.
    A fork and a quarz running well, most of the rest of my collection are still in warranty and working fine.

Is forgot that there one NOS on the road to its new home.

15. Mothra Mar 13, 2014

I had six away for service recently - now I'm down to four with Archer and I have another two that I want to verify the service history I was given....

16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 13, 2014

I have a few at the bank where if I tried to wind 'em, the crowns would probably snap off. I'm too lazy to ever go give 'em shake. I figure I'll let the kids sort it out one day a hundred years from now.

For the ones in my possession I'd take a wild guess 8 to 10 need some TLC.

I just purchased (5) watches this week - (2) UG's for my honey and (1) Longines, (1) Wittnauer and (1) Lucien Rochat for myself.

One of them is brand new and the other 4 are NOS and serviced (which is my favorite way to
    purchase used watches).

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 13, 2014

I have 8 out for service & it looks like at least 2 or 3 need major work.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 13, 2014

So unwound, most of us have similar problem with you.... always have something need fixing. I still have 2 watches in my watchmaker that I havent been able to source the part. Another or 3 need minor fixing ( change crown, polished the crystal etc) and probably 5 to 10 need TLC. I already missed my watchmaker....:)

19. TexasKevin Mar 13, 2014

Sadly, just 1 ready to wear, 1 in queue to go the doctor, 1 at the doctor, and 2 that are in pieces (projects). So yeah, only 20% (1) of my Omega's are wearable.

20. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 13, 2014

dsio wrote:
    "I service all mine as I get them, I'm not the type that puts them in a box and leaves them, all my watches get worn though some more sparingly than others. I have a good local watchmaker who's an older gentleman that spends 95% of his time changing batteries and straps, then sees me come in with an 18K gold Omega Cal 320, or a Seamaster Piepan or a 321 Speedmaster and its like his eyes light up because he's actually working on a watch that deserves fixing, he's incredibly talented when it comes to manufacturing parts that are out of production too which is excellent."

Funny - exactly what I was planning to write. And I mean exactly.

quito likes this.