Forums Latest Members
  1. dlg Oct 12, 2016

So I recently bought a 2254, and it broke my heart to see a pretty large speck of dust underneath the crystal. Turns out, it was not dust, but an actual scratch .

Had my watchmaker replace the crystal with the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z2YNB6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had I had known that I was going to be obsessing over this, I would have much rather gone for the Omega genuine crystal, but alas, I did not know.

When my watchmaker returned the watch, she had done an amazing job (clean and no dust underneath), but informed me that this crystal has synthetic sapphire, or a coating of sapphire, and that it wasn't real sapphire.

Now I'm concerned if it has the proper AR coating. If you look at the link, the description mentions it has both AR coating and sapphire, as good as original.

Now I find myself staring down at my watch and wondering if there shouldn't be more or less glare, because I don't remember how it used to look like before I replaced the crystal (underside AR coating). I'm also worried to bump the watch since she said its not real sapphire...

Any thoughts?

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 12, 2016

Buy an Omega crystal and hang on to it. Wait until you need it. Prices keep going up and when you need to change it, at least it will be at current price not future price. You will have peace of mind knowing you can make the change.

ahartfie likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 12, 2016

Look on Cousinsuk.com for pricing. They are the least expensive that I have found.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2016

I hope your watchmaker didn't write the review...

"I was initially skeptical because I have seen some horrible ar before. This one really is great. No purple or blue discoloration or tendency for scratches in the ar. Fit perfectly (I also used hypo GS cement). Saved over $100 from buying direct from omega."

Because this person glued it in. Of course this requires a plastic crystal gasket, that is a one use only item, so if they didn't glue it in, did they use a new crystal gasket?

I have no experience with these aftermarket crystals, so I can't comment on quality, but personally it's not something I would want in my watch...

Cheers, Al

5. Canuck Oct 12, 2016

Real sapphire? For a watch crystal? Who knew? Never heard of such a thing. Can you imagine what the expense would be if there was such a thing? Synthetic sapphire is as hard as the real thing, with a hardness of 9 on the MOHs scale.

dlg likes this.