Forums Latest Members

Odd Omega Checkered Flag Watch (1950's -60's?) Never Seen This Before !?!

1. Mark Griffiths Jun 26, 2012

Hi everyone. I am a new member. I decided to join because I really love Omegas. Actually I only have one, but I really like it :)
    I am having a tough time identifying this watch. I think it is really great, although I almost threw it out. See the photo of the movement before I cleaned it up :eek:
    This watch came with a lot of parts, tools and watches from a watchmaker's estate in British Columbia, Canada.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The movement looked rusted beyond hope. About a month ago I decided to take a crack at de-rusting it and I was successful (With a handful of new parts thrown in!) :D
    Here it is today, all cleaned up and really nice to wear. It has a vintage racing look to it that I like. Funny because at first I really didn't like it much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I haven't seen an Omega like this one. My guess on the age is the early 60's or late 50's. This is about right from the age of the watches in the lot, and the case back says "Waterproof". The movement is a very nice 552 calibre autowind and runs very well now. The case is a gold plated bezel with a stainless screw on back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would love to hear your thoughts, and if possible see photos of a similar watch if anyone has one.
    Cheers everybody, great site!!!

Mark

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 26, 2012

Mark Griffiths likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2012

That is actually a pretty cool dial, I'm impressed, and bloody good work getting it running from that state, it looked like it came off the deck of the Titanic before you sorted it out! Are you a watchmaker or just an enthusiastic amateur?

Mark Griffiths likes this.
  4. Mark Griffiths Jun 26, 2012

Thanks! I'm a very serious amateur, but this one was tough anyway. I love the dial, so thanks to kyle L for finding a similar looking watch, although that one is manual wind and mine is auto. Cool!

5. Steve Jun 27, 2012

Great looking watch. Welcome to the Forum. :thumbsup:

6. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2012

The serial number puts it at 1968. The watch should be an automatic - you can tell by the reference number 165.041 on the inside of the caseback. 1 = man's watch, 6 = self winding with center seconds, 5 = water resistant, so that checks out. According to the Omega Vintage Databas it did come with a caliber 552.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 27, 2012

Nice look watch and great job. :thumbsup: