Forums Latest Members
  1. ChrisN Dec 1, 2018

I've started up an area of the Jaguar Drivers' Club in UK and we have a quarterly raffle to raise money for the group and charity. Prizes are donated and so, I'm looking for a raffle prize.

A vintage watch seemed an idea and these are not watch people so some obscure '60s brand is not going to work for me but, Omega would (obviously). Now, as I'm paying, I set a limit of £200 and thought I could get something for that, service it, put it on a nice strap and it would be a really nice first prize. To make it unisex, I was thinking a watch with 30-34mm case. Of course, anything at that value is not going to be much :(.

I came across this on eBay... But, I think it is put together and would appreciate thoughts. Many thanks if you can help - it doesn't need to be 100% correct but must look nice. On the other hand, I don't want to buy something that is a complete franken monster as I'd be embarrassed to offer it.

Case back - it's Dennison and says 13322 and 2836.
    case back.jpg

Rear of case back is fine but it has fixed bars. I didn't expect that with this reference but they may have been added or could be correct - this is not my era really.
    rear.jpg
    Movement looks fairly nice - regulator slightly oddly placed:cautious:. No shock protection!
    movement.jpg
    They admit the hairspring is badly damaged but that's not an issue for me;).
    hairspring.jpg
    Omega crown and the mid case looks fair - bezel seems fine.
    3h.jpg
    Other side is similar. I think the mid case will clean up.
    9h.jpg
    And this is very odd - it's a non Incabloc so expect before about 1944. This appears to be a much later (calibre 26x) dial... But it looks original Omega dial to me which at least is good.
    front.jpg

So, what do you think? I'm sure it's a later dial but it might work for a normal person (read non-collector:D). They want £245 and I might go to £200. Service and hairspring fixing is free :) and it could be an Omega for someone who isn't concerned about the slight mixing and matching.

Or, have you seen anything better at this price? All ideas entertained. Many thanks for any help!

Cheers, Chris

Shay likes this.
  2. tdn-dk Dec 1, 2018

The back is okay, 13322 is often seen on Dennison Omega cases.

The middelcase looks odd, why not same metal colour as the back and the bezel?

The dial is a later service dial IMHO.

Her is my Dennison, note the last 3 numbers of the serial in the back is on the lug of the middelcase

IMG_1766.JPG 3.JPG IMG_1573.JPG 4.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

heavenscloud, ChrisN and Dan S like this.
  3. Dan S Dec 1, 2018

These were also the two things that jumped out at me, just from general observation, not specific knowledge of the reference. It does have the feel of a put-together piece.

Unfortunately, I've never managed to buy a decent Omega in that price range, but I do see slightly less well-known brands, like Eterna and Zenith, for that price. But I understand that part of the purpose is to have a famous brand name.

Since the club involves British automobiles, would you consider a Smiths watch?

Edited Dec 1, 2018
    ChrisN likes this.
  4. mac_omega Dec 1, 2018

Both, Eterna and Zenith are well known brands and among the best movements that can be found. I would go for one of these.
    just my 2 cents

CaptainWinsor, ChrisN and Nathan1967 like this.
  5. Nathan1967 Dec 1, 2018

Can I add Tissot and Certina to that list too? All of these suggestions give a bigger bang for you err... £!

ChrisN likes this.
  6. ChrisN Dec 1, 2018

Thanks guys. I had to dash out unexpectedly and am struggling for signal. I would certainly entertain Smiths and agree this looks put together or service parts, thanks.

I'll think about the other ideas but a top OFer has sent me a PM with a possible watch.:thumbsup:

Pictures are taking an age to load so, will look later as am in the pub... Looking at a UG for someone at the moment, loupe out and pint on the table - don't worry, I'm not opening the case;)

Many thanks for taking the time.

Cheers, Chris

Dan S and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. Shay Dec 1, 2018

Great idea Chris

ChrisN likes this.
  8. ChrisN Dec 1, 2018

I got a call to look at an uncommon UG just after posting this so, sorry if it just looks like I can't be bothered to make my own research.:rolleyes:. Of course, we had to meet in a pub (!) so I've spent some time with two UGs on the table, my Banana SM200, a couple of loupes and (of course) a couple of pints:D. A very interesting afternoon.

I had completely forgotten about the serial being on the case, thanks! I was wondering about the difference in the mid case finish but, this one had it so I wasn't too concerned. Agree, it is odd though. Now, that sold one had fixed bars but it's a 1013 and I couldn't confirm that the 2836 does. The dial is certainly not from 1940ish and I thought it was a '50s one but, it may very well be a service dial and that is a good call - it would just be a 26x dial, I suspect, but likely fitted as a service dial.

Oh, beautiful watch:D.

Yes, could be put together indeed and I was not sure myself - still unsure. I have to admit for the market that I'm "selling" to, looks will be more important than total authenticity, I think. I was looking for something with movement issues as that just costs me time but, I'd agree that a fully working Omega in this range is very hard to get. Good call on the Smiths option and I have a couple of these. We're used to seeing "Smiths" in the older Jaguars as well:D.

Usually, I'd agree and if it was for a more watch oriented community, I'd plump for any of these. To be honest though, I would be pretty certain that in general, the Jaguar guys would only have heard of Tissot (possibly) from this group.

Many thanks again for all the comments.

Regards, Chris

Dan S likes this.