Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. AimForTheStars Oct 18, 2020

it’s ironic if you’re referring to the Apollo 11 50th Moonwatch because that’s next on my list...I think it’s absolutely stunning. I’m just not prepared to pay more than a grand over RRP.. Just purchased the Bond NTTD mesh so will enjoy that for now, then the Snoopy before hunting down the Apollo 11.

2. Evitzee Oct 18, 2020

Whether it's cute, charming or something else I don't think anyone should get too fussed over how many seconds Snoopy is doing this or doing that, when he appears or disappears, or it's relationship to earth, etc. It's just a fun complication, don't overthink it. For instance, the only view of earth that a human would see that particular rotation of the planet is looking straight down on the north pole, and the actual rotational speed would be 1/1,440 of that shown on the back (60 minutes x 24 hours). That view has no importance to space travel, the disc is there only to show a moving earth in the sky, albeit at a greatly increased speed.

lando and Pun like this.
  3. EricCsN Oct 18, 2020

Adds to the history for those who value it (the critical 14 seconds)

BlackTalon likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 19, 2020

Ummm...well Snoopy would be going the other way to earth wouldn’t he, for people to really value the critical 14 seconds. ;)

Mtnmansa and softwareurchin like this.
  5. EricCsN Oct 19, 2020

I still want the watch!!!

6. Hoddspur Oct 19, 2020

I suppose it could be likened to shining an ultra-violet light at a fictional Japanese cartoon character in a dark cupboard as I do sometimes...:D

Mtnmansa likes this.
  7. omegabruh Oct 19, 2020

Anyone have any ideas on when they will start delivering these watches? Would love to take this on my vacay end of Nov

8. taz101 Oct 19, 2020

End of November apparently

omegabruh likes this.
  9. scapa Oct 19, 2020

Omega is now saying December-January for the first lot, according to my AD; with "inside of 6 months" as the probability. My guess is that OBs see them first, with the ADs after until the first production is sold through, and then we do it all over again in 2022.

10. Pun Oct 19, 2020

Yes by Nov 2021 you should have it!

hb8745 likes this.
  11. hb8745 Oct 19, 2020

I think it does matter for some people at this price point. If you are buying this as a peanuts fan, then sure it probably won't matter to you. However, if you're buying this as a space/NASA/Apollo 13 fan, then it might start to get annoying after a while. They are marketing this watch entirely around the flight path of the spacecraft's safe return, so I would expect that there's some accuracy there... (the flight path on the strap, snoopy award, caseback, etc). Wasn't the whole campaign centered around the accuracy of time, and the importance that had on the successful flightpath? At $10k USD, its not exactly a cheap watch and when you decide to price it there along with the NASA positioning, you lose the option of just ignoring specifics and creating only a "fun complication." with historical accuracy only as an afterthought.

I'm by no means a space enthusiast, nor do I work in the industry. In fact, I initially didn't care much about the significance but the more I thought about it the more I became interested. It's not a make or break for me, but I think a more accurate representation would help those who think the back is gimmicky.

Regarding the movement of the earth, I don't expect to be realistic because this watch isn't marketed or focused around the rotation of the earth. The rotation of the earth was not the critical variable here in terms of mission success. As you also pointed out, the reason to speed it up is understandable in order to showcase a noticeable movement. 14 seconds is much easier to represent in visual real time movement vs ~86k sec (24hours), that there is no reason to not make an accurate representation here.

12. Bp1000 Oct 19, 2020

The release with originally end of October early November. Not entirely sure if that was official, surprised to see the feedback stating December now.

Didn’t expect a push back in fact I’d have thought OBs would have the first pieces on of immediately after release day considering the lack of press this year

13. savio.79 Oct 19, 2020

Excuse me but... are you serious? It’s not an astronomical demonstration, it’s just a watch remembering how Snoopy once saved the day, so they display it in a Snoopy way.

14. Duckie Oct 19, 2020

So much ado over a delightfully famous comic character and their significance of their representation in this instance(award) and the only 14(but most critical) seconds out of a flight path that spanned days.

I think people need to lighten up a lot more and not be so pernickety;)

15. Duckie Oct 19, 2020

That's the thing.
    Snoopy didn't save the day.
    Nor did Snoopy provide any hope or inspiration during the entire period of the crisis.

It was an award given to the Speedy for it's most critical roll at a particularly crucial but brief period in time, in getting what was left of the Apollo 13 mission home.

It's just a bit of light-hearted fun:)

16. Martin_J_N Oct 19, 2020

The more I see of this watch the less I like it. Maybe it's time to pull the deposit and find another watch to love.

calcheng, wolfe44, STANDY and 4 others like this.
  17. scapa Oct 19, 2020

What's changing your mind?

I like it a lot, and have put down a deposit, but will wait to see it in the metal before plunking down the rest of the asking. Don't think I can determine one way or another w/o actually trying it on, especially the bezel and subdial colours, overall wearability ease of winding, given how persnickety I found the Pro I owned vs the FOIS I have now. Plenty of gorgeous watches in this price range if it doesn't work out.

18. EricCsN Oct 19, 2020

I love it, I love it not, l love it, l love it not, I love it, I love it not, repeat for the next 12 months

19. taz101 Oct 19, 2020

[​IMG]

Martin_J_N and EricCsN like this.
  20. FBCello Oct 19, 2020

This one in the UK at the end of October 2020

SimoneM. likes this.