Forums Latest Members
  1. Katana Jan 27, 2020

Not sure if this should have gone in the modern or vintage Omega section, but considering the topic could apply to both I thought I’d put it here.

I’ve read forum members say that when they send a watch in for servicing, both modern and vintage, it comes back like “new”. I’m not exactly sure what that means.

As far as the case refinishing/polishing for modern watches is concerned, what’s to be expected? Do they literally go over every surface of the case like they do when the watch was first produced, so it comes out like it did when you see it brand new in the OBs? Or is it more of a light refinishing where deeper scratches or blemishes are left alone (so it looks “newer” and cleaned up, but not like the ones in the OB)?

I’m assuming the process for refinishing a vintage watch is different as they don’t want to completely diminish its character? But I don’t know.

Also, I noticed the cost for servicing a precious verses a non-precious metal watch is different. So what’s the Globemaster in steel considered considering it has a tungsten bezel?

Edited Jan 27, 2020
  2. gbesq Jan 27, 2020

Omega will attempt to refinish the case to achieve the best possible cosmetic result without significantly impacting the contours of the case and bracelet. In other words, they will refinish the metal surfaces and attempt to remove minor blemishes and scratches, but they will not overpolish the watch. Major scratches, dings, etc. may remain but will be much less noticeable post-service. Omega generally does a pretty good job with this as part of a full service. I expect that Omega would not charge a premium for the Globemaster’s tungsten bezel as it’s pretty much bulletproof on its own and the case and bracelet are stainless steel.

Katana likes this.
  3. Katana Jan 27, 2020

Thanks for the input. Makes sense.

4. ericjasman Jan 31, 2020

What on avg does it cost for a service?

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 31, 2020

How long is a piece of string?

Modern or vintage or rare/unique?
    Quartz or simple mechanical or co-axial?
    Basic time only or chronograph?

You can find out local costs by referring to your Omega site.

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 3.30.50 PM.png

6. ericjasman Jan 31, 2020

Fair question haha. I guess I should have been a little more specific! That picture gives me an avg price thank you.