Forums Latest Members
  1. Annapolis Oct 16, 2020

I suspect the answer to this is an obvious “no,” but I’m inclined to ask.

Has anyone ever tried (successfully or not) to get a Boutique/authorized Omega dealer to match a new-watch price at a gray?

In particular I’m thinking about a place like Joma that seems to be able to source new watches at substantially lower prices than MSRP. For example:

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-324-32-38-50-02-001.html

Brand new Speedy $1200 less than list. 6-10 week lead time, which tells me they’re going to get the order and then go fish from a supplier abroad—? I believe that’s how some grays operate; know it’s been discussed at length before on the forum.

I’d much rather support a boutique and build up that relationship, but unlike with Rolex (where gray prices are super inflated compared to ADs), with Omega I feel like I’d be a fool to pay anything close to retail for a new piece.

Is this a laughable idea?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 16, 2020

Yes.

OBs are Omega shops (except maybe one or two). Why would Omega match a gray dealer? You will have much better luck getting a discount from an AD, but it still won't be grey market level. The AD has a brick-and-mortar store to support, etc. The grays seem to be internet-only, so a lot less overhead costs.

3. Alfista88 Oct 16, 2020

Perfectly doable. Some prominent greys raised prices so much in the past 12-18 months on their BNIB pieces, that I wouldn't be surprised you can find better prices from an AD.

Firstly, we need to differentiate expectations/offerings between an Omega Boutiques versus Authorized Dealers. At stand-alone OB's (including Swatch-owned Tourbillon locations), you won't receive as high of a MSRP discount. On more in-demand models, they may offer 0% discount. However, you can parlay that into getting additional value via accessories. For example:
    - Getting a complimentary alligator strap + deployant clasp included. This is a $500+ value, when considering the cost of Omega-branded OEM accessories these days. Also ask for a red travel case.
    - Including a free service on another Omega watch you have in your collection. Roughly $550 value for basic watches without complications, and $700+ value for chronographs

While some AD's might offer to throw in accessories similar to what your OB will offer, they generally have much more freedom to directly offer you a % chunk off MSRP. Feel free to send PM me, and I can send you a suggestion.

Here are the % discounts I've gotten from Omega authorized dealers over the years:
    Seamaster 2254 -> 30% off in 2006
    Seamaster 2220 -> 32% off in 2011
    Speedy hesalite (big box) -> 30% off in 2017

At the same time, I've gotten 0% discount on 2 watches purchased from Omega Boutiques. 1 was a LE, and another was a standard production model but the very first piece that OB had received (before it was on sale in any AD's). I got some accessories thrown in from the OBs, but in hindsight, I should've waited until the models were more widely available from AD's or greys.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 16, 2020

I have not seen anything on the order of magnitude of an alligator strap plus deployant at an OB -- what watch did you have to buy to get that?

At the OB near me, they do a ton of business and don't give out anything other than a complimentary glass or two of cheap champagne. I've purchased both #STs and some other stuff from them.

Annapolis and dennisthemenace like this.
  5. 3rdstringholder Oct 16, 2020

Got a tax break on a LE at an OB. Was told that there were zero discounts on watches that were less than $5000. I understand that the purchase experience at an OB is supposed to be special (champagne/gifts), but the point of sale in my case was like buying a watch in Macy's minus the small negotiation I was able to pull off.

Annapolis likes this.
  6. Alfista88 Oct 16, 2020

This was at the Beverly Center OB around February of 2016. In addition to the gator strap and deployant buckle, I also got an additional tang buckle strap, when I paid full-price on a standard SS blue dial Globemaster on bracelet.

I lived a couple blocks away and would stop by once a month to chat about watches, and also ogle in awe at the 2013 Sedna pie-pan LE Connie sitting in their case, vowing to buy that someday once I could afford it... so maybe that influenced their generosity. All in all, it was still a terrible value for me in hindsight, considering AD's had SS blue-dial Globemasters priced at around 30% off MSRP just one year later, and some greys up to 35%.

Congrats on 2 ST's!

Annapolis likes this.
  7. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 16, 2020

The OB covered the sales tax on my DSOTM, which was just over $1000. And before anyone asks...yes, it really was an OB, not an AD...I do know the difference

Annapolis likes this.
  8. pbz Oct 16, 2020

I purchased my sapphire sandwich moonwatch from an OB and got the 8% discount to cover sales tax along with 2 free NATO straps and a nice Apollo 17 travel case (not the red one they usually hand out). I went the route of the OB to establish a relationship with them in the hopes that I'll be given the opportunity for special releases, etc. down the line. The experience was a pleasure and while I realize I could have paid less elsewhere, overall I was satisfied.

Annapolis likes this.
  9. Fusion Oct 16, 2020

You should know that Jomashop sells watches without the Omega warranty retained. They sell their own "in-house warranty" which I will let you research yourself and make your own decision about. You do NOT get an Omega warranty. My buddy did purchase a Tag from Joma and had a good experience granted he did not need to use the warranty.

That being said, last week I purchased a new Aqua Terra from an Omega authorized dealer for 30% off (and no tax). I tried it on at a boutique and didn't even bother to ask about pricing but figured it wasn't even worth having the discussion as there is no way they could be competitive to this kind of discount.

I would encourage you to try and get a better deal with a brick and mortar AD, the boutiques are more stingy. I get it, the boutiques are beautiful, have great customer service, the swatch group is trying to get their watches to retain value, it's good for the company overall to keep the prices close to MSRP and to not discount. But money saved is always nice and with some low effort shopping around you can save thousands.

So to answer your question, it is virtually a certainty that the boutiques cannot match the grays. The grays have pros and cons, if you wish to retain warranty try to call some non-boutique AD's or buy from a gray market dealer that buys from Omega AD's and thus retains the warranty.
    A537728D-0FA9-426D-A26D-F818AC12D814.jpeg

10. richiv Oct 17, 2020

Your username implies you're from Maryland. I have had good experience with Little Treasury in Crofton and they are an Omega AD. I am not affiliated with them. I have purchased from them and they have discounted after asking for it. I've never asked them to match a GM price though.

Annapolis likes this.
  11. Annapolis Oct 17, 2020

This has been helpful—in some very specific ways. thanks, all.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 17, 2020

Is there an OB out near Annapolis, or do you have to trek in to the Beltway? Tysons is the OB I have used (no freebies ever, and I have given them about $20k).

13. Annapolis Oct 17, 2020

There’s one in Annapolis, Liljenquist and Beckstead. I’ve bought a Tag there (and they offered an unprompted 10% discount on that) and had a vintage Omega serviced with them too (by their own watchmaker), but never bought an Omega from them.

The warranty thing does matter to me—it what makes me hesitate with a place like Jomashop. But, then, $1200 savings might matter more...

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 17, 2020

They are an AD, not an OB, right? Is there an OB out your way?

As far as Jomashop goes, you are much better off (in my opinion) buying from someone like @Kringkily, @demollo , etc. -- as you can get brand new with a real Omega warranty at prices near the Jomashop prices.

Evitzee and demollo like this.
  15. rafabond Oct 17, 2020

I bought some Omega, good models, from a dealer who left the dealership, I was able to get astronomical discounts.
    one of them was this

11C4D999-738A-4FAB-A156-40F99B73A480.jpeg AD0E3C7C-6D7F-4685-952E-891D4DA78285.jpeg

Omegafanman and Pboned like this.
  16. Evitzee Oct 17, 2020

I bought a standard Speedmaster in 2017 from the Geneva boutique, they took 5% off the net export price and threw in an Omega leather strap and deployant buckle. Even though the exchange rate wasn't all that great at the time I saved about 26% off the equivalent US price (watch and strap/buckle).

17. nismo Oct 17, 2020

Interesting how OBs do things differently. I will be getting a Snoopy 3 from my local OB...first purchase through them. What should I expect if anything at pickup since it's over $10k USD? Champagne? A nice book about Omega or something? They have been nice to me in the past when I tried to buy a bracelet for my FOIS (ended up not fitting). I asked if I could buy a toolkit so I could change aftermarket straps myself and they gave me one complimentary so they were nice enough to do that without any purchase.

18. Annapolis Oct 17, 2020

you’re right, they’re an AD.

19. Omegafan12 Oct 18, 2020

Can anyone recommend either a grey site that can source an omega or an AD that can offer a good discount? Specifically for the non “hot” omega models like the constellation line (looking at new 41 and 29 for the wife) . Would appreciate it, feel free to message me. Thanks!

20. LemansBoiler Oct 18, 2020

Call around to multiple ADs to understand what they can offer. I’ve had really good luck doing this, bought both a Rolex Exp2 and a Tag Heuer Monaco from the same AD with heavy discounts. I explained that I wanted to buy from them as they are local but was able to present what other offers I had in hand, I even referenced grey market pricing and acknowledged they wouldnt be able to come down that low but had it as an option. Be forward with them and let them sell you on a deal. I personally really like buying local so the grey market pricing wasn’t enough to sway me but I could get within a couple hundred dollars of it, which works for me.

Another thing to consider is servicing down the road. When I was shopping the Rolex, several shops offered the first on them. One of them even offered to service my Speedy Pro.

Deals are out there, make them earn your business. Do be ready to buy when it comes to negotiating with your preferred source.

Alfista88 likes this.