Forums Latest Members
  1. _Agemo Sep 25, 2017

Hello all,
    I have been following their progress and thought that the Stanford was particularly a beautiful looking watch. Their newest addition - the Jackson, has just been released:
    http://www.oakandoscar.com/jackson#jackson-pvd

I am not liking it as much. The orange colour blocks on the sub dial seem a tad bit much. Although the movement is strong and the dial looks clean. If I had to, Id pick the PVD one.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 25, 2017

They are designers who commission the manufacture. They have done a good job of stroking the watch press and their marketing spin is just perfect because they sell out every run. They are not terribly expensive, and are well made so If you like, buy. Personally I think its a good thing to encourage legitimate independents, like RGM etc. vs kick starter fly by nights. These guys fall into a grey area in between. But as a Chicago guy I gotta support local enterprise!

shishy, _Agemo and Jwit like this.
  3. rcs914 Sep 25, 2017

I have liked their designs, but felt that their cost was significantly higher than what was justifiable for a startup company. Evidently not everyone has felt this way, due to the aforementioned selling out all runs.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. sgrossma Sep 25, 2017

Have not heard about them until this morning's Hodinkee story. I hate the name, personally.

ConElPueblo and patrick1616 like this.
  5. Jking something intelligent and witty... Sep 25, 2017

Solid no for me....at $2650 + tax it's pushing $2900 all in. You can get a black bay red/blue BNIB with warranty from sellers online for cheaper than that. Or a 3570.50 in that range if you want a chrono. Two much better watches from more established brands...no brainer where id spend my money.

sdre likes this.
  6. _Agemo Sep 26, 2017

Yes, this chrono is not where Id put that kind of money.
    They are an upcoming independent with a good design and movement, I appreciate that. Also I am pretty smitten by their previous iteration - the Stanford.

7. dncka Oct 1, 2017

I've followed Chase (Oak and Oscar) since his first watch release, The Burnham. I met Chase at SalonQP 2015 and he's a stand up guy. Watches are solid, but with them being independent and done in small batches comes the higher price tag. Looking forward to handling the Jackson, but for my skinny wrist I think the proportions aren't going to suit.

Larry S and _Agemo like this.
  8. _Agemo Oct 2, 2017

Totally agree. For an independent firm they churn out great designs. This chrono is large for my skinny wrists as well

9. Ninja2789 Oct 2, 2017

I had a chance to see the new chrono in the flesh. I'm a pretty big fan of exotic dials and the chrono was better than any picture could've shown. However, the thickness was too much for me personally.

_Agemo likes this.
  10. Jking something intelligent and witty... Oct 2, 2017

That's nice but frankly what would you do if he goes belly up in 2-3 years? I've seen several businesses go down over the years that everyone in town thought was doing very well up until the doors were locked. I can see taking the risk with a Dan Henry or even a halios but not at that price point...but maybe I'm just overly cautious.

dncka and sdre like this.
  11. _Agemo Oct 3, 2017

I hope I get to see it in flesh sometime. Im almost considering picking up a Stanford if one shows up...
    As for them going down under, I personally would not be worried too much. Other than, perhaps the dial, everything else can be managed via third party.

12. stockae92 May 20, 2019

I recently pick up a Jackson flyback.

[​IMG]

I thought about these micro-brand comes and goes. My guess is that as long as the case / case back / movement holder / pushers / maybe the dial & rehaut too are not damaged, all the other parts can be sourced by watch maker at time of service. For micro brands, I supposed they won't keep parts for 10yr if they are in business for that long.

Still I am not too worry about it and I would just enjoy wearing the watch.

For the price of the Jackson fly, I have a hand wind column wheel chronograph, with 60hr PR, jump chrono min second, display back, flyback function, 12hr total chronograph. Its a difficult to find function combination even for watches from the big brands.

13. 77deluxe May 20, 2019

I’m starting to like these. Great looking chrono.