Ω Motorsport timing set

Posts
3,962
Likes
8,969
Incoming.

Surviving 1960s/70s Ω Motorsport timing set comprising of six mechanical Omega stopwatches housed in their red Omega protective holders, complete with lanyards and fitted six-piece wooden storage box.

Each stopwatch is individually engraved “LEVIN M.R.C.” with an inventory number, identifying them as equipment of the Levin Motor Racing Club in New Zealand. Levin operated the famous Levin Motor Racing Circuit, opened in 1956 as New Zealand’s first permanent purpose-built motor racing circuit. The circuit became an important international venue, hosting major meetings involving drivers including Bruce McLaren, Jim Clark, Graham Hill and Stirling Moss, and later formed part of the Tasman Series calendar.

The fitted wooden box is additionally marked “HVMC”, believed to relate to a Hutt Valley motorsport organisation. There is also surviving period shipping/address material referencing Hutt/Levin, suggesting the timing equipment subsequently passed between New Zealand motorsport organisations.

Further research into this connection is ongoing. If anyone can add info, especially with dating, please chime in.

The fact that all six Omega timers remain together, individually numbered and accompanied by their original protective holders, lanyards and purpose-made storage box makes this particularly interesting. Rather than individual vintage stopwatches, this appears to be a largely intact period race-control/timekeeping kit with direct Levin Motor Racing Club provenance, dating approximately to the 1960s, early 1970s.


 
Posts
3,462
Likes
35,311
Wow! Congratulations! Looking forward to more photos.
 
Posts
2,635
Likes
2,810
Thats super neat! I keep trying to convince myself one of the 'normal' stopwatches in holders is worth it😁 I DO find it kinda funny that the stopwatch holders always support a 2 pusher, but I never see a 2 pusher in them, always single pusher (though swapping which side the pusher is on sometimes?!).
 
Posts
3,962
Likes
8,969
Someone just posted one similar stopwatch here, but with 2 pushers and crown.
Provenance with this set is great. Have you opened one yet?

Nope, still a few days away as they make their way over the Nullarbor Plain.
 
Posts
3,962
Likes
8,969
Thats super neat! I keep trying to convince myself one of the 'normal' stopwatches in holders is worth it😁 I DO find it kinda funny that the stopwatch holders always support a 2 pusher, but I never see a 2 pusher in them, always single pusher (though swapping which side the pusher is on sometimes?!).
I had thought the split seconds had two pushers, but obviously not when seeing the one that just sold. There are some with the pushers on the left and others on the right.