Forums Latest Members

NYT discussing luxury watch collecting hobby

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 10, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/fashion/for-luxury-watch-buyers-one-just-isnt-enough.html?_r=0

Interesting there is a special Bar dedicated to this crowd. I could imagine on how to improve it: better safety, special locker, better lighting, corner for taking pictures with lighting box and variety props, corner for timegraphing. Special night for auction or just FS event among members. Sponsored event from watch producer introducing their new product line....and many more.

What do you think?

DanOmega, pitpro and msp1518 like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 10, 2014

Makes sense...I have never heard of a watch GTG that did not involve a cocktail or two. :D

My impression was that this club gathering started in a particular bar, but the location is not fixed.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 10, 2014

There are Sport Bar, Golf Bar, Karaoke Bar, Cigar Bar, Auto Bar.........why not Watch aficionado Club?

tpatta and Darlinboy like this.
  4. JohnSteed Oct 10, 2014

good FYI article, I guess. Thx for sharing

nice to see these articles popping up

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2014

I have been to many watch collector GTG's (we used to have several a year in the Toronto area), and the biggest issue aside from security, is lighting. Most places have lighting made for dining and "ambience" and not for looking at or taking photos of watches.

A place that is well equipped for these GTG's would be a great idea.

Cheers, Al

Privateday7 likes this.
  6. persco Oct 11, 2014

This is Red Bar, and it's exactly what you describe: a moveable gathering of collectors that meet once a month, or so. We have them in Toronto too. Red Bar Toronto. And they're now starting up in other cities. A lot of fun. I went to my first one last month. The organizers reached out to me through Instagram.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2014

Can't recall where but I had heard the Red Bar GTG's were happening in the GTA. Once I am recovered I would love to get more information on these. It's been a few years since I have been to a GTG.

Cheers, Al

persco likes this.
  8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

Interesting article, no doubt.

9. persco Oct 12, 2014

I'll send you a note, Al.