Forums Latest Members
  1. Paedipod Jan 18, 2018

making plans for a fall cruise from NYC this year, and looking for some advice on a good spot to stay near Times Square for a couple of days pre-embarkation. And I guess if anyone has advice about a must-see show.
    TIA

2. abrod520 Jan 18, 2018

Frankly, I'd find a place to stay downtown or on the Upper West Side instead, since Times Square is basically just the same stuff you have in your home area writ large with a couple more lights and baubles. Getting to the pier won't be difficult since it's just off the West Side Highway.

If for reasons other than preference you have to stay near the theater district and the pier, I'd suggest looking for a hotel in Hell's Kitchen. There are a number of hotels in the area, from large budget options to smaller chain "boutique" hotels (like Hotel Indigo) to nice, upscale hotels.

Look around west of 8th ave between 50th - 59th sts

Foo2rama, Paedipod and propervinyl like this.
  3. #nb Jan 18, 2018

I would avoid staying at Times Sq. but if that's your decisions there's a W and Marriott there. Also little bit further east on 6th Avenue there's Hilton and One Hotel.

4. dan7800 Jan 18, 2018

Stay someplace along a subway line. I lived in Riverdale Bronx for about 3 years (half time). That was a nice area and you can get to Manhattan on the 1 line pretty easily/quickly.

If you have a car, City Island is a very very cool/different part of NYC.

5. zrleopold Jan 18, 2018

As someone who currently lives in NYC I detest Time Square. I would stay downtown where there is more to do and less tourists. Although I am significantly younger than the average OF member so take my advice with a grain of salt :)

dan7800 likes this.
  6. #nb Jan 18, 2018

+1

But i can see why someone visiting the City would prefer staying in Midtown.

zrleopold likes this.
  7. zrleopold Jan 18, 2018

For sure! Especially for the watch enthusiast. Just walk down Madison/Fifth from 70th ish to 50th and you can pass boutique after boutique. There is even FP Journe and Lange up there!

Also as far as a show goes I recommend Come from Away, Hamilton, or Dear Evan Hansen!

8. dan7800 Jan 18, 2018

Getting into Hamilton will probably cost you a 321

9. zrleopold Jan 18, 2018

This is true

10. Paedipod Jan 18, 2018

Thanks for advice so far.....very helpful. Depending on work we will probably only have two nights and one full day to do "stuff" so one show and a walk up 5th would be plenty. The Times Square thing is just my reference point to where we stayed last time, so no need to actually stay there. We were there the year Book of Mormon opened and that elevated the whole trip.

11. sjg22 Jan 18, 2018

Don’t stay in Times Square - it’s the least authentically New York place in New York.

If you want to stay somewhere central, I’d suggest the area east of Grand Central around 42nd St. Lots of hotels of varying quality there, easy access to multiple subway lines and walking distance to Central Park and many other places of interest. I’ve found Priceline is a great option, especially the “name your own price” - I’ve stayed at the W in the upper east side multiple times via Priceline.

There are innumerable things to do in Manhattan so I’ll limit myself to one suggestion: walk on the High Line, an elevated rail line Re-purposed into green space which goes from essentially the Standard Hotel in the meatpacking district to Chelsea.

12. mikechi22 Jan 18, 2018

I went to grad school in NYC for 9 long years. Upper West Side, Upper East and Williamsburg in Brooklyn were all home at one time or another. Then I brought my parents out for graduation and I too looked down on Times Square. Stayed at a W on the East Side, more or less. I later regretted we didn’t stay just off Times Square as we were in and out of there a dozen times. I think it’s a good central location for visitors, but not right in the middle of it!

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 18, 2018

The New Yorker is great. Near TS about 6 blocks south. which is not a plus but central to all subway lines. Which means easy to get anywhere.

Pro tip -taxi from the airport it’s a fixed rate to Manhattan.