Forums Latest Members
  1. snunez Jul 1, 2018

G'Day all,

I ran across an old (by my guess, probably 1950's or earlier) watch, that has an unusual sub-seconds. I have spent most of the day trying to find another example of such a numbered sub-seconds, and found none. In addition, the sub-second hand seem different than others I have seen, being more dauphine in shape than the thin second hand I normally see on sub-seconds.

front.jpg

Also, the back is a bit unusual:
    back.jpg

I can barely tell a bad redial on a 1960's model, and the earlier models are still a mystery. There is something here that does not 'feel' right. What do the wiser members here think?

2. keepitsimple Jul 1, 2018

De-Ville 125.0050 - manual wind 651 movement (based on Peseux 7001). Second hand is correct. 1990's era.

Here's a bad picture of mine taken for insurance/inventory. Much better in real life. Makes a nice slim dress watch for formal occasions. My "black tie" watch (even though you shouldn't wear one ;o))
    [​IMG]

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. snunez Jul 13, 2018

Thanks (apologies for the delay). I went and bought it. Interesting movement. Seems to be the base for a number of derivatives, including Nomos, Monte Blanc as well as Omega.

4. keepitsimple Jul 13, 2018

Quite widely used I think as there don't seem to be that many affordable Swiss movements with the same characteristics - manual wind, very slim with sub seconds. Although as it's a small movement, it can't (or at least shouldn't) be used in bigger watches as the fixed position of the small seconds looks silly on a large dial.

Nomos used it as the basis of the Alpha movement, although somewhat refined and now manufactured by them in house. I have one in a Nomos Club and it performs very well. The Omega needs some attention though, as it's not running as well as it should. (It's in the queue for a service !)