Forums Latest Members

Number Style on a Vintage Zenith Chrono in Comparison to UG Chronos

1. Phranz Jan 2, 2015

Dear Connaisseurs!
    I am not 100% sure if this Zenith Chrono dial is legit? Case Ser. Nr. on the back bottom: 773xxx
    2160.jpg

My question is a little tricky because of the interwoven history of Zenith and Universal Geneve:
    This one is a calibre 156 (actually Martel/UG but Zenith signed). I have seen in the book of Mr. Sala on UG chronos, that for the almost identical Uni-Compaxes the number "3" is nearly always written with a straight horizontal head, not with a curved one.
    And in Rösslers book there are a lot of variations, sometimes completely straight on the outside scales as well as on the totalizers, sometimes mixed in many variations.
    What do you think about this one?

regards Franz

2. Rafal Kulesza Jan 2, 2015

In the book "Zenith Swiss Watch Manufacture Since 1865" Manfred Rosller shows watch caliber 156D which is very similar. Another date of manufacture (about 1950, serial number 915538), but the same notes and the same arrangement of sub dials.

3. ELV web Jan 2, 2015

I am just a noob, but LoUs and Hijax both have a zenith with curved heads 3 and they are sure legit. U can check the other threads on zenith threads to see for yourself. As for the whole dial, the ink seems fine and crisp but something on the 3'o clock subdial bothers me, the index line next to "10" on the subdial to be precise.

Edited Jan 2, 2015
  4. Rafal Kulesza Jan 2, 2015

The watch is above the index is the same so that it can be considered correct.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 2, 2015

Yep, good. That's just how Zenith did their dials.

6. Phranz Jan 2, 2015

thx for your expertise LouS!
    regards

7. Rafal Kulesza Jan 3, 2015

Phranz,write question PM on FB profile:
    https://www.facebook.com/zenithwatches
    when I wrote the story of the development of Zenith I got there a few answers that I could not get anywhere in the internet were contradictory information.
    Possible that you get an answer to your question.