Forums Latest Members
  1. panic k. Nov 7, 2017

So you do the research, you ask for opinions, read the articles see all the photos watch every single youtube review of all the "experts", you make your decision, spent the money and get the watch you decided on. Put it on your wrist and its fantastic. A keeper.. Then what?? what do you do to satisfy your (endless) watch hobby if the budget is reset to zero? :)

and a photo of the new acquisition..

23316468_10155634956015792_3189981884037224968_n.jpg

duc and tudor66 like this.
  2. bdp Nov 7, 2017

So you have discovered the problem
    Once you start you cant stop
    Keep looking!!! the collection will grow
    Congrats on the new addition, wear it well!
    Now to find a companion, they hate to be alone

duc, oddboy and WarrenWess84 like this.
  3. JohnSteed Nov 7, 2017

After this ...

.... now this .... ::psy::

4. Speedy_Gonzales Nov 7, 2017

1. Enjoy the honeymoon period, admire it daily, tell it it is the only one for you.
    2. Admire other pieces but don't actively pursue.
    3. Find another piece that speaks to you (or several)
    4. Set a goal on when you plan on acquiring said piece (ie once I get to two hundred posts or X number of dollars)
    5. Start openly obsessing about new piece, see yourself with it, but remember you have something good already.
    6. Tension too much you have the means to acquire what you really want. So you go for it without looking back.
    7. Ah satisfaction!!!
    7. Repeat

panic k. and Mozziebite like this.
  5. Ninja2789 Nov 7, 2017

It never ends. You only justify spending more with the thought "I already spent $X. Spending $X+$Y doesn't seem like that big of a jump"

Congrats on the speedy.

6. Alan_C Nov 7, 2017

Feed your obsession regularly by buying some less expensive models. That'll avoid a long time between purchases.

7. lillatroll Nov 7, 2017

Its a sickness, you just have to feed it or go cold turkey. You keep telling yourself that if you keep it for a couple of years it will, at the very least, hold its value so all you are really doing is turning money into an object that will bring you lots of joy; the problem is, you keep buying and not selling.....you can t let go, that Connie or speedmaster you never wanted, you have to have it because all the cool kids have one....this is life for us poor addicts. Break free while you still can.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  8. Mozziebite Nov 7, 2017

Personally, I think this forum has a lot to answer for in that respect. I went over 20 years as a "one-watch-guy", a Bond SMP in various carnations. Never occurred to me that I needed more. Then I found this place.

Honestly, there should be a big notice on the home page saying "Warning. These forums can be hazardous to your wallet. Continue at own risk." :( ;)

Shailor, lando, GordonL and 1 other person like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 7, 2017

Enjoy the watch and stay away from WRUW and What Did You Buy threads. Beyond that, making sure you never have access to money and never visiting watch sites ever again are the ultimate solutions. :whistling:

Mozziebite likes this.
  10. SeanO Nov 7, 2017

You’ll need a Seiko diver of some description and a more formal dress watch which could be vintage because you’re only going to wear it occasionally.

That’ll do you for at least a couple of years/months.

11. tudor66 Nov 7, 2017

Congrats, it fits you well. I just got back into Omega's as well with a recent speedmaster purchase. Now I want a second speedmaster to wear on a leather strap for weekend activity... Yes, it's quite a sickness...

12. kkt Nov 7, 2017

Convince yourself, and your CFO if applicable, that you will sell some lesser watch in your collection for enough to pay for at least half of your new grail. Never get around to putting it up for sale.

13. jimmyd13 Nov 8, 2017

If you listen carefully, you'll hear that 2998 calling your name .... Whispering .... Telling you how much it will love you .... Drape itself over your wrist .... Love you looooong time ....

Edward53 and panic k. like this.
  14. panic k. Nov 8, 2017

had to google that. looks georgeous. that and the gemini blue are my favourites

jimmyd13 likes this.
  15. jimmyd13 Nov 8, 2017

... and this is why the Forum is so dangerous ... You've just seen something you never even knew you wanted that costs more than many nice cars.

16. Tritium Nov 8, 2017

As far as you're ready to survive just with baked beans after a big purchase, you're ok.

17. panic k. Nov 8, 2017

i was always a fan of watches but never really got into it very deep. had several fashion watches (armani etc.) but that was it. one day i was looking for nice camera bag and ended up at wotancraft. there was a link to their watch straps. once i saw them on the panerai bronzo that was it. love at first sight. this got me into searching more about panerai and then other brands.. the rest is history.. so basically yeah, the internet is not good for the wallet..

18. Moadib Nov 8, 2017

Agree - cold turkey might be the only way. On the other hand 'this is it' - it's not a practice run, and just need to enjoy your time here as you can. If working to afford a nice watch is a pleasure - go for it. If I think what I've spent on cars over the years, and every one depreciates like a stone and all basically do the same at the end of the day. Watches also all do the same thing at the end of the day, but I've spent far less on them, they sometimes go UP in value, and I've had way more pleasure.

19. panic k. Nov 8, 2017

Tell me about it. Spent 45k on my car. Now i'm lucky if i sell it for 15..

20. Moadib Nov 8, 2017

Imagine if the 30k difference instead went on vintage Speedmasters...! We'd all be retiring. Either that or having interesting chats with the taxman!