Forums Latest Members

Now that's what I call a contest!

1. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book May 23, 2019

Just a 19ft recreation of the Gemini spacecraft delivered in a Flying Guppy. Tell me you still don't want this...

"How will it feel to present your spacecraft to your city for a park or museum?” I wouldn't know because that bad boy would be docking in my backyard!

IMG_20190520_202941.jpg

Kmart, gostang9, Traveler and 10 others like this.
  2. Utheman May 23, 2019

I was just about to send in my entry but noticed I missed the deadline by just a little bit.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. yvrclimber May 23, 2019

Wow! That would have been an impressive 'toy'. You'd be the most popular kid in the neighbourhood.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

I wonder what ever happened to it. I’d be more interested in every Revell model
    Kit actually.

queriver likes this.
  5. TLIGuy May 23, 2019

Someone researched it in January 2009 and went to Revell PR Dept. and got this letter back from them.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I spoke to a man by the name of Howard Reider. Howard was the man who brought this idea to life. In 1967, he was the PR & Marketing Manager for Revell. He was very sorry, but had zero information on who won the prize. His best suggestion would be to look in local papers in Oregon or possibly Boys Life Magazine archives as the prize was donated by a winner to a local museum. Possibly, the museum in Oregon has a file on this and the boy that won.

To confirm for all, this was not a model. This was an actual replica that was produced by McDonald Douglas. The capsule had to be shipped via railroad direct to the museum. The prize was awarded via a sweepstakes type entry, in order to win; the winner had to agree that they would donate to a local museum for two reasons, (1) So that others may enjoy and (2) Because it had to be shipped via railroad direct to the donation site.

A little more trivia for you, the cost of building this kit was $5,000. In 1967 $5,000 was unheard for any type of prize. Plus the additional model kits that the kid won. At least the kid got to keep all the model kits as he watched his beloved capsule given away. There were numerous glitches along the way in production. At the last minute McDonald Douglas said they would not provide the capsule. However, after seeing all the press etc, they some how found a way to complete the project and deliver to the museum.

I would be interested in hearing any further information on this if the museum has the name of the winner etc.

I realize this does not answer your number one question of WHO the big winner is, hopefully, you will find some of this info helpful.

Also, it made Howard's day when I called him and asked about this. He said in all the years after this contest, not one person ever called him about it again. He was astounded that now 40+ years later that people are interested.

Please keep me advised if you are able to find the winner etc."

Regards,

Joyce Collier
    Revell Sales

Kmart, gostang9, Wivac and 5 others like this.
  6. Bumper May 23, 2019

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2019

I'm hoping to win the actual lunar lander . I just need 2.8 million more box tops to win :thumbsup:

images.jpg

Omegafanman and Foo2rama like this.
  8. omegaswisst May 23, 2019

How cool is that Gemini capsule.

First prize winner also received 200 Revell model kits, five year supply of Baskin-Robbins ice cream and Vox guitar :)

Edited May 23, 2019
    queriver likes this.
  9. queriver May 24, 2019

Used to love building and painting Revell models as a kid, especially warships. I know I had USS Wisconsin, Long Beach, Oriskany and my favourite was a Polaris sub that opened up on the side so you could see all the internals and it came with spring loaded missiles. Also had an RAAF F-111 and an old sailing ship (can't remember what). Unfortunately all are long gone. They were great for developing dexterity - probably very good for budding young watchmakers to be - and, I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but playing with a smartphone just isn't the same.

Edit: and how can I forget - a Saturn V and a Lunar Module.

Edited May 24, 2019
  10. alam May 24, 2019

Is the required amount of glue included?

:)

glue.JPG
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2019

No, but it is the required brand :thumbsup: