Forums Latest Members

Now that the ST#2 chaos is over, how do we feel about the DON?

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 10, 2018

godfather-movie.jpg

OK, now that the Don jokes are out of the way too, what do people think about the reappearance of the Dot Over 90 bezel? Obviously this Ultraman version has orange text, but seems like Omega are lining up for a re-issue of the 105.012 or something for next year... DoN bezel, applied logo, log indices, stepped dial.

All very cool.

Omega-Speedmaster-Ultraman-Speedy-Tuesday-4.jpg

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 10, 2018

IMHO a very well thought out design decision... it worked 50 years ago and will work for another 50 years.
    A DON bezel can surely be done for the half-a-century LE Apollo 11 Speedmaster, just by changing the font of the text :thumbsup:

Pun, av8ffej and bazderome like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 10, 2018

IMHO they where doing a custom bezel for it, so why not.

The 1ST didn’t get it as it was based on a DNN watch.

4. gdupree Jul 10, 2018

I think the design kicks ass. I am most excited about the step dial... that's a major factor in the appearance IMO, and one that is markedly better than domed dials. I never thought that they would bring this back.

The DON specifically... it's a cool nod to collectors, so I like it. But obviously that dot only became a notable trait because it signified age and possibly rarity (not really though), which it doesn't really represent in this context. But still, it's a nod to collectors and is appreciated.

EDIT: the only thing that I don't really like is the ultraman silouhette on the subdial. It kind of just looks like a blob, and makes that subdial look messy. Nice idea to directly represent ultraman on it, bit I would have preferred that be somewhere on the caseback, or something like that perhaps.

Edited Jul 10, 2018
    frazierspa, Pun, Caliber561 and 9 others like this.
  5. WatchVaultNYC Jul 10, 2018

When the new Railmasters came out, the AT2500 Railmasters stopped selling as quickly as before, even though they looked completely different. Will the reappearance of DON bezels affect the prices and desirablity of vintage Speedys with DON bezels?

Also, regarding the dial, am I crazy or does it look like the lume indices are inset into the dial?

6. Maganator Jul 10, 2018

I like the DON on the ultraman and hopefully they use it on future releases.

Seems utterly bonkers to me that if you want to get a decent DON bezel that is in keeping with what the vintage Speedmasters required that you have to fork out thousands of dollars/pounds. For a bezel.

7. abrod520 Jul 10, 2018

I personally like the DON and the stepped/AML dial, though I think they would be better off left for LE releases. I think that should Omega reinstate production of the DON bezel for non-limited release, and not add any distinctive changes to be able to tell new vs old, might actually be a good thing for vintage Speedmasters - I don't think we'd see as many 145.022-69s with <30m serials and DNN bezels, which means '80s models wouldn't have their DNNs pulled off. And I'm sure nicely faded vintage DONs would still retain value / add extra value to watches they appear on

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 10, 2018

I need to take a closer look to see if there are any notable differences in the new DON and the old one.. At least it's Omega making them and not some sketchy back room "artisan" .

..speaking of, anyone got a line on a silver Base 1000 bezel from the 60th? $$$ awaiting for ya if you do.

Kbjohn and Baz9614 like this.
  9. BenBagbag Jul 10, 2018

It would be strange for them to release watches with indistinguishable DON's on them. It would certainly infuriate collectors who have spent $$$ on DON bezels. It would make more sense if they offered re-pro DON's when 321's are sent in for service.

My guess is that they'd never do it. They had a chance for the 60th to release legit repro parts but they didn't. Enough was kept distinguishable (now again here with the Red). I think it was by design.

lando, connieseamaster and Davidt like this.
  10. BenBagbag Jul 10, 2018

The next thing I'll say -- This is the most vintage style watch they've made. It caters the most to vintage collectors. DON-style bezel, step, AML - true vintage features. I see @Spacefruit's criticism here for that reason.

lando likes this.
  11. Davidt Jul 10, 2018

I think it's a missed opportunity.

The orange/red chrono hand - brilliant. The DON and stepped dial, brilliant.

But the ridiculous amount of red everywhere looks rubbish in my opinion. Then again, I think the Snoopy looks like it cost about 4.99 so what do I know.

Possibly a pre-cursor to a pre-moon re-edition next year but I hope not. Initially I though it would be cool. Then the more I think about it, the more I think it's a shame. If anyone wants a 105.012, they can buy one. Ok they aren't on every corner, but they aren't exactly rare, despite what dealers would have you think.

What does it say about Omega if they start reverting to DoN bezels and stepped dials for every LE? Have they run out of ideas? I know they've been doing vintage inspired pieces and reissues for years , but not to this extent.

Pure speculation obviously, I hope the DoNs and step dials don't make a comeback. Leave them in the past.

12. sog00d Jul 10, 2018

Very thoughtfully done. They didn’t crush the value of existing vintage DONs like they could have done bu doing an exact reissue. I’m happy they changed something. And I like the hit of colour, works well with the chrono hand and colour combo on this piece.

Edited Jul 11, 2018
    snarkq likes this.
  13. sevenhelmet Jul 10, 2018

I like the return of the DON and stepped dial. :thumbsup:

KeepTheSpeed, Watchmutt, Pun and 3 others like this.
  14. smitty190373 Jul 10, 2018

How are they supposed to do a re issue of 60s watch that had a do90 bezel and step dial... without them? It's not a like for like do90 bezel from the 60s, it has different finish and coloured text. And the dial is a modern take on the step design.

If it had had no do90 bezel, no step dial, no applied logo, no flat foot crown etc etc .... it wouldnt be much of a re issue would it.

shishy and queriver like this.
  15. ext1 Jul 10, 2018

The bezel would have been better without the red....but it would have been better without the DON in the first place. It belongs in the past...it should stay there for the present and future's sake.

Foo2rama and Davidt like this.
  16. smitty190373 Jul 10, 2018

But its a re issue of a watch from the past.

17. bonerp Jul 10, 2018

I don't get the Don as there's a dne... (dot next to 80)...sorry noob I'll do some homework!
    I like the watch a lot and only on the reserve list. Bum.
    Good size not sure about ultraviolet ultraman!

18. Davidt Jul 10, 2018

What about the countless other Speedmaster reissues that don't have a DON or a step dial?

ext1 and BenBagbag like this.
  19. smitty190373 Jul 10, 2018

What other 60s Speedmaster have been re issued?

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. BenBagbag Jul 10, 2018

This was my point. The ST2 has a nerd-like attention to collector details. The vintage community obsesses over stepped dials, applied logos, DON bezels and this Speedmaster gave them that. Past Speedmasters played up the vintage style but didn't play up these details.

It's as if the ST2 was made for a community of people who are familiar with these details -- which made it more appropriate to be a Speedy Tuesday watch - as it really caters to this community.