Forums Latest Members
  1. rhawthorn Feb 19, 2018

I have been discussing this watch described as Omega Seamaster Automatic Cal 1020 Watch I believe it is around a 1978.
    I am a complete novice but looking to learn, I wanted an opinion as to whether it looks right or has it been made of many other watches

Would really appreciate any help

Omega.jpg Omega1.jpg Omega2.jpg Omega3.jpg Omega4.jpg
  2. JohnSteed Feb 19, 2018

\More experienced OF family will likely advise soon

You can type in case reference numbers to get info off the web. For example, one result using “Omega 166 0209” you know Omega made the reference-

https://omegaforums.net/threads/novice-looking-to-buy-vintage-omega.71485/

849CEE93-53BB-4296-A4BD-CBA5417ED22D.jpeg

One search using ‘omega 166 0209’ gets you this and much more -
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-vintage-seamaster-166-0209.64669/

Above and other posts can help you check fonts on the dial are original or repainted. For example, compare “Swiss made” on your target with others. On the internals such as movement, work through same process.

Time it takes you to figure it out is worth while.....good luck

rhawthorn likes this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 19, 2018

Personally I would not buy that or recommend it to a friend. The dial appears to be repainted and the day and date wheels do not match.
    I would recommend searching this forum for a thread titled “Teach a man to fish” and reading it thoroughly before buying anything. The sales forums here are also a good hunting ground as they are in many ways vetted by the members and misrepresentations will generally be noted.
    Good luck and hang around, it’s a great place to learn.

Jerseyhammer and rhawthorn like this.
  4. Jerseyhammer Feb 20, 2018

The advice from Shaun hk is sound , but it depends on the price being asked and what you want the watch for. As a herlum I think you could find better examples but it’s all about your budget

5. rhawthorn Feb 20, 2018

thanks Jerseyhammer, Shaun HK, John steed. Looking to spend between $500-1000 AUD if any of you have a suggestion

6. Mrschouls Feb 20, 2018

Why not look at the Constellation family

7. chipsotoole Feb 21, 2018

Personally I'd look for a bit earlier vintage 1960's. There are heaps of models you could get for 1000 AUD. Perhaps one with the 601 611 movements or perhaps a Seamster cosmic 565 movement.....perhaps a funky Dynamic if you like the style.
    Do your research. Decide on what features and style of dial you want. The more complications the less choice you'll have in your budget. Keep an eye out for watches with original Omega steel bracelets...you have the choice of selling them on separately if you want and offsetting a bit.
    Bear in mind you'll probably have to fork out for a cleaning and revision unless it is sold as having been recently revised. This can often be as much as the watch itself. The more complications..date/day/automatic/ chroograph, the more the revision price rises.
    Be careful buying black dials...EVERYBODY loves 'em and many are redialed or messed about with.
    Once you've found a ref you like , take lots and lots of looks on google pictures and follow the links to the sellers websites. Remember dealers want top dollar and what a seller asks for on ebay BIN or Chrono 24 are usually considerably over what the market thinks the watch is worth. I was recently researching a lovely mid 50's p478 JLC calatrava I have recently revised and in my collection. on ebay...Unusually I found 3 for sale at the same time (one was gold) ..the sellers wanted 2850, 750, 770 USD BIN prices. none of the three sold. ...Watch would probably sell nearer 600-700 USD (I think). Condition is key. Make sure you see the movement. Once you've googled through enough pics you'll have a firm idea of what to expect.
    Be patient (something I still struggle with).
    Good luck!

gillsharkspeare and rhawthorn like this.
  8. Jerseyhammer Feb 21, 2018

I would look at 50’s or 60’ models

rhawthorn likes this.
  9. Jerseyhammer Feb 21, 2018

rhawthorn likes this.
  10. Hnansen Feb 21, 2018

I certainly hope that the OP doesn't follow your suggestion, @Jerseyhammer .. :)

845 dollars for a badly repainted Cosmic with a tired movement?