Forums Latest Members

Novice looking for Omega Constellation Pie Pan 18k with silver dial

1. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

Greetings forum,

This is a first as I just joined an have very recently delved into this complex world of vintage Omega particularly Constellation watches. I was hoping to get some expert advice on this offering. I am fairly certain the crown is wrong and perhaps the case is over polished but what about price? Other aberrations?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281189377561?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank you kindly.

2. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

To be clear I may be licking my wounds as a result of an impetuous purchase, which I did consummate a few days ago. The seller does have a return clause which reassured me. Thanks for your help!

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 19, 2013

Price a bit high for the condition of the watch - dial has age and patina and case has been polished. For that price, the condition has to be better.

4. Hijak Oct 19, 2013

A little to polished for my taste, especially at this money and it looks like the rotor has been rubbing on the case back...could indicate some movement trouble.

5. rick42650 Oct 19, 2013

the case back looks better and less polished than the front lugs and bezel...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2013

The faults are noted, there are attributes to the watch as well. The biggest issue here is the price...you are getting into Deluxe gold dial territory with that price.

7. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

I'll have it checked out. Movement trouble is death to the deal. Too polished meaning excess material was removed or is it referring more or less to aesthetic value?

8. Hijak Oct 19, 2013

This is a very attractive style, this dial with the arrow head markers is quite desirable, in 18k gold no less. About the polishing, yes to both, the removing of material and the ascetic value. Over polishing removes the nice sharp edges of the case and also the original finish. About the rotor...this is not the end of the world but should be noted and checked out by a competent watchmaker. The lesson to be learned here is to check with the forum before purchase! Especially on a purchase of this magnitude, even the most experienced here would check with his fellow forum members before pulling the trigger on something like this.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 19, 2013

I would NOT recommend that seller. He has had multiple accounts over the years, all of which have been mysteriously abandoned.

I he has been known to sell counterfeit, gold Rolex, Omega and Patek buckles, reported listings were removed by eBay.

Want more info PM me.

10. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

I appreciate it and humbly begin to lick my silly wounds. Does anyone have photos or a link to a similar watch of desirable condition?

11. John R Smith Oct 19, 2013

It's a solid gold Connie with a pie-pan dial and the early arrowhead markers. Here in the UK that £2k GBP price-tag would be a pretty fair price from a trader, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Quite ordinary 18k automatics are asking £1,500 to £1,800 these days. The patinated dial is fine too, IMHO. It's a nice sort of patina. The crown is wrong (fixable) the case is very shiny (but the observatory on the back is nice and crisp, so brownie points there). And the rotor bearings may be worn, although it can't be bad otherwise you would see a big gouge in the inner caseback which simply isn't there.

A lot depends on which country you are viewing this from. If you live in Vermont, this is likely an outrageous rip-off. If you live in Cornwall like me, it seems a lot more reasonable ;)

P.S. It's when you start to try finding another one which is the same (no cheating, now) and in better condition and actually for sale at the moment and for the same money or less that you may have second thoughts . . .

mbeast likes this.
  12. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

It seems the decagonal pie pan crowns are next to impossible to find. There may be some hope in this watch though, even if I overpaid, the lesson is learned and it may not be a complete disaster. My deepest concern will be in the movement. Is a worn rotor bearing fixable? Sorry for the litany of questions as I stumble behind the curve! ::beer::

13. Hijak Oct 19, 2013

Hey that's the whole idea of this forum...ask away!:) It is fixable but I'm not experienced enough to know cost, someone will chime in shortly about that.

14. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 19, 2013

Correct 10-sided crowns are available for this watch from Ofrei.com.

http://www.ofrei.com/page_147.html#8010

Even the originals were not solid gold. Price is a little less than the above listing and you are buying from an authorized Omega parts dealer.

I'm in agreement with most of the others here in that you've overpaid for this watch by about $1,000 to $1,500. Movement looks very clean and should be checked out for condition.

Here's a more realistically priced watch in similar condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarce-Mens...189058401?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19e3626361Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I've purchased from this seller before on a BIN and he will usually consider a reasonable offer. While not an early pie-pan, it could be a rare cal. 352 movement model. You'd need to ask for movement pictures to be sure.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

16. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

Great info!
    I think I saw this listed. Is there not much difference in price between 14k and 18k?

17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 19, 2013

Depends on where you live, in Asia the difference is about 1K or a bit more (everything else is in same condition).

Talking about your watch, I would keep that crown until I find the correct and original crown with matching color.

18. Sherbie Oct 19, 2013

The second listed watch has a horrible connie logo on the back - polished to within an inch of its life. The original listed watch at least has a superb case back, as was noted by John. Yes, IMHO, 18k has much more prestige than 14k gold, and also agree with John about purchase price being relative to where you are based. $3.5k equates to about £2.2k, give or take, so you may have overpaid by £400-500 by UK prices - not the end of the world - the listing does state watch has been serviced

i,d get an instant second opinion on this as soon as you receive the watch, and ask if the rotor wear issue on the case back has now been resolved

best of luck, paul

JM251 likes this.
  19. JM251 Oct 19, 2013

20. John R Smith Oct 20, 2013

At first sight this Connie (the Moonwatch one) looks very good, but you need to be careful assessing it. The photographs are not very good at all, and may well be concealing more than they reveal. At the least the one you have purchased was very well photographed and there should be no nasty surprises when it turns up that you were not already aware of. I would take some time and assess the watch you have purchased carefully when it arrives, and see how you feel about it when you have the real thing in your hands.

Every vintage Omega has its strengths and its weaknesses. As has been said before, you can't really have everything in this game - unless it is genuinely NOS, and that hardly ever happens these days. And if it did, you would not dare to wear it. I've been looking at your original listing again, and in many ways the good points outweigh the bad. Price is another matter, but you can't really blame the seller for getting the most he could. You chose to pay it ;) - in five years time, that price will almost certainly seem cheap . . .

JM251 likes this.