Forums Latest Members
  1. Xtof Jul 24, 2022

Please let me introduce you this rare Omega suitcase:

Chronometrage Omega Suitcase 1.jpg

As you may guess, this is not your ordinary Omega suitcase. "Chronometrage Omega" may sound familiar to some of you: this is the name of the entity that was responsible for the timekeeping of many sport events, including most of the Olympic Games since 1932. It was merged later in the 1970s when the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry encouraged Omega and Longines to join their forces under one entity named "Swiss Timing", which is still part of the Swatch group.

When you open the suicase, you find an interesting time-piece made of 2 clock timers on pedestal:

Chronometrage Omega Suitcase 2.jpg

Both are 1/5th second 60 minutes clock timers, powered by the Omega Lemania-based 1350. Interestingly, the serial numbers are consecutive and can be dated from 1966.

In the suitcase, hiden in small holes located behind the timers, can be found a pair of remote control cables, that could be plugged into the left button, with similar action (start/stop) to the central black pusher.

Chronometrage Omega Suitcase 3.jpg

I was curious to know for which sports such timepiece was designed, and I found an interesting booklet published by Omega for the 1948 Olympic Games that mentions explicitly this "apparatus".

Omega 1948 Olympic Booklet 1.jpg

"Olympic timers to 1/5 second on pedestal" to be used for ...

Omega 1948 Olympic Booklet 2.jpg

... Basket-ball

As this time-piece was made in the late 1960s, when electronic devices were commonly used for significant sport events, I wonder which events have been effectively timed by this pair of timers. I guess not too many if I consider the perfect condition of the suitcase.

P.S.
    Thanks to this forum and its members to share and host so many great resources :
    - To learn more about Omega and Lemania Stopwatches: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-and-lemania-stopwatches-quick-identification-table.53628/
    - And to compare with a similar (mono-)timer, but under the Longines brand: https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-with-identification-of-omega-caliber-needed.93543/
    Based on the serial, the Longines stopwatch was made a bit later. Also confirmed by the electric plug that is added at the back of the watch to be connected with a device that enables to start or stop the timer thanks to an electrical impluse.

perks713, Mark020, JimInOz and 10 others like this.
  2. MDubs Jul 24, 2022

Thanks for showing us this, and teaching me about this really special Omega suitcase and it’s contents. Super cool!! Love the booklet as well!