Forums Latest Members
  1. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 26, 2017

Hello. I have been around for a year and am still a noob. As such I could use some help. I have inherited an Omega watch that my late grandfather wore daily. My Dad had it for years, and passed it to me when he learned of my interest in Omegas. I am told this watch dates from the early 50's or possibly late 1940's. It's gold. The crown is original. The band is not. The crystal is hesalite and has some cracks. What is throwing me is there is no name like Seamaster or Geneve on the dial. The dial says simply Swiss at the bottom. No hippocampus on the back. I'm not sure the caseback is original.

My forum research leads me to believe this might be an early Constellation which were sold in the US without being named as such. But I'm not sure. I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what this watch is.

I have some photos and will add more once I get the back open. I'm not qualified to do it myself. I do know how important the movement and caseback shots are.

It's my grandfathers watch. It still runs. I'll wear it no matter what. But I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer this nooob who stumbled into this watch.

I thank you all in advance.

IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG
    murph, Jwit and Toishome like this.
  2. DON Jul 26, 2017

Some models didn't have names. Just a Omega Automatic, so nothing inscribed on the back like the Seamaster or Connie models

I would remove the bracelet and switch to a leather strap. If solid gold. They eat through the gold.

Is the case marked anywhere on the outside mentioning gold content? Could also be gold filled. Don't see any wear through, but not the best images

If a bumper. You will feel the rotor bouncing off the springs. Nothing, then full rotor

DON

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2017

Not sure what you have until you show us inside but here is some others without name

(Link just to show you dials in that era didn't always have model names on the dial.)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-old-watch-omega-2910.61111/#post-762297

( not like some modern watches that have a short story on the dial )

4. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 26, 2017

Thanks DON. It is a bumper then because I could feel that on my wrist. I'll post better pics with the movement shots.

5. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 26, 2017

"If a bumper. You will feel the rotor bouncing off the springs. Nothing, then full rotor"

BTW it was my wife's first guess that it was a bumper automatic. And I do feel the rotor move around.

More to come....

6. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 26, 2017

IMG_1986.JPG On close inspection with a jewlers eyepiece, the case says 14k gold filled "Ross." The band says 10k top caps and stainless steel bottom caps. Too tiny for the cameras I have to photograph.

Edited Jul 26, 2017
  7. Canuck Jul 26, 2017

The bracelet I think it is safe to say, is not original to the watch. In that era, a lot of gent's watches were sold on straps. Your bracelet (IMO) is much newer than the watch. Love to see what is inside the case. Dial looks okay to me, but the crown is wrong for the watch. The crystal appears to have a large crack in it. Try to deal with a watch repair who specializes in antique and vintage mechanical watches, and is able to get genuine Omega parts.

wavey likes this.
  8. mac_omega Jul 26, 2017

I think it is a US model...

Jwit likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 27, 2017

Ross case would indeed be a very good indicator of that.

Jwit likes this.
  10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2017

Hi Dave, nice watch with great history!

Coincidently, I have a Dennison cased 1949 30.10 bumper I was just talking to Norman (X350 XJR) about that is marked very similarly to yours.

It's one of my favorite daily wearers
    I always thought it was a Seamaster precursor.

Does yours measure 34-35mm?
    With the Ross case it may be hard to tell what you have but we will find out more when you pop her open.

See how our fonts compare?

DSCN0205 3.jpg

murph and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2017

Edit: Wadsworth case on mine, not Dennison.
    No more 2:00am posts!

12. JBDinMad Jul 27, 2017

Hi All,
    I have another bumper with similar markings.
    The back has no engravings and the dial only reads Omega Automatic. I have traced the watch to 1946
    This one was sold and bought in Spain.
    20170606_184305.jpg

murph and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  13. Maganator Jul 27, 2017

I love the fonts of the number 12 on the OP's watch!

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  14. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 27, 2017

The band is gold but not original. I'm keeping it cause it's vintage but am going to look for a nicer leather strap than the one I'm using today. image.jpg

murph likes this.
  15. perks713 Jul 27, 2017

@Tik-Tok of Oz : Nice watch, excellent coffee mug. Edit: Creepy Yoda.

Edited Jul 27, 2017
    ConElPueblo and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2017

JBD, I'm afraid yours has been repainted, so it's hard to tell much. Do you have a movement or inside caseback
    shot?

17. JBDinMad Jul 27, 2017

Hi,
    I know it was repainted. I like the looks and wear it every now and then.
    It is a 28.10.RA bumber movement. Via Omega vintage I traced the year to 1946 and part of the "International Collection". It was bought by my grandfather in Spain.
    I had pictures of the movement taken the last time I had it serviced, but unfortunately lost them in a computer crash...I will have some more taken the next time I take it to the shop, Not due for another two years.

Tik-Tok of Oz and perks713 like this.
  18. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 29, 2017

IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2004.JPG Update: here are the long awaited pictures of the caseback and movement.

So it's the 354 movement it's a bumper automatic.

Also here are some caseback shots showing gold filled and appears to last been serviced in 1962!

Hope I didn't don't post anything that could allow counterfeiting But I'm excited to see inside this little watch.

Any more info would be appreciated. I'm going to have fun now swapping straps.

murph likes this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 29, 2017

Dave, what are the first few numerals of the serial number located on the movement? That will allow us to date the movement.
    Your little jewel there is newer than I expected.

I wouldn't be too concerned about counterfeiters.

20. Tik-Tok of Oz Jul 29, 2017

IMG_2011.JPG
    1378 looks like

Edited Jul 29, 2017