Forums Latest Members

Not sure about purchase: seamaster ref 166.002 cal 562

1. DaanK Jan 4, 2019

Hello everyone, im new here on this forum also, its good to read there is no shame in paying rookie tax because im pretty sure i overpaid on this one. I did my purchase the wrong way around, firts buying then becoming a member of the omegaforum :p. After paying for the watch i saw that the crown had been replaced. Also, the guy said it was a watch from 1962,when it arrived it had a sticker on the strap saying it was from 1965. He replied that the watch was indeed from 1965, clearly not the year he stated it to be in his ad. Is there a difference in quality and thus price between these two years? Im thinking about asking for my money back because he was advertising about this specific year of production.

Furthermore im now not sure if the dial hands are original and if it has a re-dial. Also i read that seamasters from this era were all front loading watches. This one clearly isn't. Does this calibre match the housing or is it a frankenwatch?

I paid 495 euros for the watch, its gold plated with 40 microns. Did i over pay or is it still a good deal?

Im trying to re sell the watch a.t.m. Its way to small for my wrist. Seeing that its unclear from wich year the watch is and that the crown has been replaced i stated this in my advertisement, not trying to be like the guy before me:).

In advance, thanks for the help.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 4, 2019

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 4, 2019

Some, not all, Seamasters from the period were monocoques, and many had screw-in case backs, so you need not be alarmed there. 166.002 was screw-in.

The dial appears original to me, but the hands have been changed. Originals would have been stick hands with a tritium insert. Crowns come and go and are one of the most replaced items on a watch, so the main thing is, does the crown give a good seal and is it a genuine Omega crown? I can't see any Omega logo on the crown and so it may be generic, but an incorrect crown is no biggie.

It's advisable to check the diameter of a vintage watch you're interested in. Most vintage Omegas from the 60's are about 33 - 34mm, excepting tool watches, and if it looks too small on the wrist I would be opting for the bigger models of the late 60s and early 70s

Cheers

Desmond

Samir, STANDY and Shabbaz like this.
  4. DaanK Jan 4, 2019

Thanks for the reply, i bought if from catawiki. The watch is indeed from 1965 and not from 1962. I checked the serial number.

Its a generic one i believe, there is no logo on it.

Thanks for the help. I think i have to lower my asking price for this watch. What do you think its worth ?

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 4, 2019

Depends where you're selling it. Maybe the equivalent of 4 - 500 USD? Perhaps let the market decide and put it on eBay?

6. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 4, 2019

Put it on Markplaats and let the market decide.

7. DaanK Jan 4, 2019

Im selling on chrono24. Asking price now at 700,chrono suggested 873 but that seemed way to much from the beginning. Maybe auction is better suitable indeed. Thanks so much for the help. Yesterday i ordered the omega book from seamaster to seamaster so soon i will be more educated:p

8. cristos71 Jan 4, 2019

Sorry, but it looks like a €200-250 watch all day long- either return it if you can or be prepared to take a hit!

9. DaanK Jan 4, 2019

I contacted the seller that im not happy with the way things went. He was clearly advertising with the productions date en switch labels before posting it. I also just noticed that a washer on the centre pin is loose. Im taking my ad down from chrono and will talk to the seller.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 4, 2019

Take the postage hit if he offers to take it back without blinking.