Forums Latest Members
  1. BenBagbag Mar 22, 2017

Hey guys,

I'm still trying to learn more about Omegas. I figure if I see a watch on Ebay that doesn't make it to the recommended page it is NOT recommended. I am still learning (I've only been stalking these forums for a bit over a month) so I would like to know what I am missing. Thank you for all your help. You should know that I have done research on this one. I cannot find many examples of a 2496 out there. I have not seen one with crosshairs like this but they seem to go to the end of the case. The Omega logo looks time appropriate.

Here is the listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-c-1...234781?hash=item5696dcb79d:g:~FMAAOSwImRYiTSzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

That being said I'd love to know why this one isn't recommended? Is there a dead giveaway that I'm missing? s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

This is an example of OF user fjf's 283-2496 (which is why I assume the font is ok and why it is okay that there is no Seamaster on it)
    fjf283.jpg

2. waterproofpt Mar 22, 2017

Although the folks here keep an eye on auctions I don't think it's reasonable to expect that every single listing will be vetted. So Just because it doesn't show up on that thread as a recommended watch doesn't necessarily mean that it is one to be avoided. But it sounds like you're on the right path and doing some good research.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 22, 2017

That is a nice watch but it is not a seamaster because it is not waterproof, the size is about 33mm I think.

4. RJwatches Mar 22, 2017

Heavy patina, if it's your thing this is a good watch.

5. jrhave2 Mar 22, 2017

To my eyes, this is much more similar to the cal 283 Omega Century from the mid 50s...other than the fact that it's missing the word "Century" right below "Omega". I would recommend you head to Omega's site and look through their vintage watch pictures from the mid-50s. The search functionality isn't great so it's a little time consuming, but it's probably the best way to confirm what you're looking at.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage/

Other thoughts - the case has been polished (not extensively) and I'm guessing that's not the original crystal, but I love the patina. As @RJwatches notes, this isn't every collectors "thing", but I personally love the age on these. At this price, you can wear it daily.

6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 22, 2017

I'm currently wearing a very similar 283 from 1950... excellent watches but those cases are not waterproof. I need to be extra careful just washing my hands with mine on. A good every day watch..... except when its raining....

... or a bit humid...

7. François Pépin Mar 22, 2017

Actually, as said above, there is nothing really wrong with this watch.

But there are maybe a few issues that could explain why it is not already sold:
    - the dial is much more patinated than the case, which results in a slightly disharmonic whole.
    - the movement is tired.

I think the dial could clean up nicely if properly treated - with great care due to the the radium. So could be a nice watch if the movement has not big issues.

8. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2017

Not waterproof because of the snap-on back, or..?

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  9. BenBagbag Mar 22, 2017

I usually find Naligazone to be very helpful in tracking caliber-references. I saw this pic before I posted but didn't want to overload with pics. How many different dials could there be out there? Any way other than extensive search to figure out how many dials existed for each reference? What was Omega practice? Could there be dozens of designs?

Thank you everyone, I'm learning a lot from your troves of wisdom!

CK2496.jpg
  10. François Pépin Mar 22, 2017

Yes.

11. François Pépin Mar 22, 2017

Maybe not dozens but several for sure!

12. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2017

IMG_0166.JPG

Loads of Seamasters have snap-on backs. Complete with "Waterproof" and "Seamaster" text...

François Pépin likes this.
  13. François Pépin Mar 22, 2017

I answered too fast: I think like Hoipolloi that this one cannot be waterproof because it as a snap back and a snap bezel. Moreover this kind of snap back would not come with a gasket, thus it cannot be at all waterproof.

I have seen some seamasters and waterproof Speedmasters with snap backs, but always with a gasket and never with a snap bezel (I mean this kind of bezel).

I could always be wrong of course!

Edited Mar 22, 2017
    hoipolloi, BenBagbag and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2017

That makes perfect sense :)

François Pépin and BenBagbag like this.