Forums Latest Members
  1. Callaway Jan 16, 2020

Were is the best place to post a buying ad until I can do it here?
    Selling is ebay of course, but if i like to buy parts?

2. dx009 Jan 16, 2020

I believe you CAN buy items here, you just can't sell them... I've had people with low or even zero posts message and buy watches from me.

Or are you talking about specifically posting a WTB thread ?

Sidnos likes this.
  3. Capt Cave Man Jan 16, 2020

Hello @Callaway I'm also relatively new and as yet unable to post in the want to buy or for sale areas of OF. This isn't too much of a problem for me as I don't have anywhere near enough pieces or parts to consider selling anything and I'm still learning and investigating on where my focus will lie be it modern, vintage or a particular model etc.

I'm always looking at the various sales and even though I'm below the magical post count, you're able to send a message to the seller, introduce yourself and enquire on what they have posted in the forum. I've been fortunate enough to pickup a SS bracelet for my Constellation :thumbsup:

4. Callaway Jan 16, 2020

But I want to post a WTB thread

5. Callaway Jan 16, 2020

Yes WTB thread

6. janice&fred Jan 16, 2020

ah no problem. tell me what you want, i'll post the WTB ad then double-up on the price for the stuff to you.
    that's the kinda guy I am :D

michael e, momosono and padders like this.
  7. CJpickup57 Jan 16, 2020

Right at the top of the sub forum you want to post in is a very obvious thread title that has your answers in it.

15F64E78-4554-49DA-9F0D-08EA5EFDD4C4.png

KstateSkier, DaveK and Mark020 like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2020

The OP is asking where he can find parts before he's allowed to post WTBs on OF. He's well aware of the 200 rule :)

Foo2rama, Sidnos, Callaway and 2 others like this.
  9. ChrisN Jan 16, 2020

@Callaway - if you say what you're looking for then we may be able to point you to a company that sells them.

Regards, Chris

nonuffinkbloke and Kmart like this.
  10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 16, 2020

Plenty of threads about post farming, don't do that.

You will be excoriated

11. alecuncu Jan 16, 2020

Completely unrelated to the post, but I've never seen this word before. Had to look it up. ::book::
    A random thanks for expanding my vocabulary. :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  12. CJpickup57 Jan 16, 2020

I am unsure as to how you came to that conclusion from this thread. He clearly stated he wanted to post a WTB thread. Three times.
    Then I posted a screen shot of where he could find the forum's stance on the topic he was asking about.

Where did I go wrong trying to help? Should I have also posted a direct like to the rules thread?

I was just trying to point the person in the direction of answers for his question was all. Sorry.

13. dougwhiz Jan 16, 2020

In my high school writing class, there was a sign on the wall that said: "Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation,"
    I finally looked it up and got a chuckle.

alecuncu and DaveK like this.
  14. dx009 Jan 16, 2020

To answer OPs question I don't think that there is any other place where you can post WTB threads. Pretty much all forums (afaik) require a minimum number of posts.

If you like this forum and want to buy/sell things on it then just stick around, post around (not chaotically), learn a thing or two or maybe share some knowledge with us and in a few days/weeks you'll get your post count up.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 16, 2020

The 200 post rule is I believe mostly to protect members from scammers and also prevent drive by ebay fee dodgers who contribute nothing else to the forum. It means that a member hopefully has to engage with the community before making for sale listings. Some of the risks I refer too are not present with a WTB so I am personally a little less critical of people posting informal WTBs. It is hard to scam someone as a buyer. Not impossible I guess but harder. Were I in the OPs shoes, I would just say what I was looking for. If it is deemed out of line, a mod will remove it. Even if a seller doesn't approach the OP directly, a helpful individual like Chris might point him in the right direction. It goes without saying perhaps that a new buyer should perform due diligence when approached by an unknown seller and perhaps check out the seller's previous history.

Mark020 and janice&fred like this.
  16. MRC Jan 16, 2020

Chronotrader http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/ has no restriction, but neither does it have any formal verification. For FS listings there are some eagle eyes that promptly call out obvious scams but WTBs are more difficult. There used to be someone who replied "Available" to every WTB but I haven't seen that poster for quite a while. Do your background checks and it's not the minefield that some make it out to be.

17. ConElPueblo Jan 16, 2020

No worries. I just think you and I read the OP differently - no where does he say that he wants to put a WTB ad here on OF and he specifically mentions eBay as an alternative AND refers to our 200 post rule. Your first quote even says "until I can do it here". I read it as he is seeking alternatives to OF, not that he wants to circumvent the rules.

@Callaway, is this a correct interpretation?

Foo2rama, CJpickup57 and efauser like this.
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 16, 2020

Yes Excoriate!.... Splendid! it's a lovely 'old English' term used to describe the, barbaric, practice of hollowing out the centre of the 'bell end' using a device intended for removing apple cores.:eek:

A little on the severe side for the crime of post farming???::confused2::

61+UMZ4Zr-L._UX522_.jpg.jpeg

Mark020 and alecuncu like this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 16, 2020

No, not at all. In fact it seems quite fitting for those who think they are pulling one over on OF.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 16, 2020

I was thinking more of an internet tongue lashing, but ripping the guts out of the offender is acceptable