Forums Latest Members
  1. Moswissa Feb 19, 2016

i probably don't really need to open a thread but I would like everyone's input. The PO 8500 42mm with the orange bezel was my dream watch and I finally pulled the trigger. It's my first high end watch I ever owned and one that I value greatly.

It's been 2 weeks so far, the watch is very precise but not accurate. Gained a good 63 seconds in 2 weeks. I wear my watch everyday and I'm very active. It gains 2 seconds overnight regardless of resting position and the rest gains consistently throughout the day. I told omega and they say it's normal. I go online and people are getting +1 per day or just way better accuracy in general. Something the 8500 is meant to be doing. , so I guess I'm the unlucky one. My $99 seiko 5 automatic does a better job...The omega tech didn't even wanna touch my watch he said "it's running fine, we make our watches run fast by design blah blah"

Second thing is a common complain I hear everywhere and there isn't a solution. The watch is either too tight or too loose when I add or remove a half life. So I'm just trying to live with it on the loose side.

So it's been 2 weeks and I thought about returning the watch. I really don't want too plus I already feel bad cuz of all the desk scratches it acquired. I probably won't return it but I want you guys to give me some advice on what to do or any similar experiences. I like when I hear others say their watch acts the same but so far from why I have research, everyone is mostly getting excellent accuracy.

Thanks !

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 19, 2016

It's a mechanical watch, you are going to get that. Buy a Quartz if you want better than -1 to +6 a day

Do the math 63 divided by 14. Your watch is fine. That's why you have a crown to tweek the gain once a week.

No mechanical watch is going to be as good as a Quartz. As not many Quartz are going to be as cool as a mechanical

Chill and enjoy the stylish watch you have.

glenn63, Kmart, nate0624 and 10 others like this.
  3. Moswissa Feb 19, 2016

I want to enjoy the watch but spending all this time on the forum and hearing the accuracy of other 8500 watches that are gaining 4 seconds in 2 weeks makes me feel like my watch isnt functioning properly. What accuracy are you getting?

4. Riviera Paradise Feb 19, 2016

63s in 14days = 4.5s/day is not awful....within COSC certification and even METAS standards...let the watch settle in for a few more weeks...if it is still bugging you...you might need to find a watchmaker that can regulate the watch to run slower for you;)

jumpingsecond, watch3s, Spy and 2 others like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 19, 2016

6. alam Feb 19, 2016

63/14 = 4.5, perhaps regulation is in order..

OmegaCal66 and CTS-V like this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 19, 2016

There are 1209600 seconds in 2 weeks, so your watch is running at 99.99479166666667% accuracy. Personally, I think that is quite acceptable!

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2016

I have quite a bit of variance across the 8 or so watches I rotate through. Some run fast, some run slow. Averaged out across all of them, they're about 0.01 spd fast, good enough for me!

watch3s, Ree, OMGRLX and 3 others like this.
  9. Riviera Paradise Feb 19, 2016

LOL

davidswiss likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 19, 2016

Hmm... Your well within time spec for any mechanical watch, and also within COSC rating which is the highest rating, your not every going to find very many mechanical watches that are better then 4.5 seconds a day one way or the other. COSC certifies a watch in multiple positions which is where most will fail horribly. TBH a Sieko 5 that keeps that good a time is a keeper, also note you might be lucky as those sieko movements have a pretty big range depending on what orientation they are.

As for the Tech saying we make them run fast... well the COSC cert states −4/+6 a day is acceptable, and yours is 4.5 a day...

As for the watch band issue... Pretty high odds it is going to be an issue with most bracelets out there for you, unless it has a glidelock extender like the newest Rolex or the Omega Seamaster 300. Honestly you want it a tad loose so that if you are out and exerting yourself on a hot day the watch does not get constricting. The amount of varibility with an Omega 1/2 link it alot more then most bracelets out there.

I have an Orange 3313 PO Chrono and I will admit the Orange is not for everyone. I happen to love it and it goes with my lifestyle.

At the end of the day it is your watch and you have to decide if you are going to get use out of it, or not. The watch sizing might be annoying to you, or it could be simple buyers remorse. In my opinion you have a great watch that is in many ways the Signature Omega sold today, or at least top 4.

jumpingsecond and OMGRLX like this.
  11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 19, 2016

COSC spec isn't good enough? I wish my watches kept this good of time.

12. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2016

Man, if I had a quarter for every one of these threads I've seen over the years......

...... I might have enough to buy a Benrus Calendar or Hamilton Storm King. :p

There should be an informational class on mechanical watches given by the AD, followed by a quiz, before anyone should be allowed to buy one.

soviet64, Aha42, Kmart and 11 others like this.
  13. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 19, 2016

I wear vintage so if it reads 9am when I get to work and 5 pm when I leave I am happy ... I had a po and liked it very much... Sit back and enjoy... To me the not fitting on your wrist would be more bothering to me than accuracy ... I don't know why manufactures don t make bracelets more like the tudor Pelagos ... Titanium and spring clasp equals comfy

14. RLC Feb 19, 2016

I'm happy....:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 Meter, Co-Axial GMT 41mm. 2535.80.00
    7/01/15
    +4s/d 330* 0.0ms dial up
    +3 334* 0.0ms stm rt
    12/19/15
    +3s/d 347* 0.0ms dial up
    +3/sd 346* 0.0ms stm rt

Bob

___

Edited Feb 19, 2016
    OMGRLX likes this.
  15. Superdoc Feb 19, 2016

I suggest you quickly buy several more Automatic watches.... Wear a single model, at most 2 days consecutively.
    You'll find that you never have an accuracy issue again...

Kmart, nixf6, nurseford25 and 12 others like this.
  16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 19, 2016

Lol, exactly! I never wear one watch for more than 3 days.

dc_in_sf likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2016

This ^ exactly.

Incidentally the half link too big / too small issue is fixable a few ways, the most elegant is to replace one of the full links with two half links which are larger than one full link. So if its too tight with the half link out, buy an additional half and remove one of the full links before replacing it with two half links.

18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 19, 2016

Same watch for 14 days, this is the problem. Like others have said, buy a few more watches.

watch3s, nlogax and Garv like this.
  19. Moswissa Feb 19, 2016

Wow thanks for all the advice guys, this forum is very active!

I feel much better and confident that my PO is performing as it should. I'm always paranoid especially on a watch that was so expensive my wife literally flipped.

Excuse my ignorance about mechanical watches, I know it's no Quartz but I been spending a lot of time reading forums where people are getting very good accuracy with the 8500 movement. I know my watch is within spec but don't you guys think I can have it slightly tuned down so it won't run this fast? I'll ask omega tomorrow but what do you guys think?

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2016

Just NY 2 cents and someone may have said this as I admit I have had half a bottle of champagne and 1 of wine ( with my wife not alone) so I haven't read through it.

99% OF PEOPLE CLAIMING +1 OR PERFECT TIME HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THE ARE TALKING ABOUT, and most often pull that figure from their ass because that's what they want to project.

As an aside, if you need 100% accuracy at all times then a mechanical watch is not for you and a digital one is a better choice. I don't mean this as an obnoxious attack, it is simply that hand wound and automatic watches have never been atomic time watches. Very few people and professions require " to the second" time accuracy, and those that do ( let's say you're a navy seal coordinating an operation with 6 other units including detonation) know very well hot to get it and from where... Like a good old g shock.

Yes, you should be able to tune it ( regulate it) to make it slightly better. It's an easy adjustment that a watchmaker will take all of 20 seconds to perform... Or maybe a minute which on your watch will be about 58 seconds :)

As for the watch running fast that is healthier than slow since A/ it will get better with time and B/ it's very easy to reset weekly by just lifting the crown for a few seconds.

Lastly. If you're not happy with it and you can still return it do it and do it fast. Experience tells me you will not get more fond of it with time but rather less, and by then it will be too late.

Edited Feb 20, 2016
    kkt, SpeedTar, Syrte and 5 others like this.