Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

My grandfathers.

This spring I am celebrating ten years as a watch nerd. But even before that I was interested in design and everything vintage. Yesterday, when visiting my mother, I looked thru some old photo albums and I found some watch-related pictures.

My paternal grandfather was a cabinetmaker and fine carpenter. He made interiors, furniture and such. His everyday watch was an old Atlantic. They were swiss made and/but sold mostly thru mailorder I believe. Here is a picture of him in his workshop (kept and used long after his retirement). The picture has bearing on clocks also as you can see. A naval touch and made in oak - I have one of them. If I remember right the clock is a Eterna - but I am not sure. You can see the Atlantic on his wrist - on a Fixoflex bracelet.

[​IMG]

I got his Atlantic in the 90-ies and used it a lot. Here is a pic of me and the watch - me a lot younger than today and with hair...

[​IMG]

And here it is - my grandfathers watch. The only thing that makes it a little special is the power reserve indicator. I have not opened it but I believe the movement is a AS 1382. And I might have been an early patina-guy when wearing it over twenty years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes - the goo is mine and over twenty years old. I did not think about it much then... Today I am a clean watch guy.

Edited Apr 9, 2016
    Syrte, cicindela, bristnj and 20 others like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 9, 2016

Fascinating, Stygg. Now that you've shared a little about your pops and grand-pops, it's apparent you come from very good stock. Congrats on 10-years of watch-nerdiness!

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2016

Wow, 10 years til you retire and 10 years collecting watches. You're the Decade Dude of the Week!

styggpyggeno1 and aap like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2016

It took a couple of good looks at the first picture to see the watch... I kept staring at those captains wheel contraptions, and thinking "that's not a watch, he's having us on!"

Very cool to see a genuine family owned time piece staying in the family. :)

5. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 10, 2016

Nice to have an heirloom that is so cool

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 10, 2016

Thanks for sharing this, Styg. That's a cool 'Atlantic' :thumbsup:..

I think I'm a first generation watch nerd in my family, but I do have a nephew who seems to need minimal stoking, so that's a good thing!

BTW, is it really goo, or 'Cheese' :eek:!!

Edited Apr 10, 2016
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 10, 2016

At least he's got a good chance of getting a real watch from he's uncle. ;)

styggpyggeno1 and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 10, 2016

Man! I want an Atlantic now!

Thanks for sharing that story. One theme I keep reading over and over in these forums is the 'heritage' aspects of watches.

9. aap Apr 12, 2016

Great story man!

10. ConElPueblo Apr 12, 2016

I haven't got any of my uncles' watches (one is still alive and kicking, the other passed down his watch to his son - which is fair ;) ), but I'll do a post on them at some time. They couldn't be more different; one is a gorgeous Seamaster bumper, and the other is a fake Rolex Datejust. A true uncle's watch ::facepalm2::