Forums Latest Members
  1. Skålis Feb 9, 2019

IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1513.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1515.JPG I'm a new member in this forum. We have a dusty box. I'll share the inside with You.
    Which inventors and mechanics!

Als 27, D.D., Spacefruit and 5 others like this.
  2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Feb 9, 2019

Wieland gets a brief mention in Mercer's Chronometer Makers of the World, with dates, 1842-72 at 12 Warkworth Terrace, Commercial Road; 1876 at 699 Commercial Road East. Mercer notes #800 as a 'known' example with the indication that it is post 1879.

Wieland is not very well known. He sought a British Patent in 1858 , No. 2386; " Certain improvements in chronometers, watches, and such like timekeepers" - relating to an unsplit compensating balance rim.

You may be interested to know that in 1951 a Wieland chronometer was advertised for sale for £10!

I may look further into Wieland - he could be interesting, with a possible watchmaking grandfather or great-grandfather, John, who died in 1804.

https://theoldwatchword.blogspot.com/

3. Skålis Feb 9, 2019

Thanks for this information, we open this box and look on it, twice a year. It soo nice and "handmade". Outside the wooden box it's written " S/S Victorias transport" on a paperlabel.

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Feb 9, 2019

Glad to help. It's good to see a Marine Chronometer not over-restored - yours appears to be in good, original condition. I hope you are able to observe it running, not just look at it!

Also hoping you'll enjoy all the many good aspects of the Omega Forum - I certainly do.

5. Skålis Feb 9, 2019

I become a member yesterday and i love this forum, everybody are so kind and helpful. Thanks for your information you are so kind and professional.
    We got the chronometer from my wifes mother when she died around 2000. Since that we have it in a kabinett. We have never tried to start it, we don't know how to
    Wensday this week a tried to clean my garage and found a box. It was so close that i trow the box away. Luckely i opend the box and found a Omega Speedmaster professional with a "base 1000" bezel.
    It's from my father, he was the first owner. Now i have to investegate more about this watch

Thanks again, have a nice evening!

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 9, 2019

Skålis likes this.
  7. nttisch23 Feb 11, 2019

What are the dimensions of this?

8. Skålis Feb 12, 2019

Mått.jpg dimensions in mm.