Forums Latest Members
  1. jsaen Sep 30, 2015

So I've found a NOS version of a watch I've been looking for. I'm wear every watch that I buy, so is it worth it for me to buy a NOS watch? I'm going to scratch it in about 7.8 seconds after I put it on my wrist.

Anybody regret buying a NOS watch that they've worn, or been happy with the decision?

2. Pvt-Public Sep 30, 2015

Well, if nothing else you can take solace in the fact that any scratches that get put on the watch, you put them there, not some nameless/faceless previous owner.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. abrod520 Sep 30, 2015

I'd say NOS is fine, though I wouldn't wear it if it had caseback stickers or any wrapping on it etc.
    Still, if it's a museum-quality piece (both in condition and in heritage) I'd probably leave it for the next guy to stash in his safe. I believe every watch should be worn, but hell if I'm gonna be the guy to de-NOS-itize an important old watch ;)

marturx likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 30, 2015

If there is a price difference, and you're going to wear it... just say no to NOS.

5. Andreas Sep 30, 2015

For me it depends on the price difference between the nos and a pre owned.
    if money is not an issue go for the nos and enjoy it

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 30, 2015

I recently upgraded from a beater grade to a 'nice' grade.. not NOS, but much nicer than the one I had. Not a scratch on it and a lovely dial.

It has changed my wearing habits a bit. I used to care not much about it, but now i wear it carefully... but I bought it to wear, so, wear it I do.

I had a Speedyorite too, but for me, modern watches - especially LE models - have to be kept pristine to retain their value. The smallest blemish devalues the watch considerably. So I won't be buying another modern LE. I doubt I would buy (real) NOS either.

7. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 30, 2015

I have ending up selling, more or less, every NOS watch I have owned.
    Since I wear my watches I can not justify having safe-queens.
    NOS watches makes me scared as H.ll!

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. Rman Sep 30, 2015

I wear two of my NOS pieces, if anyone is going to wear them why not me? Yes, they get treated more precious and don't do action sports.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2015

Except once it's worn it's no longer NOS, that's the premium your paying for, something unworn

citizenrich and SpikiSpikester like this.
  10. GaryUFM Sep 30, 2015

NOS? Trying to think of a phrase to fit the letters meaning unworn...but stumped. (I am very tired!)

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 30, 2015

New Old Stock

12. GaryUFM Sep 30, 2015

I thank you!:)

13. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 30, 2015

If you are unafraid to strap on said nos watch on your wrist then more power to you, but it is otherwise not worth it. Ultimately, a wristwatch is not complete until it's on a wrist. I would rather search for watches that are in worn but excellent condition.

I should mention that one of the pitfalls of buying an nos watch is that most of them aren't nos. The terms "nos", "mint", and "unpolished" are used way too liberally these days.

SpikiSpikester and Archer like this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 30, 2015

Agree 100% and have done the same.

15. abrod520 Sep 30, 2015

Nitrous Oxide Systems
    [​IMG]

They made the absolute most attractive watches in the 1960s.

Northernman and novina like this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 30, 2015

I bought my RG Homage1894 NOS from an estate liquidator in Italy. I bought an alligator strap and modern RG color Omega tang buckle. Thus I never wore the original alligator strap and 18kt. buckle. Someone offered me a deal I couldn't refuse and I sold it as LNIB, and it really was LNIB, no hits, no runs, no errors :)

abrod520 and Northernman like this.
  17. wsfarrell Sep 30, 2015

I get the impression that people who refuse to wear an NOS watch have in the back of their mind the notion that they'll be selling it some day. I wear everything I buy, and I relish the thought of being the first to wear an interesting vintage watch. If I do decide to sell it at some point I'll take a hit. So what?

VetPsychWars likes this.
  18. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 30, 2015

Has nothing to do with money in my case. Just getting jumpy by the idea of damaging museum material.
    Whatever I buy I can afford to loose.
    This is not the stock exchange.

19. abrod520 Sep 30, 2015

Seconded - plus, tastes change too, nothing really wrong with that :)

Northernman likes this.
  20. devnull Sep 30, 2015

This is certainly something that depends on the situation.

- I like all sorts of vintage things. Often the cost of the vintage item is just about the same as the cost of a new one. For instance on bikes I would happily pay good money for a brand new Shimano 7800 group set, and wear the living crap out of it and then toss it when it gets worn out.

- I bought an already vintage Merlin Extralight titanium frame in like-new condition. I put 5,000 miles on that frame but I always treated it like a newborn baby. Years later I sold it in the same like-new condition I bought it.

And of course I have the vintage watches like the one pictured on my avatar that I take off to wash my hands and put on my pocket if I'm about to do anything that could harm it.