Forums Latest Members

Northern Cali trip Recommendations Please - FOLLOWED UP

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 9, 2017

Hello everyone!

I know we have a few members living in the San Francisco area. I am going to be out that way at the end of the month for vacation and we are looking for recommendations on anything and everything (food, wine, watches, hikes, museums... you name it)

We will be flying into Oakland, driving up to Mendocino and working our way back south towards San Francisco. Stops have already been planned in Trinidad and Napa along the way down. We are a group of 10 but everyone is adventurous and willing to try almost anything.

Thanks in advance for any comments/recommendations,

Jake

ffej4 likes this.
  2. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 9, 2017

Food: Chez Panisse in Berkeley: http://www.chezpanisse.com/contact/information/ We've only ever been for lunch in the cafe and each time has been a remarkable experience. Cannot recommend highly enough! You'll need reservations, with lunch being far easier to book.

Watches (retail): Shreve & Co. in San Francisco, 150 Post Street: http://www.shreve.com/watches/ Bring a hat to contain the bits that fly when your mind is blown. Want to see a double-wide displays of Patek, Lange, Vacheron, JLC and others? This is the place.

Jwit likes this.
  3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 9, 2017

Well you gotta get some Redwood time... Muir Woods is easy and unforgettable. Grab breakfast at Kitchen Sunnyside in Mill Valley... recommend the Eggs Benedict with Dungeness crab.

Jwit likes this.
  4. pwmegs Feb 9, 2017

On the way back down to SF stop by Point Reyes; Elk reserve, light house. Point Reyes station ( small cool little town). Muir Beach is beautiful. Muir Woods hikes are nice and pretty easy.

SF museums- New MOMA is great, Academy of Science is a cool spot ( rain forrest, aqarium- more for kids). If you have kids, must hit Exploritorium in SF near Ferry Building, grab lunch at Ferry Building.

Spa's Cavallo point in Sausolito has great views, mellow spot then have dinner at Sushi Ran in Sausalito.

Tons of Restaurants in SF and Oakland. Oakland is having a resurgence in food and culture as SF is getting to expensive. Oakland- Pizzialoa, Swans Market, Miss Ollies, Camino, Commis, Ramen shop, Zackarys pizza, Wood Tavern, Boot and Shoe Service, just to name a few.

Watches- HQ Milton for anything Vintage (https://www.hqmilton.com) - Rolex and Omega ( make an appointment to come in, it's looks to be in a shady area, above a pawn shop but it is amazing. Great guys, great service, amazing watches.

Cheers.

Jwit likes this.
  5. Kmart Feb 9, 2017

What a timely thread @Jwit - I'm taking a short trip to SF at the end of the month as well! 1 day each in Oakland, Berkley, and SF most likely, meeting up with a few friends. Great recommendations so far.

Jwit likes this.
  6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 10, 2017

@marcnorth I've already informed my family I will be spending a significant amount of time drooling at Shreve & Co. I hope they have a mop ready when I get there. ;)

@MMMD We are doing some trails on horseback up in the Redwoods. Not sure if it's Muir Woods or not.... I'll try to make it over to Kitchen Sunnyside

@pwmegs MOMA is in the list, and I'll definitely push for the Academy of Science (nerd problems). No kids on this trip(thankfully). I'm the youngest at 22.:whistling:
    Does HQ Milton carry items in store that wouldn't be on their site? If timing pans out I might give them a call to stop by and check it out(even though I probably won't be able to afford most of their stock)

@Kmart who knows maybe we will cross paths:cool:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! If anyone has any others they are certainly welcome. I'll update this post with what we end up doing after the trip. :thumbsup:

marcn likes this.
  7. pwmegs Feb 10, 2017

Have a great trip. HQ Milton has other inventory that is not on the site. They are a very friendly, not pushy group. You can give them a call and ask if they have what your looking for. I bought a good condition 145.022 70 Speedy pre moon that was not on the site. I looked at tons of watches before I decided.

Good Luck

Jwit likes this.
  8. aesguerra Feb 10, 2017

Does your group want to see SF from the AIR? It'd have to be multiple trips, but if you're all walking to chip in, I could easily take interested members (up to three at a time) up for some aerial tours so you can see our fine city from a couple thousand feet up.

Let me know if that's your cup of tea.

Alex
    San Mateo, CA.

Edited Feb 11, 2017
    Jwit and oddboy like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 10, 2017

MOMA is worth a visit.

Union St is also good for dinner and a hang. Though maybe on the tourist map.

Jwit likes this.
  10. trama Feb 11, 2017

Great recommendations so far. I'm taking notes! As always, I suggest nothing in particular, a good group with a great attitude always does well around here. However, that said, if you find yourself north of Napa, and tired of the fancy schmancy wineries, stop in at Casa Nuestra in St Helena, it's old school pre euro buyout style. Take a break, feed the goats.

Jwit likes this.
  11. gttime Feb 11, 2017

Ha I live here and haven't done half the things listed. Glad I read this thread.

Napa is amazing, in San Francisco if you like Tequila head down to Tommy's or even Tres Agaves near AT&T Park nothing like a few Margaritas in the City.

There is a Tourbillon near Shreve and Co in SF. Nice guys there.

If you are on the Penninsula near the SFO airport stop by Toppers Jewlers in Burlingame and ask for Rob. He's going to be your best bet if you actually plan on buying anything, lot of nice shopping there too.

Jwit likes this.
  12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 16, 2017

Awesome suggestions guys, thanks!

@aesguerra I'll PM you

I confused myself of the logistics but and we are actually going to be heading all the way up to Trinidad too. Unfortunately the weather looks a bit moist for a majority of the trip.

13. jzzmusician Feb 16, 2017

Fred's Coffee Shop in Sausalito. Go there and you'll get down on your knees and thank the food gods.

I was on an 8 day motorcycle ride a couple of years ago with two friends, one of whom is married to the best home chef I've ever encountered. I was in the restaurant business 15 years and am a food junkie.

We rolled into Fred's for breakfast on a foggy morning prior to catching a glimpse of the bridge. I ordered my standard road fare; scrambled eggs, bacon and rye toast. My friend did the same, omelet with stuff, bacon and rye toast. Oh yeah, we all got hash browns.

The food came, I got into my eggs and said to Mike, "These eggs are perfect." Mike responded with, "I don't think I've ever heard you say 'perfect' with regards to food." Then he grabbed a fork full of his omelet. "Wow. Wow. Oh wow."

Kind of a funky place with communal tables. You won't be disappointed.

Bob

Freds - 1917 Bridgeway, Sausalito 415-332-4575

Trip Advisor linky: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...e_Shop-Sausalito_Marin_County_California.html

Jwit likes this.
  14. West Slope Feb 16, 2017

Hit the Samoa Dunes Cookhouse if you are headed as far north as Trinidad.

Jwit likes this.
  15. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 19, 2017

Went to switch to my hummer(only dressy watch I brought) to find it stopped humming ::censored:::whipped:::rant::mad:

Good thing I planned on probably buying a watch somewhere along the way... at least I know it will be a dress watch now:whistling:

16. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 26, 2017

Follow up from trip.

A. My liver hurts.
    B. Wow the views.
    C. Pictures tell the best stories right?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. With a large group like that it was hard to please everyone. But we had a blast, ate phenomenal food and drank even better wine. Definitely will be going back with a smaller group in the future. Here are pics from a lot of stuff. Featuring myself & my girlfriend... Horseback riding in Mendocino, hike through the Redwoods, a bunch of wineries, miscellaneous wrist shots, random exploring, road blocked by a landslide, more watches, a cool maritime clock in a random bar on the avenue of the giants.

The only thing I was unhappy with with my visit to Shreve & Co. I was very excited to go (and my mind was totally blown by what they had) but I felt that they completely disregarded me as a customer almost immediately. I understand that I am young compared to most of their customers but it just felt rude. So I walked around and took pictures of things I can't see at home. That JLC Meteorite dial looks so incredible in person, and I was blown away by A. Lange & Patek (as I expected to be). There is something so different about seeing them in person. It's unfortunate for them that I was disregarded because it's just a future loss for them:whistling:

IMG_0925.JPG IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0980.JPG A8308E73-BB9D-4FB5-B923-FAF6FD4C2DFF.jpg IMG_0988.JPG 46D8D2B3-5AA9-414F-8C0F-5C466F859B2B.jpg IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1043.JPG 72DD8D08-76BB-4E17-8223-632AF5181A8B.jpg IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1070.JPG BB5429C4-E43C-47CA-87DD-F0604C4E0F1A.jpg IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1102.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1116.JPG IMG_1119.JPG 34851857-5C90-41AA-9905-38E79D01A257.jpg 9EE00A73-9396-442B-96FB-AF2D23D4C242.jpg IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1146.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1164.JPG 307946CB-BA3E-4427-838E-FF2398C95E74.jpg 9BD16FCA-F882-470A-B279-A408EC452DAF.jpg D0BF5F3C-7CD4-4C94-8DC5-8F6EFAC3D67D.jpg IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1354.JPG IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1367.JPG
  17. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 26, 2017

I'd been wondering how things went. Fantastic photos, btw!

As to Shreve... well that's a huge bummer to hear, as I've had an excellent experience with them and will almost certainly go back for another purchase after Basel. I think it's the kind of place that works best by arranging your visit in advance, letting them know what brands you're interested in, etc. I have to assume they have a TON of watch pilgrams and curious tourists passing through. I had a 2 week+ email exchange with a guy in their watch department, and when I arrived on a date we'd pre-arranged, he was basically waiting for me at that sitting area in the center of the store -- which was a bit unnerving but a pretty cool first impression at the same time. The whole experience of buying from them was 100% high-touch, through and through. Kind of spoiled me, to be honest!

Hey, when you land some insane piece that they carry, tag them on instagram. ;)

ahartfie and Jwit like this.
  18. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 26, 2017

I think it was a case of "judging a book by its cover". Aka the 22 y/o kid wearing boots, jeans, a vineyard vines sweater, and a beanie. Oh well... I could have emailed them or arranged a visit but I did not feel comfortable doing that knowing 110% that I would not be buying anything from them. I simply wanted to see the shiny stuff. We only have Omega, Rolex and Breitling ADs in Buffalo. No boutiques or anything crazy. I think one jeweler carries Nomos too.

ahartfie likes this.
  19. Kmart Feb 26, 2017

Great stuff @Jwit! I'm SF-bound on Thursday actually, super excited. Shame about Shreve&Co but at least now I know not to waste my (limited) time out there on them. I can't say I'm surprised to be honest, I'm sure they're a top notch jeweler but places like that usually tend to disregard me as well and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth -- no matter how nice the watches are. That's the plight of being a 22 year old collector I suppose... :unsure:

Jwit likes this.
  20. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Feb 26, 2017

Great pics and it looks like it was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

You're right about that JLC. Wow!

Jwit likes this.