Forums Latest Members

Norman Snubbed by a Swiss Watch Company ;)

1. HogWldFLTR Sep 4, 2012

If this already in discussion excuse me; glad I'm an Omega owner:

http://www.sportlive.co.za/golf/2012/09/02/norman-snubbed-by-rolex

Norman, currently an ambassador for Swiss watchmaker Omega, is finding out that rival sponsor Rolex has little time for him.
    The Australian was at Gleneagles on Monday to host a Johnnie Walker-sponsored clinic prior to making his way to Switzerland for this week's European Masters, but when rain prevented the clinic from going ahead he figured he'd head to the press room and watch Jose Maria Olazabal announce his two wild card picks for the European Ryder Cup team - of which Rolex is one of five sponsors.
    The Omega man was told, however, that he was not welcome at the press conference.
    "It's a long story but Rolex just wouldn't allow me to be present in the room," Norman told the Associated Press.
    "What was annoying is that Jose Maria and I have been mates for 30 years, and besides he later came up to me to apologise for what happened.
    "He just wanted me to know that it wasn't him who didn't want me in the press conference.
    "Of course, I was in Scotland for Johnnie Walker and they're one of the Ryder Cup and Tour sponsors, so it's a deep and ugly story."
    It's not the first time Norman has found himself at odds with the watchmaker. He was also told he was not welcome to participate in the British Senior Open Pro-Am, and this at the course where he won the 1986 Open Championship.
    Incidentally, the official name of the tournament is now 'The Senior Open presented by Rolex'.
    Norman was reluctant to go into any depth, but said: "It would be too much energy to go into it but Rolex actually had me removed from the Pro-Am, so that's when it all started," he said.
    "I'm disgusted by it all and it's never ever happened before in my entire life."

2. ulackfocus Sep 4, 2012

What a snitty and small minded thing to do. Rolex is really petty.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

For what its worth, in watching the golfing short-segments presented on CNN called "Living Golf", they frequently show golfers like Tiger Woods and so on, they did a short on Tiger that lasted about 5 minutes covering his whole career, and as he's sitting down talking, he's wearing a Rolex so its all good.

However in the intro he's taking swings in bunkers, off tees and so on over years if his career wearing TAG Heuer for a lot of it, and instead of just letting that stand, they pixelated his wrist... not kidding. Giant pixelated blur following his wrist while he's swinging

4. HogWldFLTR Sep 4, 2012

Personally I can understand him being banned from a press conference but not from a tournament. Even the press conference is pretty suspect from my perspective. Seems like banning him from playing in their tournament is a real sign of weakness. The truth from my perspective is that Rolex price tag is tied more to image than value, not sure I ever want to buy into that image. I might add that I'd been looking for a Rolex but this information cured me.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 4, 2012

Just one more reason I would never own a modern Rolex.

6. rbird7282 Sep 4, 2012

I don't even understand why he would be banned from a press conference. He was one of the best golfers to ever play the game and is still a very successful businessman. (both in and out of the world of golf) Rolex should be ashamed of themselves, but of course that won't happen. Just another reason I can't f*#@^ng stand them.