Forums Latest Members
  1. Markus Wo Jun 22, 2018

Greetings everyone,

I was posting this question already in another thread however it may have been too hidden so I try this one again here:

I am wondering if there is a way to find out more about the history of a watch being imported to the USA by Norman Morris? Is there still a kind of an archive existing? In particular I'm looking for the information regarding my Speedmaster.
    Does anybody know how many of these Speedmasters have been imported to the USA by Norman Morris in the years
    All your information is highly appreciated.

Thank you
    Markus

2. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 22, 2018

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2018

I think Omega can answer all of your questions except the one above.

Norman Morris Co. was active until the early 1980’s. Unfortunately, when Omega bought them out, no one thought to save those records.
    gatorcpa

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  4. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 22, 2018

where did u get this info ?

you have the counter part record info from omegas point of view but in the end it's the same

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2018

Experience. And this:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/11/...watch-seller-and-foundation-president-99.html

You have to understand that back in the 1950’s customs duties were significant on Swiss watches. So many companies enlisted US partners to import movements only and take care of the casing and timing prior to sale to a retailer.

Norman Morris was one of those US importers. I’m sure they had records at one time, but once Omega took back the business, there would not have been any need to keep them.

Omega has no interest keeping records after the watch was sold to an importer. If warranty service was needed, it was handled locally.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 22, 2018

I suggest u check the article about how the onega archives work at Fratello site and u will see that its different than u think....

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 22, 2018

Here is the article to which you refer:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omegas-extract-of-the-archives-how-it-works/

Life is easier when you give full information.

Since @Robert-Jan is a member here, hopefully he will see this and respond.

Omega had records by models exported to individual countries at one time for marketing purposes, but will only issue extracts from individual watches. It seems that the cost of cross-referencing all this information by model and country would be quite prohibitive.

For many Omega watches, but not Speedmasters, only the movement was exported to the US.
    gatorcpa

Vintagewtchzilla and chronoboy64 like this.
  8. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 23, 2018

correct and all i said the info is still there but would be a huge amount of work to answer this question (how many omegas in total), which also makes no sense.
    we should be happy that they offer individual extracts

9. Markus Wo Jun 25, 2018

Thank you for your answer and hint to the archives. My point is, that I have already tried to get the extract but was unfortunately refused. I know however that my particular watch was sent and sold in the US. I'm wondering to find out more here, but it seems to be almost impossible. Very sad.....

Vintagewtchzilla likes this.
  10. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 25, 2018

sad to hear but then i see 0 chance to find out more about it .... as u wear the watch on your wrist and not the archive, enjoy it and waer the hell out of it :thumbsup:

11. gdupree Jun 25, 2018

Did they mention why it was refused? How do you know that it was sent and sold in the US? The most frequent cause for refusal is due to the serial number provided not matching the reference provided.

For instance, if you're looking for a Speedmaster from 1963-65, then I assume the reference you submitted was a 105.003 or 105.012 of some sort, along with the serial number of the cal. 321 inside of it. But the cal 321 was also used in Seamaster chronographs. So, if the serial that you submitted originally belonged in a Seamaster, but you submitted a Speedmaster reference, they would come back to you and say that nothing could be found - not because there isn't archived information for your movement, but because there is no such speedmaster matching your movement serial. In these situations, the issue is because the movement in question did not originally belong to that watch.

12. Vintagewtchzilla Jun 25, 2018

thas't the possible reason

he know cuz the movement is stamped with OXG which is the US import stamp for omega

Markus Wo likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 25, 2018

Even though the movement is marked as a US export model, under normal circumstances, Omega should be able to get the archived information on cal. 321 Speedmasters and Seamasters, as those chronographs were cased in Switzerland and shipped here as complete watches.

I’m with @gdupree on this, there must have been a movement swap at some point which never made it back to the Omega archives. This can sometimes happen with warranty repairs, as larger jewelers kept an inventory of spare movements for that purpose.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  14. Markus Wo Jun 26, 2018

Thank you! This is a very interesting point indeed. So if I would ask for the serial by itself they may tell me where it was installed originally? would that work?
    I'll give it a try.....

Edited Jun 26, 2018
  15. gdupree Jun 26, 2018

I believe you are going to have to give a reference number, to my knowledge. I don't think they will look one up without it.

I don't have much personal experience in this so others will be able to advise better, but from what I have read the cal 321 was most commonly used in Seamaster chronographs (aside from the Speedmaster, obviously). I'm not sure what Seamaster reference number would be most appropriate - perhaps something like a 105.001, which I believe was somewhere around 1964. You will probably have to share the first 3-4 digits of your serial number for us to have an idea of the right date range.

16. georgeszaslavsky Aug 20, 2022