Forums Latest Members

Normal for Seamaster Pro 600M to show Oxidation???

1. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

Around the serial number on the underside and the Omega logo on the clasp? I was in salt water and pool water in Mexico for about 7 days and did not clean...when I used warm soap and water and a rotating toothbrush, it came right off...

Seems like a dive watch would not show oxidation like that after its first use...everything else looks like brand new after i cleaned it...

Thanks in advance.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2012

Can you post pictures?

3. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

thanks for the reply...

well - it looks brand new again aside for normal scratches...what are you looking for specifically? if i posted a picture it would look like nothing was changed, and i don't think i could post a pic that would show anything...not trying to be difficult, just maybe if you could tell me what you are looking for, i could focus in on that....do you know if this oxidation is normal?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2012

I'm trying to figure out what watch you're talking about, is it a Planet Ocean or a Ploprof?

5. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

Ahh...Planet Ocean..again, thanks

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2012

Ok the serial number shouldn't come off from salt water or soap, are you sure its definitely a legitimate watch? Was it from an authorised Omega dealer

7. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2012

Stainless steel will absolutely show tarnish and oxidation from salt water if it isn't rinsed with clean water. Nothing to worry about, just remember to take care of your watch next time you use it in the ocean.

8. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

No...serial number did not come off, i just noticed it had some signs of "rust" right around serial number that came off with the soap and water (it could have been accumulated minerals in those tiny grooves)...the serial number is still there with grooves etc...i did not buy from authorized dealer, but from a company that assured me it was real and would replace if not authentic...yes, not ideal, but it was a good deal although it was not cheap...i was wanting to know if anyone had experienced this after using the watch in salt water...and i used it in salt water for 7-8 days without cleaning...again, thanks for your time and answers.

9. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

thanks - this was my first experience with this watch in the ocean - i was thinking that the only aspects of watch that had any oxidation were where there was the serial number that had already "scratched" the stainless surface from the manufacturer...all other smooth pieces of watch had no signs of anything...again, and as you have said...once cleaned with fresh water, it looks basically like it came out of the beautiful red box

10. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2012

You are correct - the nooks and crannies will oxidize more noticeably since water can pool there instead of running off.

11. GEAUXtigers Aug 29, 2012

Thanks - plus, the serial number was trapped against my wrist, so this is making more and more sense...

my favorite Arnold quote is.."you lack discipline"! ha - love your handle

12. NJexit14a Aug 31, 2012

I have the same issue on my Seamaster Pro Chrono 2225.80. It's amazing if you use a 10 x loupe and look at your watch. I have tge same issue with tge serial number looking somewhat corroded. Maybe a toothbrush with some toothpaste may clean it?

13. GEAUXtigers Aug 31, 2012

I used warm-hot water with some liquid dish soap and a cheap rotating toothbrush with a fresh head to clean mine...it took off all signs of corrosion...i repeated the process a couple times and the watch is shining like new with no signs of anything...i want to know how to oil the mesh band...i have the woven mesh band on mine

14. NJexit14a Aug 31, 2012

Isn't funny just knowing the "funk" is there bothers us? :)

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2012

Wrist snot is a more technical term

16. NJexit14a Aug 31, 2012

I can think of several others that may apply, but won't go down that road.

17. NJexit14a Aug 31, 2012

Don't just loud or do there. Look at the case back. Could be something lurking there also.