Forums Latest Members
  1. bewesy Nov 9, 2011

Hi all,

I have been looking for a Geneve Dynamic for around a year now and have excitedly finally bitten the bullet and made a purchase. During the time I was searching I came across several posts on this forum and you all seem like a friendly/knowledgable bunch, so I thought Id direct my query here.

Im not new to watches - I have a number already - but I am new to the high-end/vintage scene and am just wanting a second opinion on this.

From what I have read, and I can see, the fonts are all spot on and the colour scheme is correct, but there doesnt seem to be any luminessence on the hands/hour markers, and from what Ive read, they all had luminous hands/markers?

The dial is in incredible condition which leads me to believe has been refinished. Am i correct? Not always a bad thing though...

The main question is, when you shake the watch, you can hear the faint buzz of the winding mechanism, as you would if you wound it from the crown, but also hear/feel a faint rattle. I cant seem to see the movement moving so could it be a loose rotor? Theres no scraping sounds which would indictate it touching the casing. What do you think? Ive never owned a vintage or automatic so really dont know what to expect.

I would probably rather send it back then take it to a jewellers and face a few hundred quid bill on a watch that is new to me.

Other than that it keeps excellent time and seems to have decent power.

Your help/advice would be much appreciated, and apologies if I appear so ignorant on the subject.

Cheers
    Andy

photo2.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2011

No lume from that era will still glow since its Tritium, which goes dark with age. As for the rest, there are more qualified people, but I think it looks pretty cool.

3. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2011

What little I do know about that model is that many of the dials are refinished. If that one is redialed, it's a very good job. Lume wouldn't really glow much at all if it's 40 years old anyway.

You should always add $100 - $200 to the price of any vintage watch for servicing costs. It's safe to say that the watch will need a proper cleaning, lubing, and adjustment even if the seller states "serviced" in their sales listing. That's part of the game.

Nice looking watch. What's inside - a 563?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2011

You know I'll just say something these Omega Geneve Dynamic autos have aged well in terms of styling, they were funky and unique in their era, and in 2011 its still a funky modern kind of piece. You couple that to the mid-500 series Omega movement and you've got a watch that has a solid in-house movement, a good design, and available parts. I'd take one of these over any entry level TAG Heuer F1 or similar entry level Swiss watch in this price category. For a watch purely to be worn, collecting aside, these are just damn good value.

5. bewesy Nov 9, 2011

Thanks - in actual fact it does glow slightly - close up you can hardly tell the material is not just white paint!

Thanks. I like it too. I guess I should resign myself to spending some money on it. You think its a keeper then? It definately keeps good time...

I made a school boy error and bought it on a whim to be honest because I liked the look of it - the wrong way to buy something.

The seller didnt have any pictures of the movement and I havent got the tool to get in it (from what Ive read its a bit fiddly?) so I cant answer that, although I should be able to!

I love them. People think they are new watches trying to look retro, without realising they are ACTUALLY retro watches. I agree with having one over an entry level...