Forums Latest Members
  1. hcron Dec 10, 2015

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and hope to get some opinion for buying a nice 105.002. Dial and hands were exchanged around 20 years ago. It seems that the bezel ist not the genuine one because it doesn't have the DO90. A quite similiar watch can be found on Chrono 24 for 4.900€.

Here are some pictures. Happy t get your opinions.

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 10, 2015

Keep your money in your wallet and run as far away as possible.

3. naidu Dec 10, 2015

+1

4. Davidt Dec 10, 2015

With regard to value and collectibility, the most important aspects are dial, bezel, movement and case, with the dial generally being the most important.

Unfortunately this particular example has lost the original dial and bezel, so only retains two of the big four and that makes its desirability plummet.

gophishin likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 10, 2015

I'd say those hands are service hands too.

The least they could do is put a non-pro service dial on there... maybe even an artificially aged one.. but yeah, not very desirable in this state.

6. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 10, 2015

Best to start by naming what's correct vs what isn't:

Correct:
    Case is straight lug
    Movement is 321 (assumes correct serial)

Incorrect:
    Literally everything else

I would strongly advise reading every word of Speedmaster101.com if you're wanting to jump into a watch in the price bracket that 105.002's / 2998's currently inhabit.

PatrickJ, JohnSteed and Spacefruit like this.
  7. gophishin Dec 10, 2015

In addition to what the others have already pointed out and for future reference, when you see that many replacement parts, especially blatantly incorrect replacement parts, you start to wonder how slopped together the movement is too. A lot of red flags on this one

PatrickJ and Spacefruit like this.
  8. ping pong patina Dec 10, 2015

run lola run

RawArcher likes this.
  9. blubarb Dec 11, 2015

Run and don't look back...

10. hcron Dec 11, 2015

Thanks for all the good advice. Apart from all the flaws in re to the exchanged parts the price seems to be attractive. It's actually around €2k with warranty from the dealer, an official Omega retailer. I could get a service dial without the "professional" for around €200,-.

11. Georgieboy58 Dec 11, 2015

For this price (and the dial replaced with a more suitable one) you could well consider it as a daily wearer and potential future donor watch.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 11, 2015

€2K is good for case and movement for parts as Georgieboy58 says. Really depends on what you're after.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2015

Well I think it would last 30 seconds on the FS section at that price.

oddboy likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2015

Effectively you're buying a FOIS with a more interesting movement, which is not all that bad when you consider it. If you look at it that way rather than as a vintage 105.002 it becomes more interesting.

oddboy likes this.
  15. hcron Dec 13, 2015

Great feedback, many thanks. Eventually, I bought it and I think it looks great. I like the fact that the case is actually the smaller one which makes it wearable for my better half as well. Well, this may cause some argues in the morning, but at least this justified the purchase. Although, I may go for a second one in order to avoid any discussions :)

As you can see from the pictures the watch comes with silver dauphine hands, without any lume. I'm thinking about replacing the hands with more original look-a-likes. I'm in favour of the dauphines but they are hard to find. Getting original Omega service baton hands for the calibre seems to be much easier.

Any opinion, or maybe anyone who has alpha or dauphine hands for sale?

16. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

Lord have mercy! Look at speedmaster 101, 3 mins of homework would answer your questions.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 13, 2015

There's nothing wrong with a guy asking when he's about to make a purchase of that size

SpikiSpikester and RawArcher like this.
  18. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

::facepalm1::

19. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

I did not say there was anthing wrong and he should ask questions. Lord of mercy is a reaction to a sad state of affairs we are in when such watches are offered for sale. without the purchaser being aware of their condition. All i did was point the guy in the right direction with a bit of homework and from the good fokes on the forum he can find what he is looking for. To be fair I reacted to a bad situation and pointed him in the right direction.

20. PatrickJ Dec 13, 2015

Yes the FOIS and movement is good at the price. However, if we are honest the OP will get frustrated down the road as he will do homework and then realise that getting an original dial to go in that watch and fix all the other aspects to say the least is a long shot. A vintage watch of that quality takes a very long time to find if done correctly. He is better off leaving this one and doing his patient homework to get the correct speedy.