Forums Latest Members

Noob hoarder requests advice on collecting discipline.

1. cvalue13 Sep 12, 2013

All,

In a way, it started years ago with a gifted Omega dive watch, that, at the time, was one of the nicest things I'd ever owned (a modest 2005 Omega Seamaster professional 300).

Then, just a number of weeks ago, I decided that I would like to find a vintage omega dress watch.

Having a bit of experience with vintage picking generally (cars, motorcycles, furniture, denim, etc.), I started my diligence, and was quickly fascinated not only with the number of watches that I wanted on my wrist, but also with the complexity and excitement of vintage watch hunting.

I bought my first vintage Omega just seven weeks ago. Since then, I have amassed:

CK2108, c. 23,4 Naiad Medicus (~1940)
    CK2111, c. 23,4 SC Naiad Medicus (~1940)
    2990-1 , c. 267 Ranchero (~1958)
    168.004 , c. 561 Constellation Cronometre Calendar (~1962)
    198.024, c. 1250 Constellation Chronometer f300Hz (~1974)

and also some Seamaster family watches:

166.020, c. 562 Seamaster De Ville (~1966)
    166.025, c. 1002 Seamaster 120 (SHOM)
    535.007, c. 630 Seamaster 120 (~1966)
    166.0026 , c. 565 Seamaster Cosmic (~1967)
    166.0130 , c. 1012 Seamaster Cosmic 2000 (~1972)
    166.0131 , c. 1022 Seamaster Cosmic 2000 (~1972)
    166.0132 , c. 1012 Seamaster Cosmic 2000 (~1972)
    176.007 , c. 1040 Seamaster Chrono (~1974)
    176.007 , c. 1040 Seamaster Chrono - Gold Plated (~1974)
    176.005 , c. 1040 Seamaster Chrono (~1974)
    145.013 , c. 910 Flightmaster (~1969)
    145.036 , c. 911 Flightmaster (~1973)
    198.002, c. 1255 Speedsonic Chronometer f300Hz (~1974)
    142.022, c. 861 Speedmaster 3590 Panda mod (~1996)

Some of these have been great finds, others decent buys, and a few busts (i.e., noob-tax watches). I list them here almost as a 12-step program of admitting I have a problem in public.

In any event, I need focus (and also probably to sell some watches).

How do the more experienced of you out there focus your actual collecting, rather than consuming? Hit lists? Quotas/limits? When the electricity is shut off for not paying the bills?

Best,
    Cole

Benbradstock and DaveK like this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 12, 2013

:p Paid that tax a few times myself.

Hit list - yes, but most of us call it our Most Wanted, Top 5, Top 10, or some similar list. It's the watches we need to fill glaringly vacant niches. We also have a Target of Opportunity list, which is watches we like and would buy if a decent deal on a nice example popped up. They usually aren't huge desires and sometimes don't even fit in with a theme you're following, but there's no fun if there's no room for variance.

Quotas? ::facepalm2:: Don't say that word again around here man. You could be hung from the nearest yard arm.

Remember that utilities are only important when it gets very hot or very cold. :D Seriously, pay the necessities and play with the left over income. Selling off a few watches you don't want to fund one excellent watch is a way of life in this hobby.

Benbradstock, chronos, sky21 and 3 others like this.
  3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Sep 12, 2013

No rules myself but I wish I can be more disciplined. But we are all weirdos here. Many of us here can wear a watch on each of our fingers (or even toes) and still have leftovers in the watchbox. We are weird that way.

Benbradstock, OMGRLX, LouS and 2 others like this.
  4. cvalue13 Sep 12, 2013

My "Target of Opportunity" list is called "eBay."

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Sherbie Sep 13, 2013

Wow, that is some buying spree!

i guess whats needed now is some degree of contemplation and evaluation: seriously evaluate:
    1) what you have acquired, including overall condition, rarity, user value etc?
    2) what do you like the most and dislike?
    3) are some of these "investments", or have they been purchashed simply to "join the club", or to be "accepted"?
    4) will you wear all or any of these regularly in 1 month, 1 year or 10 years time?
    5) picture yourself in 10 years time - what would your ideal collection look like?
    6) can you afford watch collecting as a hobby, at the current rate, or do you need to put the brakes on somewhat?

one of the most mind- blowing threads i,ve seen was by Dogen - a simply amazing collection of seemingly NOS or nr mint Omega,s, timeframed from 1960-80 essentially. I cant calculate the money invested here, or the time spent acquiring those watches - simply staggering

I certainly have to ask myself some of the above questions, having collected 19 Omega,s and 5 other watch brands ( UG, Tudor etc) in 4 yrs or so.

look for warard to seeing you in the clinic!

cheers, Paul

Benbradstock and cvalue13 like this.
  6. cvalue13 Sep 13, 2013

Thank you for pointing me toward his thread:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/dogens-vintage-omega-collection-hippie-pop-art-era-755688.html

Also, ::censored:: you for pointing me toward his thread. Although I also have a taste for the art deco and some of the 50's dress watches, the theme of his collection runs right through to my interest in Omega's as well. Though, his collection focuses on the 'celebrities' of the time period, and I do think he misses several 'lesser' Omegas from the time period which were equally interesting watches even though targeted toward more of the average Joe (the Dynamic, generally, and the driver configuration in particular, come to mind).

Still, I must say, this picture of one of his collection boxes does make me fear for my own future (or perhaps even deter me from one possible future):

7802436992_95e38aa099_b.jpg

Mark020, Benbradstock, DahMan and 6 others like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 13, 2013

I've seen a number of his watches over at Ernieland.

He has some spectacular items, and mostly in NOS condition.

However, if you wish to remain relatively pecunious, I wouldn't set him up as an example to follow:D

cvalue13 likes this.
  8. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 13, 2013

Hi,

I must be a real freak with an unreasonable accumulation of pre 1950 Omegas....

There are different types of collection. I have defined some criterias for mine : pre 1950 wristwatches, no gold or goldfilled, with Omega made case. I don't collect them for wearing, but because I like watches of this era and ther variety. The ones I wear are in a separate box and category.

Financially speaking those watches are not very expensive (with a very limited couple of exceptions like the marine and a few other ones) and for the price of one speedmaster among the first models, I can buy something like 20 watches that fit in my collection. my interest in collecting is to get as much knowledge as I can, and to try to catch in my collection a comprehensive range of what can be found. And in this regard, price has nothing to do with rarity, it took me more time and effort to find some of the watches I have than it would have taken to find a nice 2915 (armure, pupitre are rather good examples), simply there are less people looking for them.

A couple of rules that I have :
    1) even if I love a watch which does not fit my collection criterias, I will not buy it. Although I had a very limited number of exceptions on this one.
    2) it is a hobby, I don't need in no way any of the watches I am targeting, If I miss it because someone was prepared to pay more, so be it.
    3) I define a budget which I am prepared to pay for the watch I am considering and usually succeed not to exceed it.
    4) I target watches in good condition (especially dial/hands. Calibers can be fixed). I also had some noob tax-watches and sometimes still don't have what I expected, but that's part of the fun (and it always can be upgraded or used for spare parts).

One of my issues is that I can't resell a watch that has entered in my collecion, even if I own another similar in a better condition. In more than ten years of collection, I didn't sell one and traded a very small number. By the way, one of the good aspects with collecting cheap watches is that I don't need to resell some to buy some other ones.

Benbradstock, OMGRLX, Psych and 6 others like this.
  9. SeanO Sep 13, 2013

my 2 cents worth....

if you're in the US of A, join the NAWCC and get along to some of their events. while you might not find what you're looking and most of the crowd are old cranky clock enthusiasts for you'll find yourself in the company of many people who share your enthusiasm and you'll develop contacts that will/may help in the future.

have a quick look through your collection of music and videos. You'll probably find a common thread or philosophy that runs through them. The same with your clothes and your car and everything else about you.

Get along to every retailer event you can find. Pester the local watch shop/boutique to death... you could even buy some stuff from them.

the Dennis rule can be applied. Start at the bottom and work your way up the ladder. buy, admire, turn over. build value and knowledge.

never be afraid to ask a question or poke someone in the ribs.

never be afraid to laugh aloud at yourself for cocking up some mad last minute decision to buy that something or other.

whatever you do, be safe in the knowledge that the forum will continue to help you spend your money no matter what. ;)

nickw likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 13, 2013

Have learnt quick smart from most guys of this Forum is condition condition condition. ( too many to thank in this post)
    Seeing some of the watches shown on here daily I have realized how it is better to have a NOS or perfect piece than three average pieces.

Like these
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/2-watches-the-same-yet-so-different-steel-constellation.7491/

and
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/the-ben-franklin-corollary.7359/

I myself am going more for a classic watch from several brands for now to slow up. This after some thought and the more i learn the more great watch makers i find.

NT931 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 13, 2013

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

What discipline?

OMGRLX, Spacefruit, oddboy and 6 others like this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 13, 2013

Focus

OMGRLX and Psych like this.
  14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 13, 2013

I'd suggest buying all sorts of different things that may not initially catch your eye. I never thought I would like chronos - until I got a speedy pro. I never thought I would like dynamics - until I got one.

Provided te price is right, buy, try and flip if you don't like it.

cvalue13 likes this.
  15. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Sep 13, 2013

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

Two recommendations:

1. Get rid of the Cosmics - as Arnold says those are, ugly mfs :whistling:

2. Just----slow----down.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

I've frequently preached to others to slow down but have yet to listen to my own advice!

cvalue13 and OMGRLX like this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 13, 2013

Yeah, but you've got a really fast car. :p

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 13, 2013

I like the 40 watch box, but then I'd need a bigger safe.

Now I can see a plan forming - bigger safe = more room for watches.

Where can I get a 40 watch box?

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 13, 2013

One way to 'tap on the brakes' is to pose the following question to yourself: "Would I buy this watch if I couldn't post images of it on any forum?"

If the answer is "no", then pass.

timoss, sky21, Lonestar and 2 others like this.