Forums Latest Members

Non-Working Omega Geneve Manual Wind Watch questions

1. PingGolf Oct 5, 2014

I purchased a Omega 1030 Caliber manual Wind Date watch last year and within 3 months I broke it. What I think happened is I overwound the Crown and stem, now it just clicks when I try to wind it. I've gotten a couple estimates for repair and was quoted $300+ depending on the cost of parts. Is that a reasonable price for this type of repair? I've watched a couple repair videos and it blows my mind the number of pieces in a vintage Omega watch. I don't even watch to try to go down that road.

Another question I have is possibly replacing the movement in the case with a working one. I love the dial, it is blue. The question I have about replacing the movement is: Can I fit different movements into the same case such as : 1020, 1022, 1012?

Thanks to anyone and everyone that might be able to provide some helpful information.
    James

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 5, 2014

Let us know where abouts on this big planet you live and someone will recommend a watchmaker near you that is good with Omega,s.

Might be just a minor issue and $5 part so no need to change movements just yet ....

3. Wongo Oct 5, 2014

Most workmakers will refuse flat just to change parts, $300 sounds like overhaul charge, parts are on top of $300 I assume....

4. PingGolf Oct 6, 2014

I live in Orlando, FL. That would be great if I could find a better repair price. Thanks!

5. PingGolf Oct 6, 2014

Also forgot to mention, if there isn't a watch repairman in Orlando, I'd be willing to mail it in reputable business.

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 6, 2014

gatorcpa, Evan, is in charge of Florida, I'm sure he can help you if you ask.

7. PingGolf Oct 6, 2014

Thanks UncleBuck, I just sent him a message.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 6, 2014

Orlando is 200+ miles away, but I think I may have hooked him up long distance.
    gatorcpa

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. Mothra Oct 7, 2014

:) I guess that's the American equivalent of you guys asking us if we all know the queen?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 7, 2014

Well, maybe the Floridian equivalent. You can drive well over 800 miles (Key West to Pensacola) and never leave the state. That same trip would take less than 2 hours by airplane.
    Capture.JPG
    Geography is a funny thing.
    gatorcpa

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 7, 2014

Hope you didn't mind my volunteering your help.
    We all know your' sphere of influence is measured in thousands, not hundreds!

Regardless, very gentlemanly of you, Thanks!

(You're Miami-ish?)

12. PingGolf Oct 11, 2014

I ended up taking it to a local clock and watch repair shop in the Orlando area, Swiss House. Great reviews online. Was told the mainspring was broken and was quoted $125 for repair. Does that sound like a reasonable price? I dropped it off, so I'm paying it no matter what, but just wanted to get someone else's opinion. Thanks

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 11, 2014

Not bad. When you factor in the cost of the mainspring, postage and insurance both ways it's probably not much more than the place I sent you to.

More "-ish" than Miami, but close enough.
    gatorcpa

14. PingGolf Oct 11, 2014

Good to hear, thanks for the reference gatorcpa. Decided to support local business and they've been around for 61 years.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2014

If they are doing a full service for that price, it's a bargain (provided they do the work properly of course).

Cheers, Al