Forums Latest Members
  1. Roel Feb 18, 2013

I like the aesthetics of the vintage Omega Constellation and I have been hoping for some time now to own my first Connie. I am reading a lot about the Connie and one thing that struck me was Desmond's thoughts about its rotor being non-jeweled and just using a bronze alloy. To quote him
    The non-jeweled rotor assembly may not be a problem to replace back then in 1960's, but how about now? If the rotor, rotor bridge or assembly fails now (I assume for any vintage Connie, it will eventually fail inherent to its design), is the assembly replacement still available? Who carry these replacement rotor, rotor bridge and assembly now?

Thanks in advance for the information. BTW, Desmond's blog is a fantastic read for me.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2013

Its an interesting point, but once they're serviced and lubricated I'm not sure its such a big deal. Modern lubricants should be able to make a positive impact too, though this is really something we'd need someone like Archer to chime in on

Keep in mind though, the Rolex Cal 1570 series, and the Rolex 3035, and even the Rolex 3135 have a non-jewelled sleeve bearing that wears out, my Cal 1570 powered Submariner cost a small fortune to rebuild after the rotor scraped around and left metal filings throughout the movement.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 19, 2013

The bushings do wear, and the only good solution is to replace the entire oscillating weight. One reason why servicing these regularly is important. Been a while since I bought a weight, but from memory they are not really cheap...but at last cjeck they are still available.

Not sure where you are getting your information about the Rolex movements, but they are most certainly jewelled at the oscillating weight post.

Note that the post is on the bridge for the Omega design, and the bushing on the weight, where on the Rolex the jewel in on the bridge, and the post is staked to the weight.

Cal 1520 you can see the jewel:

[​IMG]

Cal. 1575:

[​IMG]

Cal. 3035:

[​IMG]

Cal. 3135:

[​IMG]

They are all jewelled. This does not stop the post from wearing out, but they are certainly jewelled.

Cheers, Al

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 19, 2013

Actually the bushings on Omega rotor automatics are separate and easily replaced parts, there is no need to replace the entire rotor.

The bushings are cataloged as an individual parts and are obviously much less costly than an entire rotor.

IMG_2592.JPG

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2013

Hmm that wasn't the point that failed on mine, from memory it was the shaft that the rotor spins on that had worn away with time and the rotor was scraping constantly to the point of not spinning much anymore, it ended up being about $1700 including parts in total to overhaul that movement and get the watch back together

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2013

This is it when I got it, 31 years of constant daily use without ever being opened by a watchmaker since it was brand new in 1979, the rotor scraping had caused a fine metallic dust that got into everything but in particular the reversing gears and various other components had been wrecked, around $1000+ in parts as here in Australia there is no such thing as a Rolex Parts Account, so new Cal 1570 parts had to be sourced from UK suppliers at massive markup.

Once they had it apart he showed me the rotor shaft, and it had been eaten down to almost nothing where it makes contact

33645_169121036435574_4006188_n.jpg
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 19, 2013

Well, yes the bushing is a seperate part, but my recollection in talking with the instructor at Omega last year when I was there for training is that the bushings have been discontinued, and now you have to buy the whole unit. I just emailed Omega to see, and I will post their answer when I hear back.

Cheers, Al

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 19, 2013

Of course, the axle does wear as I said above. But there is a jewel there, not a bushing that wears. If it was like the Omega set-up, it would have been the bushing rather than the post. The softer of the two materials is going to be the one that wears, and in the case of the Rolex, it's the axle.

Cheers, Al

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 19, 2013

Well my memory is not as bad I was thinking it might be - as I was told last year, bushings are no longer available, and the entire rotor has to be replaced.

Cheers, Al

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2013

Ahk yea I must have confused the two

11. Submerged Aug 21, 2013

I am having a problem with a few of my Omega's (750 and 552) and the rotor being loose. I suspect it's this bushing or axle that needs replacing. Did anyone receive a response from Omega? Is there a good source to get these parts?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 21, 2013

Omega has complete rotors (oscillating weights) and axles available. I priced out a new one for a Cal. 563 not long ago and the rotor is $250, and the axle is something like $25.

Cheers, Al

felsby and Submerged like this.
  13. Submerged Aug 21, 2013

Thanks for responding to such an old thread Al. Could you point me in the right direction ordering this bushing from Omega?

Edit: I just saw that the entire weight has to be replaced...that's unfortunate.

14. John R Smith Aug 21, 2013

The 3xx series automatics ('bumpers') look as if the rotor bearings are jewelled. Is that correct, and can the bearings be replaced on these old-timers?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 22, 2013

The bearings for the post that the weight moves on are jewels yes. Friction fitted jewels like this can be changed in minutes, if you have replacement jewels. However when there is a jewel like this, it's much more likely that the post is going to be the part that wears.

Cheers, Al

John R Smith likes this.
  16. ketiljo Jan 27, 2014

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. It seems the bushings are available again. I found a reference at Cousins UK: OME5501429. Also a separate document about the bush (5038_Omega550Rotor post bush.pdf):

I have been in contact with Swatch to clear up why the bush needs to be reamed out. Swatch state that
    “The bushings are made to tolerance and the fitting process requires it to be a tight fit in the rotor to insure it does not fall off in use.
    This compresses the sides of the bush and therefore makes it a tight fit on the post.
    Wear and manufacturing tolerances on the post require the bush to be made on the small side to allow for adjustment.
    It would appear that a complete rotor with post also require reaming to fit.
    Years ago rotor posts were manufactured in step sizes:-
    72205501400(x) where x = B, C, D etc this allowed the selection of a post to fit the bush.
    But no more!
    Although there are a lot of these watches out there, they have been out of production for a long time.
    The re-manufacture of parts would have been done in large quantity batches and would preclude the possibility of matching individual parts.”
    I hope this clears up any questions or doubts regarding the bush supplied

This is good news. What calibers will the bush fit? I guess 55x, 56x and 75x? It it the inside of the bush, where it mates with the post that needs to be reamed?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 27, 2014

The bushing has to be reamed to fit the post - this is true if you replace just the bushings in the past, or the whole new rotor. Omega makes/sells specific reamers for this task.

Cousins may have an old supply of bushings, but I doubt Omega is selling them new ones...I will check again.

Cheers, Al

18. rolexfantastic Jan 27, 2014

Stocks can still be found. I would not worry to service or repair a vintage Constellation; on the contrary, i consider it's quite easy to source parts, considering the value, and not a pain in service. Either way, even with rotor or separately, it's not like buying a CO-AXIAL weight and bearing which are only coming together. The CO-AXIAL replacement parts cost would be as much as a variety of vintage Omega watches (took alone)...

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 27, 2014

Confusing post - are you referring to watches with a co-axial escapement, or a rotor and bearing that are "co-axial" (meaning on the same axis)?

I've bought parts for both things you are describing, and they are not terribly expensive...not any more to buy a weight and bearing assembly than it is to buy a rotor for a Cal. 550...both are about $250.

Cheers, Al

20. rolexfantastic Jan 27, 2014

It's a mix of factors here. First of all, parts coming from Switzerland are still considered imports. Second, VAT here is 24%, imports ~4.5%.
    Omega updated their movements consistently, after the 1120.. and i'm aiming the complete set: 2500, 8500, 9300 and their derived movements, but along with them they get expensive to repair compared to the beautiful 1120.
    I don't like the idea of buying assemblies instead of the standard parts as in traditional movements and although others may not feel, Omega seems to be in a permanent competition sometimes with themselves.
    Customers seem not to agree with the costs of the replacement parts but this is because nobody explained one the costs of repair of overhaul when bought the watch.
    While for the 55x, 56x, etc. families, i bought years ago NOS parts and i rarely had to buy anything.
    Although Omega was always the nearest to my heart - and still is -, i so much fancy the Rolex tradition of not changing much or still doing almost all parts in house no matter the trend.
    What better proof one needs then THE SUPREME TEST OF TIME ? Rolex seem to have passed it brilliantly!

/F